I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today! and Other Stories

I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today! and Other Stories

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  946 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Pride and over-confidence may take many forms. Dr. Seuss deals with them humorously in three very funny, off-beat stories about a 30-tiger challenge, the folly of the cats of Katzen-Stein and the terrible consequences of thunking a Glunk. Ages 3+
Published September 20th 1990 by HarperCollins (first published 1969)

Sharon
In terms of licking, this mischevious cat implies beating up 30 tigers. Yet, this task is impossible for the cat to complete and thus he learns this as the number of tigers he once claimed he could lick or rather "beat" slowly come down to zero. This story is humorous as are all of Dr. Seuss' stories and is a favorite among my first grade placement. They truly enjoyed it. I used 30 chips for each table of 5 students and they had to subtract the number of tigers (or chips) as I read the story and...more
Maya
I struggle to rate this one. This is not the best Seuss, and a lot of the references in this book are pretty outdated for modern kids (a phone with a CORD? what's that, mommy?), but at the same time it's kind of outrageous in that good ol' seussian way. I picked this up used because I had vivid memories of loving this when I was a kid. Miles asks lots of questions, but at the same time he thinks it's mostly hilarious--especially the Katz story. The ending of the last story bothers me and I'm not...more
Dolly
May 15, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've been looking for books by Dr. Seuss that we haven't yet read. This book had such a strange title that we just had to borrow it from our local library. It has three short stories that are entertaining, but odd. They have most of the classic rhyme and flow as his more popular books, as well as unusual characters and colorful illustrations, but the tales just aren't as charming as some of his others. Perhaps that's why I'd never heard of it before. Still, it was a quick, entertaining read and...more
Rachel
I remembered this book, while I was reading the title story to my son, as another one of the Dr. Seuss books I had as a child. The first story is about a boy who believes he can beat up thirty tigers, but the longer he is with them, the less he thinks he can beat. I liked the story although my son I don’t think understood most of the nuances of it. The second story is about the king of cats who didn’t like his tail to drag on the ground, so he hired someone to carry it. And then they felt import...more
Jason
This is probably the only Seuss book that I didn't like (some were kind of bland, but I didn't flat out dislike them). None of the stories were of interest to me, and part of that was because the characters tiresome. In the titular story, the character is basically a coward who acts tough. The big problem is that he never learns a lesson - he just decides not to fight any of the tigers.

In the second story, "King Louie Katz", there is basically an entire kingdom of cats who a) jump on any bandwa...more
ZaBeth
This book has three short stories told by a little *boy* who from the family potrait in the final story looks like the son of the "Cat in the Hat. (1957)"

"I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today" - I probably would have enjoyed this more if I had correctly defined "lick" as "to fight" instead of "to clean." While my interpretation is probably more politically correct for today's bully sensitive society, it did not make the story funnier. While there may have been some vague counting involved, I didn't feel...more
Megan
I loved this book! (There are actually three stories: I can lick 30 tigers today, King Looie Katz and The glunk that got thunk) I am just like the cat who was sure he could whip 30 tigers... then had some excuse or another and that number got smaller and smaller until finally he wasn't whipping any tigers. That is like my "to-do" list every day.
Catherine
This is a hidden gem! Most obscure Dr. Seuss books, in my experience, are obscure for a reason-- they are bad or weird or both. But this book is funny and fun to read, and the boys like it, too.
Brittany
It’s a book that engages young readers, because this book isn’t a normal sequence book. It’s a book that has various numbers which children can predict or figure out how many tigers the cat decide to let go. It’s a great read aloud that have an unpredictable ending. I would use this book in my classroom to introduce subtraction to my class.
King looie katz
This book is about the King of the town who hired a person to carry his tail around town because of his pride. His holder had to hire a holder...more
Samantha
A collection of Seussian shorts.

I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today!- A mini Cat in the Hat boldly proclaims he can lick (as in beat up) 30 tigers, but quickly cuts that number down to zilch as his word is put to the test.

King Looie Katz- In a kingdom of cats, King Looie is very proud of his tail; so proud that he will not let it drag on the ground and instead hires a servant to hold it up while he walks. When the servant seeks a servant and so on the last cat in the line is fed up and quits. The system...more
Rachel Evans
this book has three stories. I can Lick 30 Tigers Today King Louie Katz and the Glunk that Got Thunk.
Loved them all! What can I say, I'm a sucker for how Dr Seuss is able to take complex human issues and explain them in funny stories written in forced rhyme.

I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today is just a cute story about speaking before you think and then trying to get out if it gracefully.

King Louie Katz is the best story to teach self-reliance.

and the Glunk that Got Thunk. After the third time reading th...more
Rob
Dr. Seuss seems a bit off form in this trio of stories featuring a very young Cat in the Hat (or is it the Cat's son?). He has to reach a bit too far for some of the rhymes, especially what concerns Looie, Dooie, Pooie and little Scrooie Katz, and what's the deal with "Thunk a Glunk"? Did Dr. Seuss give up halfway through or something? Moreover, for a truly disturbing experience, look carefully at the tigers on the cover. Far more giraffe admixture than I'm comfortable with.

