Start by marking “Six by Seuss: A Treasury of Dr. Seuss Classics” as Want to Read:
Six by Seuss: A Treasury of Dr. Seuss Classics

Six by Seuss: A Treasury of Dr. Seuss Classics

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,318 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
DR SEUSS CLASSICS
Published January 1st 1991 by Random House, New York

To ask other readers questions about Six by Seuss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six by Seuss

Mrswash

An old deserted town was once flourishing with life. The Once-ler tells a young boy of the Truffula Trees that was inhabited the Street of the Lifted Lorax. He was fine with his knitted Thneed, but then the Lorax appeared. A thriving business appeared but eventual collapse followed. The environment was destroyed. This is one of Dr. Seuss’s stories that I do love. It shows us how greed can destroy, and how the environment should be taken care of. The Lorax trees are beautiful. The illustrator sho
Chris
Jan 27, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't help it...I love Dr. Seuss books...something I was raised on from a wee age, and however many times I read them, they are still excellent works of art! This book had six classics: And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street - how a boy thinks up a tall tale all the way home, only to be honest, and truthful, even if not as amazing, in the end...The 500 Hundred Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins - while I prefer the Ooblek to this story, still interesting inability to conform to a king's comman ...more
Martin
Jul 04, 2015 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great to revisit these classics, with a few exceptions. "Bartholomew Cubbins" was way too long and did not have enough of a payoff. I read it to a 3-year-old when putting him down for a nap. The bad: saying 'Bartholomew Cubbins' repeatedly was very difficult. The good: the kid fell asleep instantly, because this story is dull and the pictures don't provide enough interest.
"Mulberry Street" was quaint.
"Yertle the Turtle" was great: Seussian drawings and rhymes, and a good social message.
Robert
Feb 09, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up early in my teaching career. There were a couple Dr. Seuss books here I had not read before. Dr. Seuss was a prolific writer. ;) What classics!

I enjoy this anthology as it is compact for six books. Of course, once I met my wife, we doubled all these books as she has the entire collection. One can never have too many Dr. Seuss books, however.
Michael
Apr 02, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as the title suggests (or at least I hope it suggests it) this collection contains Six of Theadore Guisel's best full length picture books. My family's premier storybook collection and a must have for any household, I would regret the erosion time has had on my family's copy if both this collection and its separate counterparts were not available in store to this day. The chronological order suites it not only due to its introduction and general nature of capturing its authors life, but als ...more
Emily
Jan 25, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't love Dr. Seuss? One of his many books touches something from everyone.
Yertle the Turtle: perfect for fable for presenting the theme of greed/ fairness/ standing up for what is right and what you believe in
Gertrude McFuzz: excellent fable to demonstrate why you should love yourself for who you are, everyone is made perfect just the way they are/ jealousy
The Lorax: woah, powerful stuff in the form of some children's rhymes. Thanks to the good Doctor to show us the light and listen to t
Jaimie
Jul 01, 2015 Jaimie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t believe that the first book that Theodor Geisel ever tried to get published was rejected so many times before someone saw the genius in his work. I guess it takes a Seussical mind to really appreciate the whimsy and avant-garde of his books as an adult. That being said, it seems to be a no-brainer that children would love Suess’ books, since they are from the get-go charming, hilarious, and ridiculous - which really captures the imagination and true essence of children everywhere. And to ...more
Tanner Cooper-Risser
Loved this collection of Dr. Seuss books. He was a master at illustrating excellent points and lessons in his books. I found these six to be some of the best Dr. Seuss books I have ever read. They were challenging and entertaining. Most of all I loved the rhyming--with the exception of "The 500 hats of Bartholomew Cubbins" which was written in prose and was an excellent reminder of why we should and should not follow the authority and rules. I would recommend this to all.
Racquel
Feb 03, 2015 Racquel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Ashley
Jan 23, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took four months to finish after Alice became so fixated on "Horton Hatches the Egg" that any attempt to read any other story or book was met with a tantrum. She may have been jumping on my head and singing the alphabet song throughout the entire reading of the Lorax, the last story in the collection, but I just really needed to finish it. The only one we could not finish in a single sitting was the one about Bathalomew's hats. It's definitely a 2-night read. I love Seuss.
Matt Levy
Sep 19, 2014 Matt Levy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally I would not use any of the books I read to my preschool class or read before I read to the class, but I am a few books behind on my goal for the year so I figured I'd give myself a little cheat. Any Dr. Seuss book is great to read to preschoolers and this has a bunch of stories I did not already own.
Karen
Feb 23, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom, dad
Wonderful treasury of Dr. Seuss Classics. Ellie bought this book years ago when she received a gift card for Barnes and Noble. We have read the stories many times. Tonight it was an absolute pleasure to hear her read Yertle the Turtle with such inflection and animation in her voice!..krb 2/23/16
Chris Schaben
Feb 06, 2015 Chris Schaben rated it liked it
I have had this book since I was a young child. I enjoyed it well enough, but I was always a little surprised and sad that it didn't contain "The Cat in the Hat" or "Green Eggs and Ham." However, it is still a decent collection with a sampling of Dr. Seuss.
Karen
Sep 10, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
One Dr. Seuss story in a book is good; Six (eight if you count the separate fables) in one book are even better. The only way to top a Dr. Seuss story is with another Dr. Seuss story (or five).

