Start by marking “Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?” as Want to Read:
Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?

Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog? (Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,599 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Would you rather be a clarinet . . . a trombone . . . or a drum? (How would you like to have someone going boom-boom on your tum?) Beginning readers are asked to ponder these–and a host of other odd choices–in this charming, provocative book by Dr. Seuss that encourages children to let their imaginations fly.
Published January 22nd 2008 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?

Lisa
May 03, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A favorite in our house. :)
Taylonbork
Oct 24, 2012 Taylonbork rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic Dr. Seuss book full of rhymes and silly words. This book is about whether the reader would like to be something good compared to another thing that is bad, or even good compared to silly. It's a funny book that starts out asking "would you rather be a dog.....Or a cat?" It continues on about many different options. This is a great book for a child but the ending may have them puzzled about why it is called "Would you rather be a Bullfrog?"
Sara Lemonade
Nov 17, 2014 Sara Lemonade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each time we read this book, if I chose a different one last time, I'll make the other choice this time, so things'll be fresh.
Tracy Parker
Good read! Not a huge Dr. Seuss fan, but I appreciate his work...on this important question, I would rather be a dog!
Michael Koreis
Oct 28, 2013 Michael Koreis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is all about figuring out what/who you are and what you want to be. This book seems like it is meant to help children realize that there are so many things they can be and that they have time to figure out who they are and what they want to be. I really like how at the end of the book Dr. Seuss says, “It’s hard to make up your mind about important things like that.” This quote explicitly tells the children that it is ok that they might be having a hard time discovering who they are. Th ...more
Rachel
Aug 15, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, wow, do I LIKE this book! Stories that ask children questions are always a hit, and this one may seem to ask silly questions, but it gets to the heart of who someone is. "Would you rather" is an interesting game to play, and a wonderful one to explore with children, especially in such a safe environment like the one provided with this book. However, I couldn't help but think of what the answers might reveal. Would I rather be a door or window? And why? Do I want to be able to see what's comi ...more
Robert
Jun 03, 2012 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: flowers22
Shelves: fiction, rhyme, 1-4, dr-seuss, own, cfc
An interesting Dr. Seuss book. Each two-page spread presents a choice for the reader of a preference. Would you rather be a clarinet or a trumpet, for instance.

Unlike most Dr. Seuss books, however, this one seems to have an edge. Sprinkled throughout are lines such as: "Come on! Tell me! Tell me please!" and "Come on, now. Tell me why." It comes off to me a bit aggressive for an early reader. Mind you, I am not trying to pansy-foot everything, it's just a bit more from the Seussman than I am use
Chrissy Muller
Sep 25, 2011 Chrissy Muller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! I can see how it can be interpreted in so many different ways according to what age of child is reading it. Like, from a young adult's standpoint, I really found deep meaning in some of these one-or-the-other questions. But I'm sure a child would actually consider being these things! The illustrations are very simple (drawn by Roy McKie), and they fit in to the structure of the pages very well. It makes it seem like they were completed together. I would like to have thi ...more
Kayla
This book is great for preschool because it asks them if they want to be different things and it will get their imagination going. It is not a typical Dr. Seuss book because Theo LeSieg wrote it with the help of Dr. Seuss. The pictures by Roy Mckie are great and funny more realistic animals than a Seuss book. I enjoyed reading this and it made me smile.
Samantha
A series of questions asks readers if they'd rather be this or that. Questions are inventive and if really explored/answered would make for some interesting conversation as the choices could pinpoint some associations readers make with each of the creatures and objects included in the book.

A fun read aloud with bright, colorful pictures.
Suzanne Moore
Mar 02, 2010 Suzanne Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-childrens
This book is fun to read with someone else. You can compare your answers as you dicuss whether you'd want to be this or that. With every page you are given a choice ... I chose to have a bushy tail, little horns, and purple hair. If you put those all together you'd have a wild thing, I'm sure!

In the end I guess I'd choose being a cat over a dog... meow!
Austin Wright
My friend Kevin is reading a list of best children's books. I am following suite in order to discuss the books with him. By default, I give the books four-stars because they're good at what they're intended to do, which is to keep the attention of children and introduce them to literature.

Everyone has hits and misses, this one came off as a miss.
Tara Calaby
Mar 01, 2012 Tara Calaby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, own
I started writing this review thinking that I'd given this book away YEARS ago and feeling a little rueful about that fact... only to have my mother inform me that she still had it in with HER books. WAY too excited about that.

