Start by marking “Working with Emotional Intelligence” as Want to Read:
Working with Emotional Intelligence

Working with Emotional Intelligence

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,905 ratings  ·  117 reviews
Do you have what it takes to succeed in your career?

The secret of success is not what they taught you in school. What matters most is not IQ, not a business school degree, not even technical know-how or years of expertise. The single most important factor in job performance and advancement is emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is actually a set of skills that a
Published January 4th 2000 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Working with Emotional Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working with Emotional Intelligence

Phenomena by Susan TarrWhen Elephants Weep by Jeffrey Moussaieff MassonLucky Go Happy by Paul Van Der MerweEmotional Intelligence by Daniel GolemanMiranda Bay by Susan Tarr
Emotions
12th out of 88 books — 35 voters
Eat Move Sleep by Tom RathThe Heart Aroused by David WhyteHow to Read a Book by Mortimer J. AdlerManaging Transitions by William  BridgesLeadership Is an Art by Max DePree
RLF 2013
17th out of 24 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Deann
I was forced to read this book for class and it was extremely underwhelming. It is as if the writer is trying to sell you on his idea by bashing you over the head with endless examples that prove his point. Save yourself a whole lot of time and monotony and read this one sentence, which sums up the whole book: Business professionals are most effective when they employ empathy, social skills, and a positive attitude, all of which are more important than IQ or expertise. There. You read the book. ...more
Chad Warner
Jun 09, 2010 Chad Warner rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chad by: Lee Eilers
Interpersonal skills are especially important in Information Technology, because purely technical skills are easily outsourced. I've become increasingly aware of this since I launched my technology services company, OptimWise, because although many aspects of IT are based online, real business is still mostly done "IRL" (in real life); where face-to-face conversations and other social skills are much more important.

A local entrepreneur recommended this book for its insights into the "soft" perso
John
Because I was working in a testosterone filled hierarchy at the time I read this, it was like being handed a big, secret, club.

My coworkers generally didn't know what hit them - using Goleman's analytic framework allowed me to maneuver project teams into win-win outcomes.

Teaches you how to recognize impediments, how to understand what drives the other party's position (or at least how to figure out what that is), and best of all, how to use that knowledge.

GREAT read for anyone who regularly ne
Ron
Feb 12, 2013 Ron rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: work
No real rocket science here... Getting ahead may actually count more on your emotional IQ (see items below) than it does on your intellectual IQ. I'd only suggest reading one Goleman book. I suspect they all rehash the same thoughts.

Part 2 – Personal Competence (12 specific job capabilities)

Chapter 4 – Self-awareness
• Innovation
Chapte
Justin
Aug 26, 2008 Justin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone on a rung of he "corporate Ladder"
Recommended to Justin by: My good eye
Working with Emotional Intelligence is a must read for anyone who wants to move up the corporate ladder. Today's business atmosphere is changing rapidly, and anyone without emotional intelligence will likely find moving upward in their company very difficult.
Sergei_kalinin
Пока - лучшая книга Гоулмана, из известных мне :)

Мега-рецензия на неё и всякие дополнительные вкусности - в моем блоге: http://s-kalinin.blogspot.ru/2013/07/...
Patricia
notes recently found on a book read a while back!

I have been reading non-fiction, Working with Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Coleman. It seems that everyone I mention this to says he same thing.....There is a lot of emotional in the work place, but not very much intelligence! This is not a self help book, but one that explains what emotional intelligence is and how companies are beginning to realize that their bussiness can be effected by the emotions of their workers. My favorite quote is "T
Brian Rast
Yasser Hassan
A review of the audio book edition: In this book, Daniel Goleman takes the theoretical foundation and concepts laid in the previous book "Emotional Intelligence" and puts them into application. While "Emotional Intelligence" is about how to understand emotional intelligence, this book is about how to practice it. Although Daniel Goleman mainly addresses the workplace and professional life in this book, still the knowledge provided can be effectively applied on the personal level and in dealing w ...more
Armin
The value of this book is that it provides a well-structured overview of which emotional compentencies are important in a coorporate setting and why. There is not much completely new information here, but even though many of these things you may think are anyway clear, it helps heightening your awareness towards these compentencies.

The problem I have with this book is that it does not provide any techniques that help you gain these competencies. The knowledge alone that, for instance, commitmen
Joseph
this was a great book that helped me understand symptoms and manifestations of officepolitik.

not only that but i appreciate the insight that goleman gives re: office bullies. it provides a model for which one can understand one's motivation and actions. the book provides a great framework that shows tried and true methods that help improve one's social intelligence.

Alexander
Not as good as the first (so far). The organization of the book is a bit frustrating, with no clear direction of where Goleman is headed.

The first book definitely had a greater impact on me. The last 75 pages or so seemed to drone on about the same topics, with little new insights.

I think the typical reader could do without reading this book if they've already read the first.
Kirei
I read the original book "Emotional Intelligence" way back a million years ago when it first came out. I barely remember it, but I think it was pretty good.

This book, however, feels like Goleman put a book together to make more money on Emotional Intelligence. It is business oriented and most of it was either not very interesting or it was common sense.
Dayla
Great suggestions. If you are on the spectrum, ADHD, or OCD, this book should be your Bible, especially if you have ever been uncomfortable at work and you really didn't know why. This book has great insight.

However, between this book and John Gray's "men are from mars....at work" I would prefer Gray's book for more gender-tailored advice.

