Alcools

Alcools

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  2,038 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Alcools, first published in 1913 and one of the few indispensable books of twentieth- century poetry, provides a key to the century's history and consciousness. Champion of "cubism," Guillaume Apollinaire (1880-1918) fashions in verse the sonic equivalent of what Picasso accomplishes in his cubist works: simultaneity. Apollinaire has been so influential that without him th...more
Published August 25th 1995 by Wesleyan (first published 1913)

Alcools by Guillaume ApollinaireThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeDubliners by James JoycePlease Kill Me by Legs McNeilA Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
for sol
1st out of 42 books — 3 voters
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeFear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. ThompsonThe Prince by Niccolò MachiavelliTravels with Charley by John SteinbeckGiovanni's Room by James Baldwin
Jeff Buckley's Bookshelf
156th out of 158 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenna
If you were never quite sure what the word "lyricism" meant, read this book. Apollinaire pays his due to formal constraints such as meter and rhyme, yet never gets bogged down by them. Like wily Hermes with his winged sandals, Apollinaire leaps athletically from image to image as though following the directives of some wild angelic muse, rather than obeying the dictates of ordinary terrestrial logic. The result is an exciting, spontaneous, unpredictable poetry whose substance it would be impossi...more
Keith Michael
i enjoyed bits of this. it saddened me to see so much rhyme in the original French that accompanies the more liberal English translations. i was inspired to read Apollinaire after seeing the first few lines of "Zone" referenced in an introduction to Stephen Mitchell's translations of Rilke:

"At last you're tired of this elderly world
Sheperdess O Eiffel Tower this morning the bridges are bleating
You're fed up with living in antiquity"

i liked a lot of the images, but i got lost in the denser poems...more
Julia Boechat Machado
LE PONT MIRABEAU

Sous le pont Mirabeau coule la Seine
Et nos amours
Faut-il qu’il m’en souvienne
La joie venait toujours après la peine.

Vienne la nuit sonne l’heure
Les jours s’en vont je demeure

Les mains dans les mains restons face à face
Tandis que sous
Le pont de nos bras passe
Des éternels regards l’onde si lasse

Vienne la nuit sonne l’heure
Les jours s’en vont je demeure

L’amour s’en va comme cette eau courante
L’amour s’en va
Comme la vie est lente
Et comme l’Espérance est violente

Vienne la n...more
Jlawrence
Apollinaire is a fascinating poet because he synthesized or presaged several early 20th-century movements (cubism, futurism, surrealism, modernism) with his own unique vision. A few of these poems are like knotty puzzles that can only be decoded via footnotes, but overall this collection is solid, and the best poems (Zone, Song of the Poorly Loved, Rhenanes, The Bethrothal, The House of the Dead, Vendemiaire) are sublime. This edition's translator (Anne Hyde Greet) offers copious, helpful notes...more
Marie-aimée
Mon recueil de poésie préféré. Des couleurs, des rimes, des émotions : de la poésie pure !!! A lire !

"NUIT RHÉNANE

Mon verre est plein d'un vin trembleur comme une flamme
Ecoutez la chanson lente d'un batelier
Qui raconte avoir vu sous la lune sept femmes
Tordre leurs cheveux verts et longs jusqu'à leurs pieds

Debout chantez plus haut en dansant une ronde
Que je n'entende plus le chant du batelier
Et mettez près de moi toutes les filles blondes
Au regard immobile aux nattes repliées

Le Rhin le Rhin est i...more
Chris Hearn
I couldn't sleep so I got in the bath and starting reading this out loud. Nearly three hours later I'm wrinkly as a granny, nearly lost my voice, and have completed what seems to me in my reading so far to be the greatest collection of poetry published in the twentieth century.
Vlad Stroescu
I read this book of poems while I was a young premed student. At that time, I was still avid of French symbolist poetry, and Apollinaire was a big step away from that. ("A la fin tu est las de ce monde ancien") Apollinaire is not at all a symbolist, he is not bored and exotic and artificially violently yearning. While, he is a master of verbal music making, as symbolitst were, he boldly experimented with form and thought content, but at the same time remained profoundly and immediately human, ev...more
Realini
Alcools by Guillaume Apollinaire

French is a beautiful language and French poetry can be sublime. I tend to be more conservative, if not in general, at least in what concerns poetry.
Since Appolinaire was a “champion of cubism” his poetry seems a bit strange, bizarre to me.

