Start by marking “The Amazing Bone” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,167 ratings  ·  151 reviews
It's a bright and beautiful spring day, and Pearl, a pig, is dawdling on her way home from school. Most unexpectedly, she strikes up an acquaintance with a small bone. "You talk?" says Pearl. "In any language," says the bone. "And I can imitate any sound there is." (Its former owner was a witch.) Pearl and the bone immediately take a liking to each other, and before you kn ...more
Published September 1st 1976 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Amazing Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amazing Bone

Miriam
Pearl, a young pig, is wandering around after school, daydreaming and enjoying nature, when she happens to meet... a bone. A friendly, talkative bone who has escaped from a grumpy witch and is looking for a better home. Pearl and the bone quickly make friends, but will friendship be enough to get them safely through the dangerous woods?
Ronyell
Bone

“The Amazing Bone” is another classic from William Steig and is also the most dramatic book due to the main character being put into peril in a number of cases. William Steig’s hand-drawn illustrations and his intense yet soothing storytelling makes this book an instant treat to enjoy.

“The Amazing Bone” sets the perfect storyline about the power of friendship and the dangers of the outside world to a child. William Steig dramatically tells how some strangers are dangerous to children by depictin
A.F.T.
This was an incredibly intense book, with guns and knives and terror. I wasn't expecting that at all. It was genius and amazing and beautiful though, and now officially one of my favorites.
Josiah
This is the kind of book that William Steig consistently creates better than almost anybody else. It's a picture book, yes, but it's built on a subtly intellectual foundation, and it's a completely told story, smoothly unfolding from beginning to end.

I can certainly see how The Amazing Bone would have received official attention from the Caldecott committee in 1977. The artwork in the book is some of William Steig's finest, coating the pages with rich color and a kind of life that seems to pra
J.M. Hushour
Kids books, like any kind of literature, can vary widely, but, let's face it, most of them are shit. Then, every once in a while you find one that is supremely challenging to everything that you thought possible in kids' literature and literature and general. Something that tears down assumptions of what is trope and what is not, something that breaks downs the very thin border between surrealism and children's literature, something that in its sheer lunacy transcends the hazy line separating hu ...more
Haley Elliston
I read this book for a "Gardening and Literature" class I took for my MA degree at the University of Maine. The class itself was really unique in that we discussed our readings while planting a labyrinth garden on University grounds. This particular book was part of our children's lit. reads, and was fun to explore as an adult reader. Ultimately, this story is a very typical fairy tale. It reads like a combination of the Grimm's Fairy Tale "The Singing Bone" and "Little Red Riding Hood" - the pi ...more
Mei-Ling
surprisingly violent...but "the seventies were a different time" according to Kricket :)
Clacie
This one we really liked. We'll definitely look for more stories by William Steig.
Dolly
Oct 22, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a very strange story. We listened to it being narrated on audiocassette by John Lithgow as we followed along with the book, and with his amazing storytelling skills, we were transfixed by the story. After we listened to it, I read it again and realized that it really is a very strange tale. Overall, though, the illustrations are great, the story is entertaining and we really enjoyed the audio version of this book.
Snorkle
While I did enjoy looking at the bright and cheery (for the most part) pictures of this book, I was a little dismayed at this story line. It seemed awfully convenient the way things worked out, and it was terribly random. I'm not sure I'd recommend this book, it was slightly strange and a little bit weird.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Kirei
This book was kind of weird. I gave it three stars because my son seemed to enjoy it, but personally I felt it deserved only two.

A pig finds a talking bone. Robbers try to steal it from her--the illustration shows them with a gun to her head! Then a fox steals it and attempts to cook and eat the pig, but of course the pig and bone escape. The ending is nothing special.
Anya Gupta
I like it when the fox first became the size of a rabbit and then became the size of a rat.
Shannon
I'm a sucker for a well-dressed fox and a somewhat daft pig with rad facial expressions. The ending was great, and my kids liked comparing it to other examples of traditional literature.
Kristine Pratt
I'm not entirely sure why I didn't like this book very much. I honestly wanted to. Perhaps the fact that it was a bone that was talking kind of threw me off. Given a world where every animal is sentient, it feels too much like this bone isn't just a harmless animal bone, it's SOMEONE who is determined to continue to have a part in society regardless of um...life challenges?

I liked the attitude of the little girl - how much she loves life. I like how plucky she is, but wishing she'd fight harder
Linda Lipko
Move over Maurice Sendak, Steig could have shown you one or two things about how to frighten a child with the words and illustrations of his book!

Cute little Pink Pig Pearl wanders in the forest on an absolutely perfect day. Finding a talking bone, she is not frightened, but rather is amused and puts the bone in her purse to carry home.

Traveling home she comes upon three nasty mask wearing critters with guns and knives. One image shows the evil masked critter places the gun right next to Pearl's
Jill
All right, where do I start...

I first read this book in college when we had to read 40 Caldecott books as part of our children's lit class. Best assignment ever! I remember writing that this book might be scary to little kids.

What I did not remember was how incredibly wordy this book is. This is the story of Pearl, a little pig who finds a talking bone. When she is practically mugged by creepy guys with guns and masks, the bone scares them away. It is not so successful when a mean fox comes. He
Rodricucuz Vaughn

1. The genre : Traditional Literature

2. The Amazing Bone by William Steig is an adorable story about a pig named Pearl who finds several surprises on her journey home from school from a talking bone to robbers.

