Start by marking “The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) ” as Want to Read:
The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) (The Lord of the Rings #1)

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,497,116 Ratings  ·  12,293 Reviews

The first volume in J.R.R. Tokien's epic adventure The Lord of the Rings

"Here are beauties which pierce like swords or burn like cold iron." — C. S. Lewis

"Exciting... Mr. Tolkien's invention is unflagging." — W. H. Auden

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In ancient times the Rings of Power were c

Published 1969 by Houghton Mifflin Company (first published July 29th 1954)

Gerry Bevers I think the problem, Jim, is that you are trying to burn through the pages in search of excitement and answers. Slow down and enjoy the journey.…moreI think the problem, Jim, is that you are trying to burn through the pages in search of excitement and answers. Slow down and enjoy the journey. Imagine yourself hiking through the Old Forest, remembering the old stories you had heard about it, and wondering who or what made the trail you are following.

I see Tom Bombadil and Lady Goldberry as adding to the mystery of the forest. They are meant to stimulate our imagination and cause us to wonder about their origin and history, cause us to ask questions about them. They are like the ruins of the castles and fortresses along the way that cause us to wonder who once lived there. They are like the blue-stoned brooch Tom Bombadil found among the treasure in the burial mound of the Borrow-wight, the brooch that causes us to wonder about the woman to whom it once belonged. They are there to remind us that the history of the world goes back many lifetimes and is full of mystery.(less)
Anne-Marie If you want the whole poem, it has a few other verses:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of…more
If you want the whole poem, it has a few other verses:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.(less)

Lyndz
I refuse to write a review for one of the best books ever written. Asking a serious fantasy fan to write a review for Lord of the Rings is like asking a Christian to write a review for The Bible.
So instead I will supply you with this graph:
Khanh (the Grinch)
Never have I been so sad to give a low rating to such a revered book. I'm so sorry. I can't tell you how sorry I am.

Again, I'm so sorry, but I found this book unbelievably dull. I really am so, so sorry. I'm desperately sad about this. This series has been such a foundation for modern-day fantasy that I'm incredibly disappointed in myself for not liking this. I have always wanted to be a Tolkien fangirl. I've always wanted to learn Elvish and get completely offended à la Stephen Colbert but I ca
J.G. Keely
Authors who inspire a movement are usually misunderstood, especially by those they have inspired, and Tolkien is no exception, but one of the biggest misconceptions about Tolkien is the idea that he is somehow an 'innovator of fantasy'. He did add a number of techniques to the repertoire of epic fantasy writers, and these have been dutifully followed by his many imitators, but for the most part, these techniques are little more than bad habits.

Many have called Tolkien by such epithets as 'The Fa
Kane
Feb 07, 2011 Kane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A review of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, by Sauron

Hello. You may remember me as the title character of the Lord of Rings. I go by a lot of names: Dark Lord of Mordor, Sorcerer, Red Eye, Dark Power, Lord of Barad-dûr, Ring-maker and Base Master of Treachery (I use that one in my band). I actually object to Tolkien's chosen name of Sauron, which I understand originates from an adjective that means "foul, putrid" in his crappy invented language. What can I say, the showers in Mordor a
Matt
Jun 10, 2010 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't really "cool" back in high school. I never made out with girls under the bleachers, or smoked under the bleachers, or did any of the other things under the bleachers that - I am lead to believe - the popular kids did. Instead, I maintained a low profile and waited for the teenage years - that wilderness of strangled thinking - to end.

In high school, as today, I harbored geekish obsessions, had a wandering imagination, and nurtured an appreciation for minutiate. In other words, I should
Alejandro
The Journey begins!!!

THE EVOLUTION OF A RING’S STORY

Courage is found in unlikely places.

What started up as an adventure oriented for children turned into an epic fantasy...

...THE epic fantasy book, anything else in the genre after this, born here, any other author writing in this field, began here, and even impacted in many other genres and formats.

Certainly, in The Hobbit, there are dangers, there is death, so thinking about it as a children’s tale is a much debated issue, but it’s clear
Jason Koivu
Jul 31, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Give me a few friends,
a stretch of pleasant hills and an ominous wood.
Let us romp in the remnants of innocence,
free of the fear coursing through the veins of the greater world.
Give me the first half dozen chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring and I will gladly make a little heaven on earth out of it.

After finishing The Hobbit as a young boy, I needed something else, something a little more mature to meet my growing needs. Lucky for me, Tolkien had done just that in the form of his epic trilogy
Doc Opp
Apr 29, 2007 Doc Opp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fantasy
Tolkein's masterpiece is notable primarily for its historical significance. He basically invented the fantasy genre, and because of that all fantasy readers owe him a debt of gratitude. Many things in his books will seem somewhat cliche nowadays, but that's because they have been used so often since he wrote this book - almost all of them were original when this book was written.

That said, Tolkein is not a terribly good writer. He tends to go on in excruciating detail about trivial concepts. Par
Linda
(Update: Want to read the complete review? Visit the article in Counterpunch!)

