Start by marking “The Commanders” as Want to Read:
The Commanders

The Commanders

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  484 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
It is impossible to examine any part of the war on terrorism in the twenty-first century without seeing the hand of Dick Cheney, Colin Powell or one of their loyalists. The Commanders, an account of the use of the military in the first Bush administration, is in many respects their story—the intimate account of the tensions, disagreements and debates on the road to war.

It
Published January 1st 2002 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Commanders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Commanders

Master and Commander by Patrick O'BrianTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Good Soldier by Ford Madox FordThe French Lieutenant's Woman by John FowlesThe Steadfast Tin Soldier by Hans Christian Andersen
Military Men
136th out of 155 books — 47 voters
Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNabThe One That Got Away by Chris RyanGulf War Journal by Don LomaxDesert Storm by Joseph B. GeorgeMy Journey as a Combat Medic by Patrick Thibeault
Best Desert Storm Books
5th out of 17 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Erik Graff
Mar 08, 2013 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Iraq War fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
Another one of Bob Woodward's instant insider history books, published soon after the first war against Iraq. As ever, one wonders what the author amended to maintain the confidence of the figures he depends upon for information. As ever, one wonders how much of this book is Woodward's, how much that of his assistants in this ongoing industry.
عبدالرحمن محمود
ﺃﺳﻠﻮﺏ ﻫﺬﺍ الكﺗﺎﺏ يذكﺭﻧﻲ ﺟﺪﺍ ﺑﺄﺳﻠﻮﺏ ﻫﻴﻜﻞ ﻓﻲ ﻃﺮﺡ ﺍﻟﺄﺣﺪﺍﺙ وﺗﻨﻆﻴﻤﻬﺎ وﺗﺘﺎﺑﻌﻬﺎ ,ﺃﺳﻠﻮﺑﻪ مﺷﻮﻕ ﺍﻟﻰ أبعد حد.
ﺃﻣﺎ ﻣﻦ نﺍﺣﻴﺔ ﺍﻟﻤﻀﻤﻮﻥ ﻓﺎﻥ ﺍﻟﺘﺪﺧﻠﺎﺕ الﻋﺴﻜﺮﻳﺔ لﻟﻮﻟﺎﻳﺎﺕ ﺍﻟﻤﺘﺤﺪﺓ ﻭﺷﺮﻋﻴﺘﻬﺎ ﺃﻣﺮ شﺍﺋﻚ جﺩﺍ.

ﺍﻟﻤﻠﺎﺣﻆ أﻧﻪ ﺣﺘﻰ ﻟﻮ ﻛﺎﻥ ﺍﻟﺘﺪﺧﻞ ضد نﻇﺎﻡ فان ﺍﻟﺎﻋﺘﺒﺎﺭﺍﺕ ﺍﻟﺎﻧﺴﺎﻧﻴﺔ تتساقط ويﺻﺒﺢ ﻗﺼﻒ ﺍﻟﺠﺴﻮﺭ وﺍﻟﻤﻨﺸﺎﺕ ﺃﻣﺮ عاد ﻣﻦ أجل تحقيق اﻟﻨﺼﺮ ,ﻭﻫﺬﺍ مما ﻟﺎ يقبل فيه ﺃﻱ تبرير ﻣﻬﻤﺎ ﻛﺎﻥ.ﻟﻘﺪ اﻧﺤﺮﻓﺖ اﻟﻮﻟﺎﻳﺎﺕ المﺗﺤﺪﺓ اﻧﺤﺮﺍﻓﺎﺕ مﺗﺘﺎﻟﻴﺔ حتى وصلت ﺍﻟﻰ الحالة ﺍﻟﻤﺰﺭﻳﺔ ﻓﻲ عهد بوش الحمار أقصد ﺍﻟﺎﺑﻦ ﺛﻢ ﺃﻭﺑﺎﻣﺎ الﻋﺠﻴﺐ.

