Start by marking “The Protector” as Want to Read:
The Protector

The Protector

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  1 Review
Soren Buchanan no longer wishes to work for his father, crime boss James Buchanan, nor does he want to continue his relationship with the dangerous and sexy Jolina Miciano. But Jolina has connections that would make James Buchanan more powerful than he already is. Unwilling to be a pawn in his father's game, Soren decides to stop seeing Jolina even if it means having to ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Seventh Window Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Protector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Protector

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDivide & Conquer by Abigail Roux
Best Gay Cops/ Security Guards/P.I.'s
190th out of 718 books — 1,103 voters
Faith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon SuedePromises by Marie SextonCrossing Borders by Z.A. MaxfieldZero at the Bone by Jane Seville
Best Gay "Virginal" Characters
165th out of 632 books — 918 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy
Apr 22, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Soren Buchanan, a young and attractive redhead, wants to end his unfulfilling relationship with sexy Jolina Miciano. Soren’s father is an organized crime boss who will benefit from their union. When Soren decides to end the relationship and suffers a brutal beating at the hands of his abusive father, he enlists the help of the FBI.

Former US Army Ranger Mason Ward lives a quiet life on a houseboat in Guam. He is hired to protect Soren from his bad-tempered father.

The only problem is, Mason has a
Lily
N.L. Gassert has written a wonderfully entertaining and gripping story featuring terrorists, an abusive father, a lush tropical setting and two men, who are total opposites, and the mutual attraction neither man can deny. This fast-paced story with it's great cast of characters will grab you and take you on a non-stop adventure from beginning to end.

Soren Buchanan, a young man running from an abusive situation, is entrusted by the FBI into the care of former US Army Ranger Mason Ward. Soren's fa
Diane
Oct 04, 2009 Diane rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
This book was not bad. In fact, the story defied convention on several levels, but I think there are probably a lot of better books out there to read first. If you have blown through your entire to-read list and are looking for something new, then give this a shot… otherwise I’d suggest moving on.
Erotic Horizon
Oct 02, 2009 Erotic Horizon rated it liked it
When Mason Ward is asked to look after Soren Buchanan – a baby sitting job was all it was meant to be. Knowing from the outset what was Soren main grip – alcohol and junk food and coffee – was good to know, as Mason was a bit of a health nut.

Being in the middle of nowhere and your days doesn't change much from hour to hour is not a big stretch for Mason, he has worked hard to maintain this low maintenance sort of lifestyle, however add Soren and his less than covert attempt to expose every inch
Jul 20, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt-fiction
When Soren Buchanan decides to leave working for his abusive, crime boss father he goes to the FBI for help. He is placed with former US Army Ranger Mason Ward, who has become a security specialist and lives an idillic life on board his yacht in Guam. Keeping Soren safe and at arms length should have been a cinch, but this proves more difficult than Mason anticipates and their attraction becomes harder to ignore, despite the presence of very real danger.

This was an wickedly enjoyable read. There
Jimmy Hanson
Feb 08, 2010 Jimmy Hanson rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, m-m
I was tempted to give this one a "4-star" and changed my mind at the last minute ... Soren's chara was strong-willed, smart-mouthed, and believable. His resistance to temptation, and his giving in, were something I could easily relate to, despite the fact that I have no prior experience in what he does/goes through. It's understandable.

Mason's character is a bit more difficult to connect with. He's described in great detail as to being very large, very intimidating, and very protective. And yet
Serena Yates
Mar 04, 2010 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
I really liked this story (which was picked for me in the m/m romance group monthly challenge). Never having read anything by this author, I was quite curious - and, as it turned out, not disappointed.

Soren is a crime boss' son who has always chosen the easy path, letting his father pay for everything. When he is pushed into a relationship with Jolina, a woman picked by his father and a terrorist, he finally decides to leave and talks to the FBI. The remainder of the book shows his path to matur
Kassa
Aug 19, 2009 Kassa rated it really liked it
This is the kind of fast paced, well-written action story that is instantly engaging and completely entertaining. The tight plot and well-paced story may stumble occasionally but that only adds to its appeal. The first installment of what promises to be a new series only scratches the surface of interesting characters and introduces a wealth of possibilities for future adventures. Not surprising this was a Lambda Award finalist and well deserving the recognition. Although this isn’t a mystery, ...more
Charly
Oct 28, 2012 Charly rated it really liked it
Good action/adventure plot, but lacking a bit in the romance department

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- The writing here isn’t brilliant, but it’s good. For the most part, it flows well and is easy to read quickly.
- I found the plot interesting and unusual. I’ve read/seen plenty of stories about people who flee from gangsters because they witness a crime or are somehow connected to the bad guys, but I’ve never read one where the character
Elisa Rolle
Mason Ward is not our classical all action-no word hero. A former ranger, now security specialist, he lives in a boat and he is a controlled hygienist: he eats only natural things, he doesn't drink alcohol, makes a moderate use of sugar and exercises everyday to impossible early hours.