I'll admit this: the only reason why I read the LOTR Trilogy was because I was jealous.

The year: 1972. It was a time of ridiculously insane fashion: hot pants, maxi-coats (and pads) and rough-woven cotton shirts, so scratchy they felt like the sartorial equivalent of surgical gauze with chunks of wood stuck between the weave. It was not for the faint-hearted.

And of course, who was the most faint-hearted? Me. I was ent
adam
May 03, 2007 adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read the review by Doc Opp; I think he covers it quite nicely. He explains how Tolkien was the forefather of fantasy writing, and why that makes his books important. He also shares his opinion that the historical importance sort of causes people to overlook that Tolkien couldn't write worth beans.

Opp posits that perhaps it has something to do with the concept of heroism being different in Tolkien's days than it is now. I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean I agree that his characters are a stud
Bryce
Oct 12, 2007 Bryce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone. This is an essential read.
I consider the Lord of the Rings trilogy the best fantasy, and perhaps the best fiction, ever written. Middle Earth is a beautiful, rich, complete land to which Narnia pales by comparison (don't get me wrong, I very much like Narnia, too).

The beginning of the quest, which starts innocently but dives into a much larger, darker world than its protagonist, Frodo Baggins, could have ever imagined, is absolutely spellbinding. A small portion of the near-infinite background is revealed and armed with
Anne (Anneshka)
CONTENT DISCLAIMER: I was feeling very muppet-y when I wrote this. Please bear with me :D

This book is not for the faint-hearted.
I've never known a book to come with so much baggage, I swear. So first things first.

YOU &YOUR BOOK
In situations where you find yourself entangled with a book like this, the things you have to ask yourself are:
Am I ready for this?
Do I have the time and strength for this?
Am I ready to accept the outcome of this? Because chances are things won't work out at all
Becky
I've read this series many, many times, though it's been years since the last time. There was a period between 2001 and 2008 in which this trilogy was in the rotation of several series that I would read again and again and again. So it's pretty safe to say that this was a favorite.

But then in 2008 I joined Goodreads, and my reading habits have changed. I think about books differently, more critically, because now I review them all. And that has not been great news for this read through.

I can s
Lyn
Aug 12, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tonight on Anderson Cooper 360, we find ourselves in Murfreesboro, Tennessee and at The Green Dragon Public House, a Tolkien inspired pub. Our special guest tonight is none other than THE Hobbit, Mr. Bilbo Baggins, formerly of the Shire. We’ll have a moment to get to know the individual that has meant so much to generations of literary fans and then to a new generation of movie going fans in this last decade. Bilbo, how are you tonight?

Bilbo Baggins: I’m well; thank you, Anderson, and how about
Chris
Do you have an old, worn piece of clothing? Perhaps that sweat shirt that you can’t wear anywhere except to bed or walking your dog? Perhaps it is an old blanket, a pair of shoes, maybe it’s a stuff animal. Regardless of what it is, every time you touch it or smell it, you feel peace, warmth, or perhaps, even home.

Know what I’m talking about? Good, that’s how The Lord of the Rings feels to me. I don’t how many times I’ve read the trilogy itself, let alone each book. I do know that I had to buy a
K.D. Absolutely
Jan 28, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books; 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
No debate: This is monumental!

Tolkien created a whole new world called Middle-earth. When Peter Jackson's movie adaptation came out in 2001, I thought that Middle-earth was some kind of an ancient city that was submerged somewhere beneath the earth just like Atlantis was a fictional city in the bottom of the sea. Well, that was before I attempted to read this book. When that movie came out in 2001, I bought a copy of the book with Elijah Wood on the cover but I did not get past page 50. I found
Emily
You know how they say

That's
description

The Fellowship of the Ring is proof of that! It takes the rule of show-don't-tell and flushes it down the toilet, because who would rather experience all the kick-ass action scenes themselves when they could just hear someone discussing them over dinner tables like they were discussing rice vs. potatoes? Pffft, no one ofc....

Right?

I mean, who likes action anyway. Why don't we just drop all the action in general and add pages of pages of scenery descriptions instead?

He
helen the bookowl
How could you not rate this book 5 stars? :D
Yasmin (Book Unicorn)
description

Just bought the entire series in one gigantic book. It's over 1,000 pages and weighs about 2 pounds. Gonna have a shit load of fun carrying this to school...
Laz
Jan 28, 2015 Laz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: epic/high fantasy lovers
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”

This is a world of wonder that Mr. Tolkien created more than 60 years ago and it leaves me at a loss for words to think he created something that then was considered to be 'nothing at all' but now stil
Franco  Santos
Jan 18, 2015 Franco Santos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creo que su alguien menciona la palabra fantasía lo primero que se nos viene a la cabeza es Tolkien. Así que no sé qué podría decir de este libro. Pienso que todos saben lo que significa este autor para el género y la literatura. La saga de El Señor de los Anillos es una reliquia.

