Dear Departed (Bill Slider, #10)

Dear Departed (Bill Slider #10)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  20 reviews
It's Detective Inspector Bill Slider's day off and he had hoped to have some quiet time with Joanna, his pregnant fiancée. But a woman's body is found in the park and he finds himself back to work sooner than he expected. At first glance, it looks as though the woman is the latest victim of the "Park Killer." But it doesn't take Slider and his partner Atherton long to esta...more
Published November 29th 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Departed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Departed

Joe V
This is the tenth adventure of Bill Slider, who is a police inspector in London's Shepherd Bush. The Slider books are solid police procedurals/mysteries, with our hero and his side-kick, ladies' man Jim Atherton, usually tackling and solving murder cases. There's a strong supporting cast, plenty of British flavor - locale, food and slang - and the books are puzzles rather than adrenaline inducing thrillers, more Agatha Christie than Patricia Cornwell, i.e. old-fashioned detective work rather tha...more
Damaskcat
Why would anyone want to murder a young woman who is universally liked? Bill Slider and Jim Atherton have their work cut out to identify anyone who could possibly have a motive to murder Chattie Cornfeld unless she is just another victim of the park killer – a potential serial killer who seems to be targeting joggers in the nearby park.

There are plenty of family tensions in the background once they start digging but almost everyone agrees that Chattie was a really nice person and would help any...more
Kyrie
I love the word play - I know I've said that over and over, but Harrod-Eagles really makes me laugh out loud or at least snort regularly.
I also liked this one because the deceased really was a decent person. Finding her murderer makes Slider and company on the definite side of the good guys. I liked that - no psychological or other reasons like "Well, she deserved to be murdered". Straightforward, simple, and funny.
LJ
DEAR DEPARTED (Police Procedural) – VG
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles – 10th in series
Chattie Cornfeld was murdered while jogging in the park. At first it looked as though she was the latest victim of the 'Park Killer', but it doesn't take Slider and Atherton long to establish that someone was trying to pass the killing off as part of a pattern: only the pattern doesn't fit, this one was personal.
***This is a much-underrated series and yet one I very much enjoy. Bill Slider and his fellow officers reminds...more
☯Bettie☯

Dear Departed [2004], 10 hours 18 mins

Blurb: Chattie Cornfeld was murdered while jogging in the park. She ran her own small marketing company and lived comfortably, perhaps too comfortably for her income. At first it looked as though she was the latest victim of the 'Park Killer', but it doesn't take Inspector Bill Slider and his colleague Atherton long to establish that someone was trying to pass the killing off as part of a pattern: only the pattern doesn't fit, this one was personal. Chattie...more
Dee
I'm loving this series! It is very similar in form to
"The Closer." (Which series Tim Goodman of the SF Chronicle thinks is 'mind candy.') The easy banter and camaraderie between the team at "the Firm," the interesting "under" plot of Bill Slider and Joanna, (and Jim Atherton and Sue) as well as very complex murder myster plots with lots of red herrings make this procedural a delight.
Kay
I love this series, no doubt about it. However chilling the crime, Slider and his crew are basically decent sorts who banter with wit and style that are probably unlike anything that would happen in a real police station. No one is that literate any more! I've read this one before and enjoyed it even more on the second go-round. Lucky for me that the author is so prolific.
Kae Cheatham
This is a terrific police procedural story. It's the third of the Bill Slider mysteries, where Bill and his team investigate the death of a young woman found in a park. Leads are slim, and the "dear departed" seems too good to be true--that she couldn't possibly have any enemies. Great character portrayal. Story remained strong to the end.
Ann
I hadn't read Cynthia Harrod-Eagles in ages and found that I still enjoy her mysteries and characters. What I didn't enjoy were her "cutsie" chapter headings. Reading those reminded me of those awful descriptions in the Coldwater Creek catalog!
Kate
Great series with great characters. Harrod-Eagles writing is smooth and engaging, the characters likeable. Smart plots and a lot of word-play at the hands of the author. Enjoy!
Heather
I had it solved before it was over, but that is OK. It was still good. If you like the crime shows on TV - you'll like this series.
Sandy
I love the characters in these mysteries! They are so real and each have their own quirks, just like people I know.
Linda Underwood
Bill Slider, detective, solves the mystery of the murder of an attractive young girl in a park. Just OK
James
Nice read. Lots of everyday police procedures. Flows well. Will read more from this author.
Karen Henry
This is the first Bill Slider story for me. What a good read.
Alice
See all other Bill Slider reviews. My favorite series.
Sharron
This is a terrific series.
Veronique Davidson
Veronique Davidson marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
NE
NE added it
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (aka Emma Woodhouse, Elizabeth Bennett)

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles was born on13 August 1948 in Shepherd's Bush, London, England, where was educated at Burlington School, a girls' charity school founded in 1699, and at the University of Edinburgh and University College London, where she studied English, history and philosophy.

She had a variety of jobs in the commercial world, start...more
More about Cynthia Harrod-Eagles...
The Founding (The Morland Dynasty, #1) The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2) The Princeling (Morland Dynasty, #3) The Oak Apple (Morland Dynasty, #4) The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty, #5)