The book has one brig...more
Meredith Kaupp
A Dr. Seuss I had missed. Read it to my students last week. They never did get the play on words.
Charles
This one was pretty cool. The illustrations are noticeably different because Dr. Seuss used gouache (whatever that is) on them. I'd never heard of this book before and I rather enjoyed it.
Kim T.
We loved story #2 especially. Great rhyming.
Emkoshka
Hmmm, the title of this was a good example of the many manifestations of English making for misunderstanding. I was expecting the narrator to lick those tigers with his tongue. Instead, he intended to beat 'em up. I prefer my absurdist interpretation. The most entertaining story was the middle one, King Looie Katz, featuring a conga line of compliant cats. :)
Evelyn Matias
This book is great for integrating a math/literature lesson. I used this with my 1st graders and they loved it! It's a book on subtracting and since it is Dr. Seuss it has rhyming and fun in it. I really think this helped my first graders to understand subtraction better. They wer able to relate the problems given to them to the story. I also created a worksheet with story problems related to the story to bring the two lessons together.
Ayana Mishelle
Dr. Seuss takes counting out of sequence first he can lick 30 tigers then 29 then 13. This is a great book for first grade. There are other stores in this book also the one I loved the most called the Glunk that got thunk. The girl is thinking and thought up a glunk . She could not unthunk the glunk. This book could be well used to talk about critical thinking , mathmatical thinking, scientific thinking.
babyhippoface
The three stories in this book appear in order of my personal preference. I don't care much for the last story, and the second one about the cats is pretty good, but my favorite is the first, "I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today!" The mouthy little cat boldly boasts about how many tigers he can beat up, but as the tigers advance that number drops lower and lower. Cute and funny.
Katie Plumley
* K-4th

* Could be used to see fractions of thirty or subtraction/fact families as the Cat in the Hat dismisses groups of tigers. Repeated subtraction.

* Typical Dr. Seuss rhyme structure....for poetry unit, creative writing, making up words, etc.

* The Glunk that Got Thunk can be read to promote imaginative writing and problem solving.
Christine Levinge
This book is awesome to use for a math lesson on subtraction. While reading aloud, you can have the students follow along with a scratch piece of paper and counting chips. Every time the number of tigers decreases, you can challenge the students to think about how many tigers (chips) they would have to take away to get to that number.
Brett Hollinger
It's Dr. Seuss! What more can you say? Inspirational, appropriate and fun for any age.
April
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Kate
I had to look up the collection to find out that this is the only place to find one of the best Seuss stories ever: "King Looie Katz." A parable of self-reliance (and not being a pompous ass), this story should be required reading for everyone before they enter the workforce.
Lori
3 stories in one book. Stories 2 and 3 were our favorites. Another book we've read over and over. Now we think up, and 'un-thunk', "Glunks"...that's often a combined effort of course! I love the self-reliance of "holding one's own up", from King Looie Katz's 'tail'.
Beth
Maybe he won't lick thirty (or any) tigers today.

King Looie Katz and the rest of the Katzen-stein learn to carry their own tails and journey to be demo-catic!

No one wants their Think-Upper to think up a Glunk who talks and talks running their phone bill up!
Skylar Burris
I must have read this aloud to myself 50 times as a kid, and the tale of false bravado still makes me smile today. My 4-year-old didn't get it, of course, and I didn't realize until I was done reading that she thought lick meant to lick with the tongue...
Doug
To think up a Thunk! Now THAT is what childhood is all about. Although these stories have less intrigue and teach fewer life lessons than more modern Seuss tales, they were a favorite of mine as a child. This is a delightful book.
Joey Fong
Topics that can be taught from this book:
-many adjective vocabularies
-short story vs. poem
-creative writing
-fantasy writing
Dawn
This is a little known collection of Dr. Seuss books. I grew up reading it. I loved all the stories but especially the Glunk that got Thunked. It was fun reading them to my children.
Seuss Lovers: I can lick 30 Tigers Today 1 3 Dec 06, 2012 06:42PM
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • The Very Clumsy Click Beetle
  • The Little Red Hen
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2)
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Measuring Penny
  • Kate and the Beanstalk
  • Never, Ever Shout in a Zoo
  • You Are My Miracle
  • Don't Bump the Glump! and Other Fantasies
  • It's Hard to Be Five: Learning How to Work My Control Panel
  • Detective LaRue: Letters from the Investigation
  • It's Mine!
  • Miss Smith's Incredible Storybook (Picture Puffin Books)
  • Grandfather Tang's Story
  • Thomas' Snowsuit
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both carto...more
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat Oh, The Places You'll Go! How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Lorax