«Tres Anillos para los Reyes Elfos bajo el cielo.
Siete para los Señores Enanos en palacios de piedra.
Nueve para los Hombres Mortales condenados a morir.
Uno para el Señor Oscuro, sobre el trono oscuro
en la Tierra de Mord
Jeff
Apr 19, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I know crazy that I have only just read this for the first time! I am not going to do much of review because everyone knows what this book is about and how great and foundational it is to the fantasy genre. I will say it is one of the very few instances that j saw the movies before reading the novels! With that being said, why would the movie leave out Tom bombadil!! Easily my favourite character. Anyway some will notice the 4 stars and wonder why. I know that most people might disagree with me ...more
Kimi
Jul 24, 2015 Kimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics

There are some books that keep staring at you from you tbr of shame. Those books that everybody else has read but you. Yes, I'm talking about that Harry Potter book you skipped and only watched the movie, or that classic you had to read for school but just used sparknotes instead. The Lord of The Rings was that book for me. I felt like a fraud book worm until the day I finally read it.

I've been trying to write a review for this book ever since I finished it but the truth is

This book is everyth
FlibBityFLooB
I suppose what I am about to type will be considered sacrilegious to some reading this review. However, I always believe in honesty in reviews, so here goes anyway :)

As much as I love the story, I have to say that I liked the movie better than the book. *gasp* There’s the blasphemy for you. Hehehehe. There was just so much singing in the book. I wish I could have skimmed the singing passages, but I was listening to the audiobook which made skipping the songs difficult. Maybe I was clouded in my
Jessica
Jul 15, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone. Literally.
I first read this book after stumbling upon my father's copy. I hadn't enjoyed it (at the time, Tolkien seemed a little too long-winded for my taste); however, when five years later I requested the full set of Harry Potter novels (whatever had been out at the time), my Mother bypassed Rowling and bought my a full set of Tolkien instead... and I have been in love ever since.

I once read a quote about J.R.R. Tolkien, which asked increduously: "How did one man, in the course of a single lifetime, be
Ümit
Tutup burada LotR övecek değilim. Ben daha çok, okumak için bu kadar beklettiğime hayıflanıyorum. Ama benim açımdan çok da anormal değil bu durum, zira fantastik edebiyatla aram hiçbir zaman çok iyi olmadı.

Neyse. Açıkçası önyargılarımın boşa çıktığını gördüğüme sevindim. Her şeyiyle harika. Her ne kadar bazı kısımlarında biraz sıkılsam da -ki bunlar hakikaten azdır- elimden bırakamadığımı da belirtmeliyim.

Tolkien, sık sık 'alegori falan yapmadım, düz yazdım öyle' demiş. Haklıdır, yazarın kendi
Denisse
Feb 18, 2015 Denisse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-adult-books
description

"Y aquellos que habitan mas allá del mar no lo recibirán: para mal o para bien pertenece a la Tierra Media. El problema tenemos que resolverlo nosotros, los que aun vivimos aquí"

NOTA: Hay algo que quiero expresar antes de dar mi opinión sobre el libro: Esa quote la AME! No creo que la mayoría entienda el significado de esas lineas. Verán, la pregunta ¿Porque Dios deja que estas cosas pasen? es muy común, no creo que pueda ser explicado de una mejor manera que con esas sabias palabras del maest
Lady Bilbo (Nicole)
I'm not even going to start talking about how much I bloody love this book and how amazing it is. GAH!!!

Amar
Jan 03, 2016 Amar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-in-2016
Zanimljiv dan da završim knjigu . Danas bi bio Tolkienu rođendan . Da sam tražio bolji , ne bi ga našao . Sretan rođendan J.R.R.Tolkien i mnogo ti hvala za svaku ispisanu riječ !

Što se knjige tiče , nema se tu šta reći , kad je već sve rečeno : Zabavno , maštovito i čarobno .

Uskoro idem na drugi dio .
Brian
Update, Sixth Read 2015: I've read many authors this year and have written almost every day, so I'm growing. Having said that I must say I found a few new things about this story. I caught a few things teachers tell writers to NOT do. Tolkien often uses the words "all of a sudden," and "suddenly." The story paces slow up to Rivendell and doesn't kick in until they reach Lorien. A modern reader will quickly find this a bore, and I encourage readers to hold out until Rivendell at least. The trilog ...more
Reading 9 37 34 minutes ago
A/J Buddyreads: FotR Week 4: END OF BOOK 1 1 3 Jan 21, 2016 07:27PM
Eastside Sci-Fi &...: "The Fellowship of the Ring" chapters 1-7 discussion 3 3 Jan 15, 2016 10:32AM
Around the Year i...: The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien 6 21 Jan 07, 2016 08:46AM
  • The Guns of Avalon
  • The Power That Preserves (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #3)
  • Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)
  • Serpent Mage (The Death Gate Cycle, #4)
  • The Earthsea Quartet (Earthsea Cycle, #1-4)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)
  • Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • The Darkest Road (The Fionavar Tapestry, #3)
  • Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, #2)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

The Lord of the Rings (3 books)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)

“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”
42543 likes