3. Critique

a. The Amazing Bone is a wonderful book , I loved not only reading this book but I loved the colorful illustrations in the book.

b. The Amazing Bone relates to children in my opinion by expressing the theme " grownups" at the beginning of the book. Right then children can rel
Stephanie
This book, which I think is most appropriately written for an audience of fourth grade or older, was a 1977 Caldecott Honor Book. The main character, Pearl, a piglet, dawdles on the way home from school, and after finding a magic bone, is caught by a fox. The fox threatens Pearl and the bone, then takes Pearl back to his house, intending to eat her for dinner! The bone saves the day, and Pearl takes the bone home where it earns a loving place among her family.
The beautiful pastel illustrations
Kelly
Title: The Amazing Bone

Author: William Steig

Recommended Ages or grades: Preschool - 7

The Amazing Bone is a story about a pig that finds a talking bone in the forest. She picks up the bone and takes the bone home with her. On her journey home, she encounters robbers that have pistols. They want her purse and the pig will not give them her purse because her bone is in her purse. So the bone pretends to be a snake and the robbers run off. Later, she encounters a sly fox that is not fooled by the bo
Elayna Gilbert
Pearl, a young pig, is wandering around after school, daydreaming and enjoying nature, when she happens to meet... a bone. A friendly, talkative bone who has escaped from a grumpy witch and is looking for a better home. This story is very cute and I enjoy the drawings. Although they are older looking, they are very into detail and the book even won an award. I would use this in my classroom for an activity with bones maybe or they can go on a scavenger hunt.
Elines Flores
I really did not know how to feel about this book. For most of it I was just laughing at the silliness of the story. However, the reason I gave it two stars was some of the situations Pearl, main character, faced. At one point she was getting robbed and was held at gunpoint. What's worse is that the picture showed it happening! That was one of the moments of disbelief that I had to just chuckle at. Not one I would put out for my young readers.
McKinzie Elton
I will tell the students that the book we are about to read has a part to it about language. I would ask my students if they, too, are multilingual and provide an opportunity for them to demonstrate their language skills to their classmates.

After reading the book we could together as a class learn a few words in a new language.

www.ipl.org/youth/hello - teaches how to greet one another in a multitude of languages.
Rachel
This was an odd book. It reminded me of an early Grimm Brothers story in the way that it was a bit gruesome and scary, but as far as I know it was original. It won a 1977 Caldecott Honor award. Pearl is young pig returning from school on a beautiful spring day, when she decides to enjoy nature for awhile. She finds a talking bone under a tree doing the exact same thing. The bone can talk in multiple languages and can imitate any sound on earth. Pearl decides to take the bone home with her and on ...more
Jackie
A little pig happens upon a magic, talking bone while walking in the forest. Having been dropped out of a witch's basket, the bone longs for new adventures with the little pig...and that it gets! The two become a cunning and powerful duo, fooling and tricking robbers and wolves who meet them while walking home.
Kellie Deruwe
The Amazing Bone won the Caldecott Honor Medal in 1977 which I believe deserved the award for its originality and pastel illustrations. As I was reading the story I was in shock of how mature I felt the story and images were. I especially felt the page with guns and knives was a bit too much for young age children which is why I would not share this book with a child below third grade, possibly even fourth grade depending on how mature the kids are.
I do think this book would be a good opener wh
Rachel Rouleau
Kind of violent and morbid for younger kids. A robber holds a gun to Pearl the pig's head. Then when she thinks the fox is going to eat her, she says, "I'm only just beginning to live...I don't want it to end." Dark. Overall did not really appeal to me even to come back to when my daughter is older.
Jana
I've read a number of William Steig's books with my 5th grade students, so I'm looking forward to sharing this with them as well. Witty and charming illustrations go along with a story of happiness and courage. I'll be interested to see the connections my student make to the other Steig books we've read.
Rachel
Got The Amazing Bone along with other William Steig books based off a list from Honey for a Child's Heart.

I'll be noting in my edition of Honey that this one was off the mark. It's random (which is usually a plus for me, ironically), dark, and just bizarre.

Don't want my kids reading this.
Claudia Bell
I do not like this book. Having a bone as a friend and companion is very weird. Even though I love good fairy tales, this book had some very creepy scenes in it. After having read the wonderful book "Dr. DeSoto" reading this book was very disappointing. I would not buy this book for my child.
Monique Clem
By: William Steig
Age group: P-7

I was not necessarily a fan of this book. It was just boring and so unrealistic. I don't know of anyone who would want a bone as an imaginary friend. But the story is of a pig that comes across a talking bone, she befriends the bone and it protects her. She comes across animals that want to eat her and at first the bone works then the pig encounters a fox and the bone can't scare him away so he takes her home to eat her. In the end the bone puts a s
  • Nothing At All
  • The Treasure
  • On Market Street
  • It Could Always Be Worse: A Yiddish Folk Tale
  • When Clay Sings
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer
More about William Steig...
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble Doctor De Soto Shrek! Abel's Island Brave Irene (Sunburst Books)

“Later she sat on the ground in the forest between school and home, and spring was so bright and beautiful, the warm air touched her so tenderly, she could almost feel herself changing into a flower. Her light dress felt like petals.
"I love everything," she heard herself say.
"So do I," a voice answered.
Pearl straightened up and looked around. No one was there.”
13 likes