So when an FBI friend asks him to protect a spoilt brat like Soren Buchanan, the son of the notorious business man James "The Smile" Buchanan, Mason is not at all happy of the mission: Soren is a younger of ten yea
Ken Cook
Sep 20, 2016 Ken Cook rated it liked it
Quick and easy read. Introduction to Guam. Mixes politics,FBI/police, boating, family abuse, gay: a little something for the reader. Good plot and pace, although I would have liked a bit more "geography".
Jaele
Nov 20, 2010 Jaele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous action/adventure story. Only 2 problems with this book … as someone else pointed out, the appointed guardian got his butt kicked in a surprise attack and wasn’t able to do as much protecting as he would have liked … and, the 2nd one hasn’t come out yet.

As far as the above mentioned butt kicking, Mason got his clock cleaned good in a surprise attack on his boat. He held his own just long enough for Soren to finish off the bad guy in a surprise attack of his own. Unfortunately,
Mar 10, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: okay, slashreaders
SlashReader: I took a chance on this one it was one of those that could've gone towards bad really fast. I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't bad for a first novel. There were a couple of things that I think could've been improved on however.

The first one was setting. Alright, the book was set in Gaum. Personally I don't know a lot about Gaum other then it's tropical. I would've liked to have had a few details about the city, or a bit more description of the place and people. I think that would
Jenre
Oct 02, 2013 Jenre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non stop action adventure which I found extremely diverting. I have to admit, I'd never heard of Guam before reading this and had to look it up. The unusual setting was used as part of the story and became integral to the plot. I enjoyed the interplay between the main characters and especially liked Soren who made mistakes but developed a lot of backbone as the story progressed. It was occasionally a bit cartoonish - the bad guys in particular - and I never quite understood the reasons for Soren ...more
Rhianon
May 08, 2010 Rhianon rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance
Dabbles in "cops" and "soldiers" without truly tackling the difficult bits. This one's a good bit like skimming your hand in the pool on a hot day to test the water temperature.

Though it stays firmly on the mild side in terms of action (in this reader's opinion) the characters are well presented and developed, and overall the story is technically strong.
While this one didn't leave me cringing, and I was invested sufficiently in the characters to finish reading, it definitely left me feeling like
Omega696
Mason was asked to protect a drunk and junkie son of an influential man. He wasn't given all the details however and Soren himself turned out to be more trouble than he anticipated.

It was a fast paced story with a bunch of likable characters.
Chris
Nov 21, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good m/m romantic suspense about the son of a crime boss who's tired of getting beaten up and goes to the FBI. He ends up in protective custody on the boat of a security specialist who won't put up with his spoiled ways... and then things get complicated.
Bebe Burnside
Nov 14, 2011 Bebe Burnside rated it really liked it
This was a fun adventure/romance story that kept me reading until the early hours. I just couldn't put it down.
Cj
Nov 06, 2012 Cj rated it did not like it
"Shoot me now and be done with it?"
"You wish,"
"First, there'll be screaming, then there'll be shooting."

What more can I say? Sometimes the writing speaks for itself!
momokaachan
May 28, 2011 momokaachan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm
Everything worked in this story: main characters, supporting cast, plot, action, twists, shouting, and - oh, yeah - romance sneaked in here and there.

Excellent read.
Knight Birdy
Knight Birdy rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Suzyque367
Suzyque367 rated it liked it
May 29, 2010
Annalene
Annalene rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Penny
Penny rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Panda
Panda rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2013
Lippy
Lippy rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2010
Bogey
Bogey rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Tracy's Place
Tracy's Place rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2009
Corgie
Corgie rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2012
Blake
Blake rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
  • Inland Empire (Taking the Odds, #2)
  • Undercover Blues (Undercover Blues, #1)
  • The Cross of Sins (Fathom's Five, #1)
  • IM
  • Naked Dragon
  • Wild Raspberries (Dan & Tyler, #1)
  • Interstitial (Interstitial, #1)
  • A Promise Kept (Promise, #1)
  • Son of a Gun
  • The Geography Of Murder (Geography of Murder, #1)
  • Another Dream (Dream, #2)
  • Deadly Dreams (Deadly Mystery, #3)
  • In the Flesh (Flesh, #1)
  • Untamed Heart
  • Urban Shaman
  • Shady Ridge and the Neon Sky (Shady Ridge, #1)