Start by marking “Seldom Seen in August” as Want to Read:
Seldom Seen in August

Seldom Seen in August

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Wade Crawford is not a good guy. He’s a bank robber and a ruthless killer, and now three people are dead and Wade is on the run. With the cops hot on his heels, he breaks into a seemingly ordinary house in a seemingly ordinary neighborhood to hide and wait on word from his partner.

But this neighborhood is far from ordinary. Indeed it has a very specific purpose, and soon
Chapbook, signed limited to 150 numbered copies, 39 pages
Published 2008 by White Noise Press

To ask other readers questions about Seldom Seen in August, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seldom Seen in August

Shandra {The Happy New Mrs}
Initial thoughts: An interesting concept, an entertaining read. Review to come.

A solid three stars. No spoilers.

Review:

This will be a short review, since this was a short read. The story opens with our main character on the run after committing a crime. He finds himself in a quiet street, and proceeds to break into what he thinks is a quiet house. He plans to hide out for the day, and hopes that no one will come home in the meantime. The house isn't what it seems. And he's dealt a hand he hadn
Chris
I will give this one 3 1/2 stars because I enjoy reading anything KPB writes even if I don't get into the story so much. I didn't care for the twist in the story or the resolution (opinions may vary) but I gave extra points for execution. KPB is really a marvelous writer.

If you haven't read any KPB novellas, I would recommend starting with The Grief Frequency, which is devastating.
Gatorman
I liked this short story from Burke but not as much as other stories I have read by him. I didn't completely buy the premise of what happens to Wade nor did I feel the resolution really brought the story to a satisfying conclusion. Nevertheless, it is well-written (as usual with Burke) and compelling.
Jason Parent
Well, this story didn't quite go the way I expected it to. Creepy beginning with a strong, love-to-hate lead - the makings of a great ghost story, turned Clockwork Orange way after Clockwork but Cabin in the Woods way before Cabin.

Check it out. Solid horror tale.
Kerrie
enjoyed this one.. although I think it had the potential to be a full book rather than a short story
Brandon Nagel
A scary piece of fiction. Short but powerful. A new way to control and punish the evil and wicked. You will never forget...
Jeff French
Excellent story! I've come to expect nothing less from Kealan. He is a master wordsmith. His descriptions and metaphors paint very vivid pictures. I love the cockiness of the main character, Wade, and how that cockiness slowly disintegrates given the situation in which he finds himself. The ending is so sudden and so creepy. As despicable as Wade is, I couldn't help but feel sorry for him at the end knowing what is going to happen to him. If you are a horror fan, you should be reading Kealan Pat ...more
Crystal Rafuse
As the third story in The Novellas, I have to say so far, this story has been the hardest for me to follow. While I like the idea of using someone's worst memories as a sort of penitence, I still found Cochran's methods a little difficult to follow (that could just be my head-cold talking, though... May have to give this one another read after my sinuses clear). The ending was perfectly spooky though, so big points for that!
Steph
This was an exciting short read, I really enjoyed this one. To me, Mr. Burke blends sci-fi and horror nicely, which is hard to accomplish successfully, but I think he does that here quite well. I'd recommend this one looking for a fast read that will keep you wondering :-)
I don't like those creepy eyed dolls either.
Ashley James
great premise almost feel wasted on such a short story but maybe it worked better that way loved reading thisa and felt disappointed when i finished it as i wanted more well worth a read
Cristian Marrero
A fast read. This character Wade sounded good but the idea of a torture room is Seldom Seen with technology and manipulation of the mind.
John Copeland
Well written, strong central character but too far fetched and unbelievable and with a disappointing payoff.
Jewbo23
Nothing great here. A decent set up but not a big fan of the pay off.
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Lisa Cleveland
Lisa Cleveland marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Ebook
Ebook marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Kat Stark
Kat Stark marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Robert Krone
Robert Krone marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born and raised in Dungarvan, Ireland, Kealan Patrick Burke is the Bram Stoker Award-winning author of five novels (Master of the Moors, Currency of Souls, Kin, The Living, and Nemesis: The Death of Timmy Quinn), over a hundred short stories, four collections (Ravenous Ghosts, The Number 121 to Pennsylvania & Others, Theater Macabre, and The Novellas), and editor of four acclaimed anthologies ...more
More about Kealan Patrick Burke...
The Turtle Boy (Timmy Quinn #1) Kin Underneath The Hides (Timmy Quinn #2) Vessels (Timmy Quinn #3)