Start by marking “Benjamin Franklin Takes the Case: The American Agent Investigates Murder in the Dark Byways of London” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Benjamin Franklin Take...

Robert Lee Hall

Benjamin Franklin Takes the Case: The American Agent Investigates Murder in the Dark Byways of London (Benjamin Franklin #1)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  5 reviews
When a London printer is brutally murdered, Benjamin Franklin sets out to catch the killer, with the help of Nicholas, a ragged servant boy. Reprint. AB. PW.
Published June 1st 1988 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Benjamin Franklin Takes the Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Benjamin Franklin Takes the Case

Bruce
May 23, 2009 Bruce rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Bruce by: Steven Hager
Shelves: mystery
I really don't like a 5 star rating system because it makes a 3 star rating look like a bad rating and such is not the case with this book. I enjoyed it well enough. It's a fun read with a genuine sense of the way I think people must have talked back then. The number of revelations at the end is a bit overwhelming, almost to the point of over coincidence, but somehow still satisfying.

It seems to me that the characters could have been fleshed out a bit, and an 11 year old boy who was treated as
Jack
I picked this up at the Library on Monday and finished today so I guess I liked it. This is the first in a series of books published 20 years ago. I recently ran across a title and was curious. I was thinking that the series was very similar to the Sir John Fielding Mysteries that I have been reading when who should appear on page 148 but Sir John Fielding. I believe there are four or five of these books. There are 11 of the Sir John books, the first being published in 1995 and I think they are ...more
Kathy Hale
This book was a good beach book that you didn't have to think too much about to get through. it is the first in a series that sets Ben Franklin up as a detective to solve a mystery while he is in London as an agent for Pennsylvania. It continues all the rumors of him as having bastard children all over the place while long suffering Deborah is waiting back home. There is some factual information that he was clerk to the General Assembly and that he was the agent for the colony for the Pennsylvan ...more
Jane
Mar 02, 2013 Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: myst
Not shallow at all. Good recapitulation of the political situation, the amount of crime in London, harshness of penalties, general difficulties of life at that income level, lack of policing. Plot believable.
Ed
The concept is attractive. I looked forward to starting a series. This first book started out well enough, but I just gave up.
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Filomena Golinski
Filomena Golinski marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Terry Johnson
Terry Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Laura Hedrick
Laura Hedrick marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Ani
Ani marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Masha
Masha marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Josh
Josh added it
Nov 12, 2013
Anne Hawn Smith
Anne Hawn Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Benjamin Franklin (6 books)
  • Benjamin Franklin and a Case of Christmas Murder (Benjamin Franklin, #2)
  • Murder at Drury Lane (Benjamin Franklin, #3)
  • Benjamin Franklin and a Case of Artful Murder (Benjamin Franklin, #4)
  • Murder by the Waters: Further Adventures of the American Agent Abroad
  • London Blood (Benjamin Franklin, #6)
Exit Sherlock Holmes Benjamin Franklin and a Case of Christmas Murder (Benjamin Franklin, #2) Benjamin Franklin and a Case of Artful Murder (Benjamin Franklin, #4) Murder at Drury Lane (Benjamin Franklin, #3) London Blood (Benjamin Franklin, #6)