Start by marking “Anne Frank” as Want to Read:
Anne Frank

Anne Frank

The life of Anne Frank, from birth until being taken from the hidden attic by the Nazis, is presented in this haunting, meticulously researched picture book. It is a compelling yet easy-to-understand "first" introduction to the Holocaust as witnessed by Anne and her family. The stunningly evocative illustrations by Angela Barrett are worth a thousand words in capturing for ...more
Published August 23rd 2005 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Anne Frank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anne Frank

Bernice
Nov 03, 2009 Bernice rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I have seen the story of Anne Frank in a picture book format. The story is a narration of Anne Frank's life from when she was a little girl to the time she was hidden away in the annex during the war. Although it is a picture book, the story and authenticity of what happened were real. I could feel myself as I read the intense emotions of what I knew was going to happen. Although it is story of just one girl, it gives the reader an idea of what life was like for Jewish fam ...more
Kim Paral
Mar 01, 2015 Kim Paral rated it liked it
Shelves: rll-539
This book is a great picture biography, and would be very appropriate for an introduction novel into the World War II unit. It has wonderful pictures throughout the book that share the life of Anne Frank. I learned about Anne Frank when I was in Elementary School, and remember that it was used as an introduction as to what the war was about, and painted a picture of who the Nazis and Jews were during that time period.

This book begins with facts that include where and when Anne Frank was born and
Amanda
Jan 17, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This made me want to read the Diary of Anne Frank. It is a poignant tale of Anne's life leading up to the events in her diary and a little bit beyond. It focuses on who she was before she was killed and became a symbol of human resilience and decency (if those are the right terms, at all). Her pain and death are not dramatized, for which I am grateful, but her humanity is celebrated. It also gives the reader a bit of historical insight into the times so he or she can understand how the Jews came ...more
Debbie Hoskins
Angela Barrett is just the best. She does romanticize, but what's wrong with beauty? Ethereal illustrations, gorgeous book, text does not detract from the illustrations. Lovely book.
When I think of Mary being a 13 year old Jewish girl, I think of Anne Frank. Last year I painted a picture of Anne Frank for my Christmas card.

Zulekha Saqib
a moving story that makes you think & leaves you asking questions! the illustrations are absolutely stunning!
Nevada Libert
Apr 28, 2014 Nevada Libert rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
what a good book, i love her bravery.
Gena
Oct 24, 2016 Gena rated it really liked it
Gentle introduction to the topic for kids. I did find it focused more on her life before the war than the experience during. But perhaps that is strictly because of the intended audience.
Kelly
My 10 year old really enjoyed this. I like the way the story was told.
Shelby Wright
Apr 24, 2016 Shelby Wright rated it really liked it
Title: Anne Frank
Author:Josephine Poole
Illustrator: Angela Barrett
Genre: Biography (grades 3-5)
Theme(s): Holocaust, Terror, Hope, Curiosity
Opening line/sentence: "The story of Anne Frank begins with an ordinary little girl."
Brief Book Summary: The book retells the story of Anne Frank, from life till death, in a narrative format. Anne was a German Jew who hid with her family in an annex for almost 2 years. To pass the time, and ease her loneliness, she wrote in her diary about her feelings and t
Danielle Rapoli
Summary/Review: The book follows the life of Anne Frank, a child living in the time of World War 2. The book begins with the birth of Anne and continues through her time living in the Annex and being brought to a concentration camp. The book provides students with a simplified story of this famous little girl. Younger students can still understand the terror of this time yet it is presented in a way for younger students to understand. Pictures make the life more realistic to them and allows the ...more
(NS) Laura Jackson
This is a story about the life of Anne Frank. Anne Frank was a young Jewish girl who lived in Germany during World War II. Anne was faced with many challenges and difficulties because she was Jewish. When she was a young girl she had to go and live in an attic in order to try and hide from the Nazis. During this time she met and fell in love with a man named Peter. One day a horrible break-in occurred where the Nazi soldiers raided the annex and took Anne away. The diary that Anne had been keepi ...more
Whitney Church
Feb 20, 2015 Whitney Church rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading the book. The book is a picture book biography, I think it would be appropriate for students in fifth grade and up. The voice the author uses is appropriate for children and includes lots of words that can be used to expand a student's vocabulary. I recently learned about a program called VocabGrabber that would be helpful in pulling out vocabulary words.

