World History Biographies: Anne Frank: The Young Writer Who Told the World Her Story (World History Biographies)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Anne Frank takes young readers back to the dark days of World War II through the story of the famous young diarist. Like teenagers everywhere, Anne wrote about friends, family, movies, her greatest joys, and her deepest fears. Through her vivid, tender entries we experience Anne's changing world, as persecution, hiding, and betrayal, become part of daily life in Nazi Europ...more
Published February 27th 2007 by National Geographic Children's Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about World History Biographies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World History Biographies

Miss Balzaretti
Ann Kramer tells the story of Anne Frank from her birth until her death at age 15. The book does a very good job telling Anne’s story along with the history of the Holocaust. The book is filled with personal images from Anne’s life and from the events leading to the Holocaust. Detailed captions are provided for the photographs and a timeline of major event in the war and Anne’s life are documented throughout the book. I like the justice the book gives to Anne Frank and her story. The book keeps...more
Nicole
I feel kinda weird giving a book dealing with such tragedy 4 stars, but it was well put together and gives a lot of information in a concise and well organized manner. It's not very long, large print, and is divided into sections with several 2-page subsections/chapters in each section. There's a timeline across the bottom of each page of events happening in Anne's life and in the war relating to the information above. There are pictures as well. I really like that it starts out BEFORE the war a...more
Alexis
In Anne Frank: The Young Writer who told the world her story by Ann Kramer, she was 15 when she died in a concentration camp and she wrote a story about what had happened during World War II in Germany. It took place in Germany in early March of 1945. The characters in Anne Frank: The Young Writer who told the world her story was Anne Frank. She was the main character/person in this book.

The conflict in this story that Anne Frank was a Jew living in Europe and in hiding because if her and her...more
Courtney Miles
This intriguing and informing book is a great tool for a young reader if they are wanting to learn all about who Anne Frank was.
The author, Ann Kramer, gives the biography of the young girl and discusses the many hardships that she has to face and how she dies at the young age of 15. Kramer discusses how Anne Frank was raised by pretty wealthy parents and had an older sister named Margot. They lived with her grandmother for some time until they got their own place. They moved several other time...more
Carolyn Mccargish
The genre of the book "World History Biographies: Anne Frank: The Young Writer Who told the World Her Story" by Ann Kramer is tragedy and drama.
The book " World History Biographies: Anne Frank is about how the World War II, and a time of fear affected a young woman. Also, how Anne Frank was changing around her in dramatic ways such as betrayal and persecution during a time in history in Europe and the Nazi time period. The book "World History Biographies: Anne Frank is illustrated in amazing way...more
Erin
Ann Kramer tells the story of Anne Frank through the story the diarist wrote herself. It tells the story of Anne Frank growing up with her friends, family, and then also going through the war and living in the annex. Anne Frank wanted to grow up and be a writer and this book provides inspiration for young readers through retelling her story and providing history that will hopefully lead to reading the actual diary. I like and would recommend this book because it is approachable to young readers...more
Morgan Patton
This is the life story of Anne Frank's life tole through her many diary entries. Like any other teenager, Anne wrote about friends, family, things she liked and things she disliked. Anne also wrote about persecution, hiding, and betrayal....life in Nazi Europe. Ann Kramer fills this book with beautiful, colorful photographs of Anne and the people in her life.
The author does a beautiful job recreating the life of Anne Frank. Readers really get to enter her world and see things from her perspectiv...more
Ally
I really liked this book. It showed you how hard others lives were back in the days. I can't even imagine what it would be like not being able to have fresh air for 2 years. Many children died at the concentration camps. Anne suffered a few years having caught many diseases. I doubt I would have enough spirit to stay alive. It's scary to think that once in time there were people being killed everyday by gas chambers.
Melissa Nastja
A biography of a young Jewish girl whose family went into hiding as Hitler invaded the Netherlands. In the original book, Anne keeps a diary of her journey and her struggles. Students could connect to her story in many ways. She had to live with many people in an attic in hopes of not getting caught by the soldiers. Students can focus on WWII and learn about what the Jewish people went through.
Morpheus
Informative, to the point; worth reading.
Emma Pineda
This book was really easy to read, which i appreciate. I learn knew thing about Anne and it made her seem more real because before i kind of saw her more like a book character then a person. I think her story get to people and i'm glad her dad decided on publishing. This may not be the actual diary but i have read that book too.
Mary Lee
Avid reader student lent me this book. Very readable. I'll look for more in this series: National Geographic World History Biographies.

Never realized that Anne Frank's mother was from Aachen. That's where my host family lived when I was a Lion's Club Exchange student the summer of my junior year in HS.
Olivia
This story is all about Anne Frank but in a way ALL readers can understand it. This version of Anne Frank covers almost her whole life. From when she was born too her last day. It's a terrific read for those who want too learn about this brave teenager. This book is one too read!
Megan Breslow
Story of a girl who comes to age while hiding from Nazis in Poland. A little to grown up for anything younger than fifth but a good for inspiring children to keep their own journals... one day their story might become a famous book.
Micheline Jade
It was very interesting. Saw some photos I had never seen, which gave more of a life to the story. Yet there were slight inaccuracies in the story. It also explained things like Kristallnacht, which I never knew anything about.
Stephanie Watson
This book about Anne Frank is great for young readers! It gives a lot of history about what happened during World War 2, and what happened during the Holocost. I would recommend this book for 4th and 5th graders.
Maricia
I really loved reading this book. My daughter had it on her dresser. I picked up the book and read it to the end. The reality of living in fear & anxiety would have been unbearable at times.
Anuradha Mehta
A glimpse into the time when hate killed so many and how difficult it was to survive.Religion taken as an excuse to hurt and and kill those who disagree.
Lexi
Dec 08, 2010 Lexi added it
book:This Lullaby|22205]
Peggy
Brief overview
Nayan Survase
Nayan Survase marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Repunzel
Repunzel marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Women Wartime Spies (Women's History) World History Biographies: Mandela: The Rebel Who Led His Nation To Freedom World History Biographies: Eleanor of Aquitaine: The Queen Who Rode Off to Battle History's Timeline: A 40,000 Year Chronology of Civilization Egyptian Myth