This was one of my favourites as a kid. Kind of silly, really, but I loved deciding which I'd choose out of all the scenarios.
Katie Casey
Jun 11, 2014 Katie Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-kids
Would you rather be a bullfrog or a butterfly? A cat or a dog?

I like Eli & I had more fun with this one than the kids. Micah was insistent that he didn't want to be any of them, just Micah. LOL!
Sheree
Jan 18, 2010 Sheree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love this book...I was so excited to see it in the pediatrician's office today. I read it twice to my kids while we waited. It was so fun to watch their little faces think about the questions; it reminded me of how much I enjoyed this book when I was a child.
Kelly
Mar 31, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Another childhood fav I use when working with kids. Great message that some choices define you, but really don't matter all that much. It's okay to have an opinion and be yourself. It makes you unique. It's okay to like "this thing, that thing OR the thing inbetween"
Library
Feb 23, 2016 Library rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-readers
"It's hard to make your mind up about important things like that. (I can't even make MY mind up about that Dog and Cat.)"

Yet it wasn't hard to make up my mind about how cute and fun this pre Would You Rather? question book is.
Adam
A third of the time The Iza said, "A princess!" (There was never a princess.) A third of the time she said, "No! I not like that." And a third of the time she actually responded to what the book was asking. She was particularly excited when the mermaid came up.
Kendra
Oct 09, 2013 Kendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This one surprised me with how much we liked it! It was silly and my 5 year old understood the premise of the book enough to have a fun dialogue about what we would rather be after reading it. I enjoyed it and would look forward to reading it again.
Helena
Oct 07, 2008 Helena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This is a great book! We borrowed it from the library and are glad we did. Anika thought carefully about which thing she would rather be after each question. She practically memorized it during the time we had it.
Jnase1
Apr 15, 2013 Jnase1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me think of that game..."Would You Rather...?" I wonder if that game was inspired by this book? I bet this would be a fun book to partner read aloud.

BTW, my answer would be a cat. =)
April
Mar 03, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Leslie
Sep 28, 2010 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-readers
A classic Dr Suess. Perfect for a first grader who can read those first 50 or so sight words. It's silly, funny and full of the unexpected. My little boy thought it was okay, but has never wanted to read it again.
Nicole
Feb 04, 2012 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favourite Cat in the Hat book, but my (almost) 3yo son loved it. His review, "This one a bit funny". After reading it together, he took the book from me & "re-read" it, asking me the questions.
I could see some use for this in the classroom also, especially when exploring identity.
Drew Paige
Very repetitive just like a typical Dr. Seuss book would be. The more I read these books the less i find a good use for them. They can be very confusing and it is almost worth skipping to the last page to see what will actually happen.
Keegan
My son likes this. His favorite thing to choose to be in the Spook which makes sense since he was a ghost for Halloween last year. He humors us while reading and answers the other questions until we get to the spook, but that's his favorite.
Emily Powers
Nov 24, 2015 Emily Powers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beginning-books
This book is a very basic reading level and is great for students who are just learning to read. It is a simple book but yet the pictures and illustrations are very intriguing. I would use this in Kindergarten!
Danielle Wynn
Dec 05, 2010 Danielle Wynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: imagination, fun
This is great book to let childrens imagination soar!!! I would read this book to my Pre-K-1st grade students and allow them to draw what they would want to be and why!
Christy
This book can create a good discussion with your kids about which things they'd rather be and why -- fun.
ABC
Aug 05, 2010 ABC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
It starts off "Would you rather be a dog or a cat?" Great for starting conversations. Also very good for ESL.
  • The Nose Book
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Frog, Where Are You?
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Thomas and Percy and the Dragon (Thomas & Friends: Step into Reading)
  • Wings on Things
  • New Tricks I Can Do!
  • Roar of a Snore
  • Fred and Ted like to fly (Beginner Books)
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • Clifford's Busy Week (Clifford the Big Red Dog (Paperback))

Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Nose Book
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • I Can Write! A Book by Me, Myself (Bright & Early Book)
  • In a People House
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff / The Foot Book / Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (Bright and Early Board Books, Pack D)
  • Blue Train, Green Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • Fast Train, Slow Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words