I wasn't sure what to expect reading the story, whether it would be about her time in hiding, or something else. The
Kelly
Apr 07, 2015 Kelly added it
Kelly Wiegand
April 7, 2015
EDL54500 Library Materials for Children and Youth

Title: Anne Frank

Author: Josephine Poole

Plot: Anne was a young girl who was German and Jewish. This book tells the story of her and her family's struggle to be discrete during the time of Adolph Hitler's reign.

Setting: Germany 1912; Germany, Netherlands, Amsterdam 1942; Annex

Characters: Anne Frank; Adolph Hitler; Citizens of Germany

Point-of-View: Third-Person

Themes: Hatred; Intolerance; Religious Persecution; Kindness

St
Kara Walker
Jul 29, 2014 Kara Walker rated it liked it
In this short rendition of Anne Frank's life, author Josephine Poole breathes life into the troubles that Jewish people had to face in Europe during World War II. Anne Frank had a seemingly normal life until she was discriminated against for being a Jew. Hitler declared that Jews were the reason that Germany was so poor after World War I. Frank had to deal with being bullied at school, to having to wear a gold star, to running away and hiding in an annex for years to avoid deportation to concent ...more
May 09, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Personal reaction: This was a really cool book. What I liked best about it was the illustrations. They were beautifully done and were quite captivating.

Use in the classroom:

1. Read aloud for curricular connection: This book would be good to use for an introduction to a unit on World War II. It would be good for students who are too young to read The Diary of a Young Girl, but are still old enough to learn about Anne Frank.

2. Independent reading: I think this book would be appropriate for stude
babyhippoface
“The story of Anne Frank begins with an ordinary little girl, someone you might sit next to in class.” This opening line of Poole and Barrett’s picture-book biography of Anne Frank sets the theme that resonates throughout--that the Franks were ordinary people caught in an horrific situation. Barrett's realistic portraits advance that theme, expertly portraying their moments of family happiness and fear. The muted colors create hauntingly lovely images. While the historical information is not in- ...more
Madison
Oct 23, 2013 Madison rated it it was ok
The book takes you through the life of Anne Frank from childhood to when her dad was given Anne's diary by a close friend.

It basically tells the same story of every other children's book about Anne Frank in that it tells about her life as a child, wearing a yellow star on her outerwear, hiding in the secret annex, and being taken away by the Nazi's.