Kc
Learnings:

Emotional competence involves two things (1) empathy in reading the feelings of others, (2) social skills to handle those feeling artfully

Integrity - acting openly, honestly and consistently - sets outstanding performers apart

The first step in influence is building rapport
Peep Laja
Jun 03, 2007 Peep Laja rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody
This is a follow-up to Emotional Intelligence, so read that first.

I found this book to be highly practical, way more pragmatic than the previous book. If you read the E.I., I strongly recommend to read this too to get the most out of this topic.
Shravani Ganti
Great detail on how mind actually deals with emotions. I found the science part of the book amazing.
Rest will be good if you are into reading philosophy. Not something am fond of.
Sara
This book totally justifies why we shouldn't push pressure on perfect grades. More important to have experience running events, leading organizations etc.
Zhiyar Qadri
theory applied and explained with brilliant simplicity.
Erika RS
One of the weaknesses of Emotional Intelligence as a professional development book is that it focused mainly on academic research which, in turn, focused mainly on children and education. This book sets out to present the same material using research about the working world (generally from business consultants and companies looking at their own workforce).

I felt the book suffered from a lack of strong organization. Where Emotional Intelligence was strongly structured around the 5 core emotional
Victor Kryvenko
Классика. Что еще можно сказать про книгу? Маст рид для всех-всех менеджеров. Единственный ее минус – это размер. Читается хоть и легко, но очень долго. Зато полезно…

То, что эту книгу нужно перечитывать несколько раз каждому руководителю даже не обсуждается. Это даже уже не прилично – не знать что такое эмоциональный интеллект и не пользоваться этими знаниями.

Я для себя в процессе работы и практики делаю разделение на руководителей “нашего” типа. Я имею ввиду немного совкового типа. Это самодур
Dmitry
This book discusses a rather important issue, but it is really, really badly written. I was especially underimpressed by it against the backdrop of the recently read "Thinking, fast and slow" by Daniel Kahneman.

The book is EXTREMELY long-winded. Long after it made its (perfectly convincing) point, it goes on and on piling one example on top of another in the style of chain letters, for further persuasion value adding a bunch of meaningless numbers: such and such billions of dollars of financial
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro La práctica de la inteligencia emocional, de Daniel Goleman.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: habilidades directivas, inteligencia emocional, desarrollo profesional.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro La práctica de la inteligencia emocional, Las 25 habilidades emocionales esenciales para un desempeño eficaz en el trabajo: La práctica de la inteligencia emocional
Heba
The value of this book is that it provides a well-structured overview of which emotional competencies are important in a corporate setting and why. There is not much completely new information here, but even though many of these things you may think are anyway clear, it helps heightening our awareness towards these competencies.
Kevin Driskill
This is very good book filled with tons of information. The beginning was slow in that it used up 45 page letting you know how much you need to read this book. After that it is like drinking from the fireplug. Lots to process and absorb. It is geared for the vocationally minded, so may seem a bit crass as a general read but if you are about learning how to do business better this one will stimulate a lot of ideas.
Dorotea Brandin
Without this book probably today, the whole concept of Emotional Intelligence would never have become accepted as fundamental among the soft skills that leaders need to develop. However, as in my review on his first book, I still wish that Goleman gave more practical tips to his readers. I presume he did not want to fall in the category of a self-hep book? From the title Working with Emotional Intelligence, my expectations on more information on the behavioural aspect of EQ were unconsciously ti ...more
Muhammad Magdi youssif
A very BORING book, I couldn't even complete it
In this book Daniel Goleman is explaining how Emotion Quotient (EQ) matters more than Intelligence Quotient (IQ) , then he started to explain the Emotional Competence Model that is composed of 1- Self Awareness 2- Self regulation 3- Motivation 4- Empathy 5- Social Skills besides demonstrating examples from real life on how each of these capacities matters. sometimes you will feel lost reading this book due to the HUGE amount of useless anecdotes and
Anne
At this stage, it's probably not fair to review Goleman on intelligence. It's probably a little like reading Shakespeare and getting annoyed by the cliches.
J
This book is jam-packed with information from start to finish - and the information is engaging all the way through. There is so much in the way of relevant information that can be beneficial for people from all walks of life. Goleman rightly points out that while cognitive ability and IQ do carry their own importance, such competencies are eclipsed by emotional competency. he makes some cogent arguments and supports them with reliable data. This book is highly recommended for anyone who has an ...more
  • Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning
  • The Farther Reaches of Human Nature (Esalen Book)
  • de Bono's Thinking Course
  • Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking
  • How to Argue & Win Every Time: At Home, At Work, In Court, Everywhere, Everyday
  • The Enneagram Made Easy: Discover the 9 Types of People
  • Successful Intelligence: How Practical and Creative Intelligence Determine Success in Life
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • How Can I Get Through to You?: Closing the Intimacy Gap Between Men and Women
  • Co-Opetition
  • The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book: Everything You Need to Know to Put Your EQ to Work
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • Homecoming: Reclaiming and Championing Your Inner Child
  • Frames Of Mind: The Theory Of Multiple Intelligences
  • Making a Good Brain Great: The Amen Clinic Program for Achieving and Sustaining Optimal Mental Performance
Author of Emotional Intelligence and psychologist Daniel Goleman has transformed the way the world educates children, relates to family and friends, and conducts business. The Wall Street Journal ranked him one of the 10 most influential business thinkers.

Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence was on The New York Times best sellers list for a year-and-a-half. Named one of the 25 "Most Influential Busine
More about Daniel Goleman...
Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama

“out-of-control emotions can make smart people stupid.” 0 likes