Start by marking “Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!” as Want to Read:
Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!

Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him! (Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,332 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
From Alice and Abe to Zeb and Zipper, an alphabetical array of guests turns out for the biggest birthday party ever. But Hooper Humperdink isn’t on the guest list!
Published January 24th 2006 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 24th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!

Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonHorton Hears a Who! by Dr. SeussGo, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman
Titles with an Exclamation Point!
126th out of 635 books — 46 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
51st out of 62 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

My all-time favorite book when I was a wee kid. I always felt a kindred spirit to Hooper. And my mom had that book memorized. I remember picking out which kid on each page I wanted to be... the one in the round roller-coaster car that looked like a soup bowl, the kid on the big ice cream tank, and weren't there bikes flying in the air with the balloons? Love you always, Hooper! You're invited to my parties.
May 28, 2014 Samantha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There's going to be a big party, but the host doesn't want to invite Hooper Humperdink; it's never really explained why. Guests on the list have names that begin with every letter of the alphabet. Text rhymes and pictures features characters that resemble dolls.

I didn't like the way Hooper is excluded. On top of that he's illustrated to look a little stranger than the other kids as if that might play in to why he isn't well liked among the other children. In the end, he's invited to the party t
Feb 06, 2014 Jenny rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
I liked the rhyming of the fun names in alphabetical order and the hyperbole of the huge party. But, the whole book is about how over and over the narrator plans to exclude someone. He is made to feel bad the whole time until the very last page. Inviting him at the last minute hardly makes up for the cruel and obvious exclusion the whole time.
Meredith Kunz
Apr 13, 2008 Meredith Kunz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic rhymes, humorous use of children's names. Snarky and funny. Helped my daughter learn her ABCs -- each page follows the alphabet by naming children who will be invited to a fantastic party (but "Not Hooper"). We have a vintage version from when I was a kid--and I still laugh at the lines about "Party Pooper" Hooper.
Sep 06, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
This is more of an ABC book than a beginning reader, and does a fair job of introducing the sounds by rattling off the names of children by letter. This, however, isn't the most effective way of introducing emerging readers to the alphabet and there are better options out there, including one done by Dr. Seuss himself. Other reviewers have mentioned that they are bothered by the story because Hooper is excluded, and only included at the end because the party is too good to miss. It does seem an ...more
Michelle McBeth
This book did not carry the "zing" that makes all of Dr. Seuss' books so loveable. I think it was partly due to the new illustrations. They did not match the Seuss style of zingy and zangy. The pictures felt flat to me.
All through the book I waited to find out something good that kept the unknown person from inviting Hooper to his birthday party, but it never comes. The narrator simply does not like Hooper and instead invites EVERY other child available. In the end, he allows Hooper to come bec
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-no-no, 2015, storybook
When I was a child, and still now as an adult, I never understood this type of book, one that is written for the sole purpose of excluding and/or bullying another child.

It is not clearly outlined, especially at the beginning why it is that Hooper is being excluded from the party. However, even if, at the book later purports, Hooper is being excluded because he is a 'party pooper', what is the purpose of writing an entire book/poem celebrating the fact that you are excluding someone from your pa
Sarah Adamson
So far my least favorite Seuss book. I like the rhyming and the way the book works through the alphabet using names and words with the right letter. However the overall premise of the book is that someone is having a party and not inviting someone they don't like.
I want my daughter to feel she doesn't have to be with someone she doesn't like.
Yet she has also been on the other end and has been the one not invited and feels very left out.
She cried during this book, worried about Hooper being made
Jun 02, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
I read this book to my children as a bedtime story, and I wasn't really impressed. Hooper Humperdink is continuously left out, to the extent that the kids would rather invite practically anyone on the planet to join their fun other than Hooper. I was expecting at least some sort of a lesson at the end, but was disappointed. In a culture where bullying is constantly on parent's minds, I can't endorse a story that encourages kids to single out and refuse to include one of their peers.
I know, it's
A.C. Bauch
I vacillated between giving this one and two stars.

