Oh, Say Can You Rhyme

Oh, Say Can You Rhyme

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  4,233 ratings  ·  128 reviews
Caution: for advanced storytellers only! The tongue twisters in this book will have your children laughing for hours--and that laughter just might be directed at you! Mixing genuine words with classic Seuss vocabulary, Oh Say Can You Say gets trickier with every page. You'll start off easy with this cautionary limerick:
Said a book-reading parrot named Hooey, "The words in
Paperback
Published by Random House Trade (first published 1979)

Kathryn
There was much laughter when I first read this book. The tongue twisters are very difficult for young readers but I had problems trying to keep a consistent rhythm. Just try reading each twister faster than you usualy read and I guarantee you do not make it through to the end without a mistake, at least not on your first run through. This book is a keeper. Luckily, the library gave us two copies, one nested within the other, so I think we will keep one. Not really, but obviously the thought cros...more
June
Feb 27, 2013 June rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tongue twister requests
Read this since the copy of Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? that I got inter-library loan was scribbled all over on the pages.

Unfortunately, I had a lot of younger children stay over from lap time, so they were a little young and the class who I gear the program for came late and were stuck in the back, so weren't as involved. However, all the parents got a kick out of it and they were laughing out loud.
Holli
My tongue feels like jello and my brain gets a cramp every time I read this to my kids! lol
Ronda Wingo
Tongue-twisters galore. I love it.
Camilla Schulte
3-5th, who will get the slips and slurs, and will want to join in and have their own shot at trying to read it all without stumbling.
And, I must be give credit where credit is due, I am remarkable at reading these--and doing it fast!
Milo P.
Feb 16, 2013 Milo P. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Found it at the second hand store
"I like that there is a chef. He cooks fish."

I got this book at the second hand store. Mama bought it for me because I saw a copy of The Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss in my buddy's car. I really wanted that book. But, this book seemed to have rhymes like The Fox in Socks. Mama thought I would like it. She was right. I really liked the short tongue twisters. Papa read it to me a few times in the car on the way home. Rather than go into the store with Mama, I sat in the car with Papa to read it. That...more
Shamilah Gillani
I love this book of tongue-twisters by Dr. Seuss because it is so fun to watch students try to say these! Students become engrossed in the book and love trying out new phrases every time. This book teaches students about phonemic awareness and just makes reading fun. Students get to practice phrases with repeated beginning sounds. I may read this with our word of the week and possibly have students come up with their own tongue-twisters as an extension activity.
Nayantara
I don't know how many people really appreciate how much of a genius Dr. Seuss was. Yes, he wrote books for children and I love them when I was 6 and 7. But when I pick one now and read it... WOW! He had some really deep ideas within his quirky rhymes! Dr. Seuss is a MUST for all people of all ages. If you can't appreciate his works, there is something really wrong with you. I can think of no other author who can cater to as wide an audience as Dr. Seuss.
Luann
I don't remember ever reading this one as a child. Maybe if I had, I would like it better now. Dr. Seuss himself says: "Oh my brothers! Oh my sisters! These are terrible tongue twisters!" I don't think I would go as far as terrible. I'm going to use several of them in a library lesson on alliteration. But as far as a Dr. Seuss book goes, this just seems to be lacking that extra something that makes for a favorite.
Contemplative
So much fun to read! Full of silly tongue twisters. My 4yr old had fun trying to keep up with what I was saying. We heard a few of these previously on a Dr. Seuss CD that we checked out from the library. So, we enjoyed hearing them again (this time by mom) in book form. This will be a good book to return to once my 4yr old is reading then she can have a go at it. No doubt with fun and silliness! :)
Charlotta
This delightful read is one long tongue twister. I recommend this for any teacher or parent to read aloud to children nervous about their own reading abilities.