However there were some passages, verses I enjoyed and some “mots” I found striking….here there are:

“Fleurs morales”
“Baisers quintessencies”
“Cruaute des passiflores” I love the passion flower and still own one, I used to have 4…...more
Giada
☆☆☆ 1/2
Letto in lingua originale fa tutto un altro effetto. Apollinaire mi ha colpito in quanto avanguardista, in quanto trova un nuovo punto di vista. Mi sono piaciute approssimativamente metà delle poesie, anche se certe non le ho capite a pieno, mentre le altre le ho trovate del tutto insoddisfacenti. Però scrive in una maniera stupenda, rime impeccabili, riferimenti epici/storici, descrizioni crude, descrizioni erotiche... Fantastico. La mia preferita nella raccolta, in colluttazione con Le...more
Mays
"Et tu bois cet alcool brûlant comme ta vie
Ta vie que tu bois comme une eau-de vie"
-Zone

NUIT RHENANE

Mon verre est plein d'un vin trembleur comme une flamme
Écoutez la chanson lente d'un batelier
Qui raconte avoir vu sous la lune sept femmes
Tordre leurs cheveux verts et longs jusqu'à leurs pieds

Debout chantez plus haut en dansant une ronde
Que je n'entende plus le chant du batelier
Et mettez près de moi toutes les filles blondes
Au regard immobile aux nattes repliées

Le Rhin le Rhin est ivre où les vi...more
Asmayani Kusrini
Oh! L'automne l'automne a fait mourir l'été
Dans le brouillard s'en vont deux silhouettes grises