Although I am fascinated by the Holocaust and I believe that all children should learn about this time in history, I do not think that this is one of
Deanna Vaughn
Mar 26, 2014 Deanna Vaughn rated it liked it
This is a great story with wonderful pictures about the life of Anne Frank. It begins with when and where Anne was born, along with who her parents were. It then tells the story of the rein of Hitler and what was happening to the Jewish people. Anne's family must hide away so they are not taken to a concentration camp. The story discusses what happened to Anne while she was hiding in an Attic for almost two years. This story could really show children the hardship that Anne and her family went t ...more
Brianna Craft
Nov 06, 2013 Brianna Craft rated it really liked it
This is a great picture book for older children because it tells a true story about Anne Frank and her experience in the Holocaust. This is great for teaching children the history of the Holocaust because it gives just enough detail so that the kids can really capture what happened. It doesn't really go into the more shocking details of the events that took place, and I think that is good for the age group that it's intended for.
Shelli
Jul 09, 2008 Shelli rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderfully done picture book describing the life of Anne Frank, a young girl who sadly didn’t live to see how much her writing continues to affect the world. The illustrations were flawless, capturing each member of the Frank family perfectly. A perfect addition to any school library, especially for those not interested in reading the actual diary or for those who want to revisit a young friend.
Meri
May 21, 2014 Meri rated it it was ok
Anne Frank is one of those books that must be read. But since it is more than 400 pages long and written by a teenage girl, it gets a little boring at some points. Like in the halfway she kept of talking about how mush in love was she with Peter. But she was a girl who lived as a jew during the holocaust and sadly she didnt make it. A tru sad story i would say. Because we need to understand the had times from the past, this is a book for everyone to read.
Tricia
Apr 17, 2010 Tricia rated it liked it
For children who read Diary of a Young Girl and are interested in more backstory (and even those who haven't yet read it), this picture book biography offers a bit more including what life was like for Jewish people in the years leading up to the war. True to any holocaust literature, sadness reverberates throughout the story.
Abbi Kraus
This book is comprehensive for children trying to understand the Holocaust. The colors used in this book really reflect the coldness and severity of this historical event. It shows an entire family going through this together, and how they supported each other and stood up for what they believed in. This book really gives the feeling that any other book about the Holocaust would.
Chenoa Brown
Apr 10, 2011 Chenoa Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
-Good read for students in grades 3-5.
-Biography of Anne Frank while the rise of power of Hitler.
-Her dad is the only surviving member of their family after the war. He is left with her memories that are captured in her diary which later become public for everyone to know.
-Illustrations are great and capture the mood of Anne and the characters within each page.
Rachel
A great read aloud to talk about Anne Frank. It explains her life and the tragic tale of her and her family. I used this as read aloud for my students to help talk about a person they could relate to someone who hid during the Holocaust. This is a good alternative to the chapter book but also great to use to compare. It has beautiful words and pictures that are heart felt to the reader.
Rochelle Steenberg
Nov 18, 2014 Rochelle Steenberg rated it it was amazing
This familiar story is written clearly and illustrated beautiffuly, the pictures telling the story as well. Illustrated by Angela Barrett and written by Josephine Poole in a large 10" x 10" each page has an important fact to tell concerning Anne Franks short life before she dies of thyphoid in a German concentration camp.
Casey
Nov 06, 2009 Casey rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
This book is about a girl who was a jew and had to leave everything behind(including her cat) when the holocaust came. She had to live in an old attic with 5 adults and 2 other children.

I feel this book is ok and could be more detailed.

I recommend this book to anyone who is studying the holocaust.
Megan
May 11, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
A good overview of Anne Frank's life and a good introduction to the Holocaust. However, the little hope given at the end of the book is not enough for young children. I'd use this with middle school students as a pre-teaching activity before reading The Diary of Anne Frank or other Holocaust literature.
Salsabrarian
A picture book treatment of Anne Frank's life, in particular her time spent in the secret annex and the political tone of the day. An appropriate and solid introduction for children too young to read the Diary.
Ubalstecha
Aug 26, 2012 Ubalstecha rated it really liked it
Shelves: heroes
Beautiful picture book version of Anne's story. This is a summary of the diary, written for a juior audience. Heartbreaking scene when Anne is captured by the Nazis.

A must for teachers trying to teach the holocaust to their students.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen
  • Irena Sendler and the Children of the Warsaw Ghetto
  • Terezin: Voices from the Holocaust
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Florence Nightingale
  • Amelia to Zora: Twenty-Six Women Who Changed the World
  • The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau
  • Monsieur Marceau: Actor Without Words
  • Wanda Gág: The Girl Who Lived to Draw
  • Lincoln Tells a Joke: How Laughter Saved the President (and the Country)
  • Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers' Strike of 1909
  • Martin & Mahalia: His Words, Her Song
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
Josephine Poole is the renowned author of several books for children and young adults. Her first book was published in 1961, and she has also written extensively for television. She lives in Somerset.

More about Josephine Poole...