No one can get through this book without your tongue turning to jelly. When you read it aloud and invariably stumble across the tricky twisters; it shows that no one is perfect and it OK to not get it right sometimes.
Whitney Strickland
Just another awesome Dr. Suess book is what you will find when you read Oh Say Can You Say? Hooey a "book-reading" parrot is finds himself reading a book that is making his head spin! The words really get his tongue twisted and it will yours too. Children love this bok and they especially like to watch adults read it. Once agin Dr. Suess does a great job making me smile!
Lorraine
As an adult, with no kids, I have no reason to own or often read a children's book but after babysitting and reading this to some kiss, I discovered how much I enjoyed these tongue twisters. I bought and then left it behind in the move but it was also great as an exercise as a actor for warm ups. If I were to own this book again, it would be the only kid's book I'd own.
Samantha
Jan 03, 2012 Samantha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!!!
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
That was so amazingly fun!!! The last time my tongue had so much fun was the last time I read Fox in Socks out loud. These books cannot be read normally. They MUST be read aloud, no exception. Even if you are reading to no one and there are lots of people present. Such a sheer delight!!! Nothing like a good Dr. Seuss tongue twister to jumpstart the day. =D
Emkoshka
Tongue-twisters, Seuss-style! Gets a bit tiring after a while, but the situations and rhymes are as absurd, wacky and clever as ever.
Brett Hollinger
It's Dr. Seuss! What more can you say? Inspirational, appropriate and fun for any age.
Amber McMinn
This Dr. Seuss book is also aimed for preschoolers. It teaches how to rhyme and talks about many things. It mentions fresh fish, dinosaurs, bed spreaders, ape cakes grape cakes, money, and ducks. The topics it talks about have rhymes to them that follow into other subjects but still stay on track.
Jamie Tedesco
Reading this out loud to children may be difficult but it would be worth it in the fact of showing them that everyone can make a mistake (miscue) while reading. It could be a good way to make them feel more comfortable about reading. This is a tongue twister but a good engaging book.
April
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Aleya Peters
Oh my word. These tongue-twisters really got me going. The kids think it is hilarious when you fumble, and they love, love, love to try to repeat the tongue twisters. We could read this book over and over again and still laugh together and never get bored of the story.
Chelsea Merkley
As a former Community Actress and Vocal Performance Major, I found this book to be very intelligent.
It teaches enunciation and diction, while remaining laughable and silly for children's amusement.
My four year old boy loves this book!

-Chelsea Merkley
Wooden Horse
I love reading this book as fast as possible and stumbling over all of the tongue twisters! I've actually read it many many times over the years and have yet to read it from cover to cover without laughing hysterically and having to stop to catch my breath.
Meghan
This is a fun book to read out loud, especially in a room full of young children. The faster you read, the funnier it gets because you get so tongue twisted! I really enjoy Dr. Seuss books and this one is no exception. This book contains a plethora of rhymes.
Evan
Read on Dr. Seuss/Read Across America Day 2014 at Chester A. Arthur Elementary, brought to class by one of my 3rd graders (Salena W.) and read in its entirety with one of my 4th grade classes (Ms. D's) and partially with others (Ms. T's & Ms. R's).
Sonya
Awesome book! I thought I enunciated better but this book showed me where I need work. I was so excited reading the tongue twisters out loud that people were staring at me in the store. I recommend this book to everyone for the fun factor alone.
Heather
My favorite Suess! I can read this tongue-twisting book nearly perfectly. (Lots of practice.) But what my daughter really loves is to hear the unpracticed tongue (my mother's) trip wildly over all the silly rhymes and become hopelessly tied.
Katie Williams
A rhyming scheme poem, students can read this book to advance their phonics or identification of digraphs. Teachers could set students an assignment to find as many words as they can that end in -at or begin with th-. How many can they find?
Brad Gunnell
Easily my favorite Seuss book since my own grade school years. As a former Grade One teacher, this was the Bible of my classroom bookshelf though the twisters had become more recitations than readings. A must-have for your child's collection.
jacky
Mike read this aloud to Natalie at bed time. I read in a few places. This is another tongue twister book of Seuss's. Lots of repetition of words and sight words, but still, I would think this type of book would be frustrating to young readers.
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • The Bears' Vacation
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • Creolé
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both carto...more
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat Oh, The Places You'll Go! How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Lorax