For teaching children the alphabet, Dr. Seuss's ABC book is much better. And leaves out the nastiness of not inviting poor Hooper Humperdink to the party (though he is ultimately invited--not because the narrator finally realizes he/she is being a big ol' meanie, but because the party is too good to miss). Not an attitude I want the little one to adopt...
Rosa Cline
Apr 17, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This was a cute book about a child getting ready for his party, inviting everyone he knew listing names from every letter of the alphabet (filled with LOTS and LOTS of names) throughout the book he says he doesn't like Hooper but doesn't know 'why' he doesn't like him, but in the end he does decide that he will invite him and they all will have fun
Apr 18, 2012 Sade' rated it really liked it
Hooper Humperdink by Dr. Seuss is an bright and early book designed for a lower age group. It is intended for age level 4-8. This bright and early book uses humor, rhythm, and limited vocabulary that encourages preschoolers to discover the delights of reading for themselves. I give this book a 4 star rating. It is about a youngster who plans a huge spectacular party inviting friends whose name begin with every letter from A-Z, except for one person and that is Hooper Humperdink! This book is ver ...more
Susan El Idrissi
Nov 25, 2014 Susan El Idrissi rated it it was amazing
Only one of the best Dr Seuss books. Loved it as a kid and still have my original first print. Still find it quite humorous.
Mar 16, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
A different way to go through the alphabet. And incase you're worried, Hooper does get included in the end. :)
Whole And
A great Dr Suess story to use as a discussion around inclusiveness as well as enhancing the early readers experience.
Morgan Thoene
Jan 12, 2016 Morgan Thoene rated it did not like it
I dislike this book so much. I refuse to read it to my son. It is talking about excluding someone until the very end.
Angela Kalnins
Jan 08, 2016 Angela Kalnins rated it it was amazing
When my daughter was born in 1989 we were given this book as a gift at our baby shower. We began reading it to her almost the moment she was born. It's a cute, funny little story and she loved it. So much so, that for the next 10 years or so we HAD to read it at least once a day.

At some point, over time, we lost the original copy. When I found it again on Amazon, I just had to have it. We gave it to her for Christmas last year. She turned 26 in October! Yet, when she opened it, she squealed jus
Holly Letson
I was very UNimpressed with this one. Definitely not a favorite Seuss book.
Jul 04, 2015 Nick rated it it was amazing
Cute story of an outcast kid. Good lesson for my little one.
Apr 10, 2014 Morris rated it it was amazing
"I liked when the boy talked to Hooper Humperdink."
Apr 02, 2016 Michelle rated it it was ok
Not my favorite. I was very sad for Hooper.
Oct 15, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it
A happy Hooper Humperdink ending...
The Brothers
Feb 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Our narrator is throwing the party of the century and lists everyone he/she plans to invite - alphabetically. But with each listing, he /she reiterates that Hooper Humperdink is NOT invited.

Cute illustrations.
Apr 14, 2014 Marilee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is one of my favorite "Seuss" books
Jan 08, 2014 Jonasanddelice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We had this book growing up and I always loved the creativity of the writing! It's very thought-provoking, too, about how a child feels when they are left out. The ending is a great lesson in empathy!
Ashley (Apt Reader)
Aug 17, 2015 Ashley (Apt Reader) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Probably not a well known book by Dr. Seuss, since he wrote it as Theo. LeSieg (his real name). But it's a great book and one of my favorites growing up as well. All those names he came up with, and getting some of them to rhyme as well is amazing. Plus I just love the name Hooper Humperdink, it just rolls off the tongue (which is probably it's intent).
Jul 16, 2012 Kara rated it it was amazing
I truly believe reading this book made me a kinder person. I reread whenever I was feeling mean, growing up.

Dr. Seuss shaped entire generations' social consciences, whether intentionally or not.

My gosh, we owe a lot to this man. He is all the good things in childhood incarnate. Hats off to you, Dr. Seuss!
Nov 11, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: not sure...
I'm not sure what to think about this book. It seems kinda snotty to me, although the narrative rhymes and the illustrations are fun. All in all it ends well, and is entertaining to read aloud, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Our girls enjoyed the alphabetical listing of names and were happy at the ending.
Brynja Carlson
Dec 23, 2012 Brynja Carlson rated it did not like it
This book was horrible. The narrator kid is having a party and he keeps talking about how he's going to invite EVERYBODY...except Hooper Humperdink. He's a real jerk about it. In the end he makes the concession to let him come, but that really doesn't excuse his behavior throughout the whole book.
Jan 07, 2014 B rated it it was ok
It's Dr. Seuss! What more can you say? Inspirational, appropriate and fun for any age.
  • The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (Bright & Early Books)
  • The Nose Book
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Fred and Ted Go Camping
  • Brownie & Pearl See the Sights
  • The Gingerbread Boy
  • Baby Animals
More about Dr. Seuss...

Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Nose Book
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • I Can Write! A Book by Me, Myself (Bright & Early Book)
  • In a People House
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff / The Foot Book / Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (Bright and Early Board Books, Pack D)
  • Blue Train, Green Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • Fast Train, Slow Train (Thomas & Friends)