Start by marking “Walking on the Wind: Cherokee Teachings for Harmony and Balance” as Want to Read:
Walking on the Wind: Cherokee Teachings for Harmony and Balance

Walking on the Wind: Cherokee Teachings for Harmony and Balance

In the spirit of the highly acclaimed Medicine of the Cherokee, coauthored with his father J. T. Garrett, Michael Garrett shares with us the delightful, all-ages stories passed down from his great-grandfather and other medicine teachers. Blending his background as an Eastern Cherokee with his skills as a counselor, Michael reveals through these tales how to make sense of o ...more
Published May 1st 1998 by Bear & Company

To ask other readers questions about Walking on the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking on the Wind

Robyn Leatherman
Dec 09, 2011 Robyn Leatherman rated it it was amazing
There are few books that I'll sit down with highlighter or pen in hand to aid my reading. This book was one of the few. As I found phrases that were especially touching or lessons, such as the Cherokee art of Giveaway, my highlighter would swipe the ones of importance to me or the pen would leave a note here and there. It actually became more than a book for me. I studied it.
Josh Harwood
Jul 13, 2012 Josh Harwood rated it really liked it
Very inspirational and personal. I very much enjoyed it.
Danielle
Sep 01, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and feel grateful for these lessons of healing in which harmony and balance are a central focus along with learning how to participate in the healing that it is already going on in the world around us. I love the concept of the Circle of Life, treating the earth sacredly, that healing is found in the whole rather than the sum of its parts (in a group "Circle"), practicing gratitude, and learning the rule of acceptance. I also really like this lesson: "In the traditional Cheroke ...more
Adam
Nov 26, 2011 Adam rated it it was ok
I picked this book because of my interest in the traditions of Native American culture. I have several Native friends and I have been to numerous pow-wows and sweat cerimonies over the years. I knew that I would enjoy learning more details about the "Red Path". But after finishing reading, I can say that I chose the wrong book. There were some details about traditional Native beliefs and practices included but that was not the main focus of this book.

This book reads like a self-help book. I was
Caren Nguyen
Jan 30, 2017 Caren Nguyen rated it really liked it
Simple stories that children and teens can understand, but have profound lessons.... I found myself thinking and absorbing the teachings after reading each chapter. Many of the concepts remind me of Buddhist teachings about the cyclical nature of life, being versus doing, and tapping into our inner wisdom but it also ties it back to nature which I really enjoyed.
Anne G
Jan 26, 2008 Anne G rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Native American Culture! I bought this book back when I lived in Vermont at the Peace of Mind Emporium. This is one of those books I could read over and over again. I loved the different mental exercises.
Josefina Duran
May 16, 2011 Josefina Duran rated it it was amazing
This book has become one of my favorites. The whole book are to see within yourself. It is a book of the smoking mirror, of self reflection. I learned a lot but at the same time reflected and reinforce some teachings I have not been following or exploring. :-D
Heather Downs
Oct 07, 2012 Heather Downs rated it really liked it
The author provides a nice way of applying Cherokee teachings to our modern lifestyle. His training as a counselor and his knowledge of Cherokee culture provide unique insight. Highly recommended for anyone insterested in Cherokee wisdom.
Kendra
Various teachings and lessons with stories and information on how the Cherokee see self, balance, harmony, interactions with others, human, plants and animals.
Christian Baloga
Apr 22, 2013 Christian Baloga rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up while I was in Tennessee and was touched by every page of this book. It's been a while since I've read it but I'll be reading this one again and again!
Sara
Oct 09, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Good perspective, similar to the toltec wisdom from "the four agreements".
Kay
Aug 28, 2012 Kay rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Has great stories and exercises from the Cherokee tradition.
Randy Elrod
Dec 14, 2016 Randy Elrod rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Mm
Aug 21, 2015 Mm rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It's the kind of book that I found myself studying and going back to certain pages that gave me much insight not only into the Indian ways but into my own self.
Danielle Faucett
Danielle Faucett rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Arabellagreenleaf
Arabellagreenleaf rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2009
Jenifer
Jenifer rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Betty
Betty rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2012
Jessica Saeli
Jessica Saeli rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2017
PATRICIA BEASLEY
PATRICIA BEASLEY rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Casey V Woodsby
Casey V Woodsby rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2014
cindy mcmurtrey
cindy mcmurtrey rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2014
Jester Cynthia S
Jester Cynthia S rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2015
Quisha
Quisha rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2013
Staci
Staci rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2008
Vicky Wils
Vicky Wils rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Medicine of the Cherokee: The Way of Right Relationship
  • Spirits of the Earth: A Guide to Native American Nature Symbols, Stories, and Ceremonies
  • 365 Days Of Walking The Red Road: The Native American Path to Leading a Spiritual Life Every Day (Religion and Spirituality)
  • The Power of Four: Leadership Lessons of Crazy Horse
  • Blackfoot Physics: A Journey Into the Native American Universe
  • Proud Spirit: Lessons, Insights  Healing From 'the Voice Of The Spirit World'
  • Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves and Our World
  • Manitous: The Spiritual World Of The Ojibway
  • Dancing with the Wheel: The Medicine Wheel Workbook
  • Native Science: Natural Laws of Interdependence
  • Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao: A Spiritual Handbook for the Urban Warrior
  • The Bowl of Light: Ancestral Wisdom from a Hawaiian Shaman
  • Dancing the Dream: The Seven Sacred Paths Of Human Transformation
  • Simple Truths: Clear and Simple Guidance on the Big Issues in Life
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
  • Totem Magic: Dance of the Shape-Shifter
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals into Daily Life

“Expect nothing and appreciate the value of everything; this is the true lesson of the Rule of Acceptance.” 0 likes