Skylar Burris
Jan 09, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This contains a number of excellent selections in one volume -- Yertle the Turtle, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Lorax, Horton Hatches the Egg, The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, and And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street.

Yertle the Turtle was my favorite Seuss book as a child, but re-reading it tonight to my daughter, I had to wonder why. It's a cute, anti-tyranny story, but hardly his greatest. I will say, however, that re-reading How the Grinch Stole Christmas as an adult, I w
Nickkole
Dec 15, 2014 Nickkole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-trishana
This is s great set of six Seuss books: the lorax, how the grinch stole Christmas, Horton hatches the egg, yertle the turtle and other stories, to think that I saw it on mulberry street, and the 500 hats of bartholomew cubbins.

I enjoyed reading them to my daughter, and she enjoyed the rhymes! These are full sized images not condensed versions.
Mar 16, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection of Seuss stories! I loved it as a kid, and i still love it now.
Austin Wright
Feb 04, 2015 Austin Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seuss' compilations are always 5-stars.
Selena McCoy
Apr 26, 2016 Selena McCoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has 6 different dr. seuss books all in one and would be great to have for read alouds and for dr. seuss day reading activities.
Dominick
An omnibus edition of And to Think that I Saw It on Mulberry Street, The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and The Lorax could hardly go wrong, and it doesn’t--though The Lorax is far from my favourite Seuss book, it's still a good one, and the rest are among his best.
Adam
Oct 05, 2008 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: kids
This is great fun to read with the kids (although my daughter usually falls asleep in the middle of 500 Hats). Reading it as an adult I have a new appreciation for not just the easy way that Seuss stories bring children to reading, but the poignancy of the stories themselves. The Lorax sticks with me in particular.
B
Jan 07, 2014 B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's Dr. Seuss! What more can you say? Inspirational, appropriate and fun for any age.
April
Mar 03, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Charles
Jul 11, 2009 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I don't think picking classics for these works is far off. These are some of Seuss's best loved stories, including "The 500 Hats," "The Lorax," "Yertle the Turtle," "Hortan Hatches the Egg," "And to Think that I saw it on Mulberrry Street," and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."
Bookstorequeer
I remember this as THE Dr Seuss book we had when I was a kid. The cover's cut because I was doing arts and crafts, the pages are worn because it's been read so many times. This is a book of memories and great stories. Thanks, Mr Geisel!
Ritzzy
Feb 03, 2013 Ritzzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading these Dr. Seuss stories, more than my daughter enjoyed listening. She loved her books, but this was more my favourite than hers. Giving me a copy for Christmas recently; we are both, (dare I say), much older. :)
Justy
Mar 15, 2009 Justy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
If you are looking for a collection of stories that will keep your child interested this is it! My 4 yr old son will sit quietly and keep prompting me to read the whole book to him... if only my voice would last that long!!
Kyra
This was a very good book!! Dr. Seuss is a fantastic writer. My favorite stories are The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, Gertrude McFuzz, The Big Brag, and The Lorax. This is one of my favorite childhood books!!
Kelly
Mar 01, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Seuss book. Six different stories like the Mulberry Street story and The Lorax. All ages love Dr. Seuss and you can easily incorporate math into any of these stories.Great for math and rhyming words!
Denise
Jul 23, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-persons
Mostly bought this for Yertle and Lorax. It is nice to have several books in one collection, however, the individual hardbound stories stand up better to toddler and child thrashing.
Seuss Lovers: Six by Seuss 1 2 Dec 06, 2012 07:16PM
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • Clifford's First School Day
  • The Gnome From Nome
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • Cecily G. and the 9 Monkeys
  • Snoozers: 7 Short Short Bedtime Stories for Lively Little Kids
  • There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Ten Timid Ghosts
  • More Pies!
  • Pigsty
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Pancakes for Breakfast
  • Grandma and Me: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star: And Other Favorite Bedtime Rhymes
  • Skippyjon Jones Cirque de Ole
  • Berenstains' A Book (Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners)
  • Biggest, Strongest, Fastest