A History of the Marranos

A History of the Marranos

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  2 reviews
The tradegy and romance of the story of the secret Jews of the Spanish Peninsula is a lesson that every one must learn and always remember.
Published January 1st 1987 by Schocken Books / Sepher-Hermon Press, Inc. (first published 1932)

Kressel Housman
I know I’m not alone in admitting that I often find history books hard to get through (an embarrassing admission in my case as I’m a freelance assistant to a historian), but I’ll sometimes push myself for the sake of the subject. That was certainly the case here in this history of the Jews who practiced an underground form of Judaism in Spain, Portugal, Amsterdam, and even the New World. The most grabbing part of it was unfortunately the most gruesome, and that was Chapter V, which was about the...more
Paola
Chi erano i marrani? come vivevano? cosa ne fu di loro? un buon libro con buone risposte a queste domande.
Ted Feder
Ted Feder marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Oriana
Oriana added it
Dec 14, 2013
Miyan
Miyan added it
Nov 01, 2013
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Marianna Vulakh
Marianna Vulakh marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Pene
Pene marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
Daniel
Daniel added it
Dec 09, 2012
Tim Welting
Tim Welting marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2012
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2012
Aaron Benarroch
Aaron Benarroch marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2011
Aine
Aine marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2011
Acgw11
Acgw11 added it
Jan 19, 2011
Manuela
Manuela marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2010
Cecil Roth (5 March 1899 – 21 June 1970),[1] was a British Jewish historian.

A prolific writer, Roth published more than 600 books and articles, which have been translated into many languages, including histories of the Jews in England (1941) and Italy (1946), A History of the Marranos (3d ed. 1966), The Jews in the Renaissance (1959), Jewish Art (1961), and The Dead Sea Scrolls (1965).

He was educa...more
More about Cecil Roth...
The Spanish Inquisition Dona Gracia of the House of Nasi Encyclopaedia Judaica (18 Volume Set) A Short History of the Jewish People History of the Jews (Schocken Paperbacks on Jewish Life & Religion)