Automne (p. 84)
Iosune de Goñi García
«Voguait cygne mourant sirène».
S.
Take a clean sheet of paper, add some serious heliotropes for uplift, but damp down with the melancholy of almonds and gypsies and sad hotels. Note the pallor roseying, the radiance, the soar that switches to hover with the discreet scent of violets and leather. Some rainy alleyways. Paris. Wit an poignancy and spontaneity with an aftertaste you'd have to be an idiot not to appreciate.
Bob Hartley
Demi de cet livre, c'est couvert des notes. C'était difficule, en premier le lire, a déchiffrer quelles parties étaient poemes ou questions, mais il y a du pieces jolie. J'ai l'acheté pour développer mon francais, et je suis impatient du futur, quand je peux lire leur facilement et découvrir une nouvelle interprétation.
Matthew DeCostanza
Intriguing, but also slightly unsatisfying. "Snapshot" pieces like The Farewell, Twilight, The Gypsy and The House of the Dead are deeply moving and evocative, but poems like Zone drone on and on like a bland Rimbaud. All and all, I fear this is simply a poor translation. I must investigate Apollinaire further.
Revista
No se puede decir con plena autoridad que aquí comenzó todo. Quizás sí todo el siglo XX. Pero, aún más importante, el joven escritor, hizo mucho, muy rápido y muy milagorsamente. Su constancia en la gracia hace que ser su amigo sea lo más sencillo del mundo. Ser su "fan" o discípulo, es un poco "inelegant".
Ron Dakron
Appollinaire, charter member of the surrealists, had a wistful and humorous tone that some of his bros and sisters lacked. His poem "Zone" - "You are tired of this ancient world at last" is all he needed to write. But I'm glad he wrote more. (Again, read long ago, not sure if this is the same translation)
David
Possibly the best book of poetry I've ever read. Does this say more about the book or how sadly few books of poetry I've read, I'll leave up to you. After you read this, of course. Which you should. I reap upon it all the hyperbolic praise your imagination can muster.
Wells Crandall
Oct 13, 2007 Wells Crandall added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: French lit fans - classical
Though written in the 20th century, Apollonaire's poetry is much more flowing and visual than, say Preverts (in my opinion, and I'm a beginner!) The first poem, Zone, seems to contain elements of optimism and skepticism in pre WWII Europe.
Chad
I really struggled with whether to give this collection of poems 3 stars or 4. There were definitely a couple of poems that deserved five stars, but overall I decided on 3 because it was good, but didn't meet my high expectations.
Amélie
Etudie en class en 1e pour le bac. L'etude que nous avons fait en classe de plusieurs poemes m'a beaucoup interessee. J'ai beaucoup aime decouvrir tous les symboles caches dans le texte. Mon poemes prefer est Rhenanes.
Wes Youngblood
Dec 06, 2010 Wes Youngblood rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the french cannon
The poem "Zone" contains one of my favorite lines in all of litterature. "You drink an alchohol as caustic as your life." I am so smitten by it that I used it as a central theme in a short story.
Inhaeanir
A bit too freestyle for my taste, but some really beautiful images. Sometimes I'm even touched. Apollinaire remains a master and a poetic revolutionary man.
S
1913
Paris: Gallimard (c1920)
Garden City, NY: Doubleday, (1965, c1964)
William Meredith, trans.
Francis Steegmuller, intro & notes
Cyndie
C'est intéressant de ne voir aucune ponctuations dans les poèmes, on essaie ainsi d'avoir notre rythme propre. Très bonne surprise.
Georgy
Dec 01, 2007 Georgy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets
If you are an amateur-poet and want to learn, how the modern poetry should look like, this is the book you should begin with.
Edouard
"Le Rhin le Rhin est ivre où les vignes se mirent
Tout l'or des nuits tombe en tremblant s'y refléter"
Artem Huletski
Мне особенно нравится, как чувство у Аполлинера смывает даже знаки препинания. И каллиграммы, конечно.
Ashley
French poetry. My favorite poem in the world is in this collection, "Le Pont Mirabeau"
Beehive Magazine
Five stars for the original poems. Three for a fairly unimpressive translation.
  • Capital of Pain
  • Under Satan's Sun
  • Thérèse Desqueyroux
  • The Theater and Its Double
  • La guerre de Troie n'aura pas lieu
Wilhelm Albert Włodzimierz Apolinary Kostrowicki, known as Guillaume Apollinaire (in French pronounced [ɡijom apɔliˈnɛʁ]) was a French poet, writer, and art critic born in Italy to a Polish mother.

Among the foremost poets of the early 20th century, he is credited with coining the word surrealism and writing one of the earliest works described as surrealist, the play Les Mamelles de Tirésias (1917,...more
More about Guillaume Apollinaire...
Selected Writings Calligrammes: Poems of Peace and War (1913-1916) Les Onze Milles Verges The Poet Assassinated Les exploits d'un jeune don Juan

“Sous le pont Mirabeau coule la Seine
Et nos amours
Faut-il qu'il m'en souvienne
La joie venait toujours après la peine

Les mains dans les mains restons face à face
Tandis que sous
Le pont de nos bras passe
des éternels regards l'onde si lasse

Les jours s'en vont je demeure

l'amour s'en va comme cette eau courante
L'amour s'en va
Comme la vie est lente
Et comme l'Espérance est violente

Les jours s'en vont je demeure

Passent les jours et passent les semaines
Ni temps passé
Ni les amours reviennent
Sous le pont Mirabeau coule la Seine

Vienne la nuit sonne l'heure
Les jours s'en vont je demeure”
8 likes
“L'anémone et l'ancolie
Ont poussé dans le jardin
Où dort la mélancolie
Entre l'amour et le dédain

Il y vient aussi nos ombres
Que la nuit dissipera
Le soleil qui les rend sombres
Avec elles disparaîtra

Les déités des eaux vives
Laissent couler leurs cheveux
Passe il faut que tu poursuives
Cette belle ombre que tu veux”
4 likes