ﻳﺒﻘﻰ ﺍﻟﺴﺆﺍﻝ ﺑﻠﺎ جواب ﺣﺘﻰ ﻟﺄﻧﺼﺎﺭ ﺻﺪﺍﻡ ,
Joseph Stieb
May 04, 2016 Joseph Stieb rated it really liked it
Shelves: iraq
This book is what Bob Woodward is all about: inside access. He provides an interesting and fairly quick moving account of the Bush administration's major military decisions in the Panama and Iraq crises from 1989-1991. Woodward basically just gives you the narrative along with some interesting tidbits and anecdotes. You get a solid if somewhat piecemeal account of how the decisions to do X or Y developed and some really vivid portraits of certain decision makers. This book is especially good for ...more
Alex Gregory
Sep 23, 2015 Alex Gregory rated it it was ok
Bob Woodward's 1991 "on-the-ground narrative", The Commanders, does its best to portray the events that shaped former President George Bush Sr.'s term in office, but is incredibly dated, and is only worth a read for the most hardcore Washington-politic fanatics.

This book is dry. Really dry. Despite Woodward's best attempts, the characterization of Bush Sr.'s cabinet in the runup to the first Persian/Iraq war just isn't as exciting as he tries to make seem. Various chapters consist of the backgro
Robert Jones
Jun 03, 2015 Robert Jones rated it really liked it
It's well-written, and very informative and easy to access even for someone who doesn't know anything about the Gulf War, or President H.W. Bush's military actions in Panama. It focused on the three important military players at the time: Colin Powell, Dick Cheney, and the president himself, as well as a myriad of other generals and commanders in chief. I found it to be a little too Powell-centric for my tastes; while I can appreciate the desire to have a central character to propel a narrative, ...more
Jul 20, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know a lot about the American invasion of Panama, nor do I know nearly as much as I really should know about the first Gulf War, so reading this was a great way to get caught up. Woodward's writing is very readable, you're getting a history lesson without having to endure dry historical narrative. Interesting (to me) learn about the machinations of the US president and his closest advisors, and their relationship to the Pentagon.
Steve Jones
Feb 21, 2016 Steve Jones rated it it was amazing
Shelves: us-history
Read this following the First Gulf War (I think - but definitely early 1990s). It was well-written, easy to read, highly informative and made me believe that the US was justified in protecting Kuwait. Now, I think differently and believe it was just another attempt by the US to 'protect its own interests'.
Jon
Nov 03, 2013 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covers the invasion of Panama and the run-up to the Gulf War. Since I was of an age to be aware of the Gulf War but not of Panama I did appreciate having the two together. There are some very telling parallels and contrasts with Iraq II (which may be artifacts of Woodward's presentation). On the similar side, both Bushes are remarkably similar in their appetite for detail and emphasis on loyalty. On the difference side, there was very strong concern about keeping the Gulf War from being another ...more
Jason Goetz
Apr 13, 2015 Jason Goetz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finito
And as always with Woodward, fact-based. Very important and makes for great reading.
Ron Bryson
Apr 06, 2014 Ron Bryson rated it really liked it
Very informative as to the relationships between major decision makers.
Dave
Jun 23, 2009 Dave rated it really liked it
I found this book much more satisfying than the last Woodward I read (The War Within). The Commanders seemed to have left fewer holes. All the vital decisions made by the elder Bush, Powell and Cheney felt vigorously described. I get the feeling that Cheney is the missing link. It looks like he cooperated with Woodward on this book, and perhaps gave the author the cold shoulder on War Within. Reading The Commanders I am struck by how many characters involved in the Panama invasion and Gulf War I ...more
Michael
Apr 30, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is perhaps the first book that got me interest in government. I had always followed politics for being so young, but I had never put much thought into what went on behind the scenes. When I read this as a young teen in the 90's, my eyes opened. Ever since then, I've been less concerned about the political games of election politics, and much more about the everyday politics of actually running the nation. It's not only about what you see on the television news.
Rachel
May 08, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
It is like stepping back in time. My favorite line went something like - they were able to communicate fast because of something called electronic mail (Email). HOwever, Woodward does not disappoint. The Commanders covers the lead up to the Gulf War and does a nice job of covering the personalities in the White House and the Pentagon - same folks of course as just a few years back.
Tunjung
Aug 22, 2012 Tunjung rated it really liked it
It's The Lord Of The Rings of non-fiction,so many detail in it that it's hard to pick up the pace of my reading for fear of missing one of many bit part scattered around it.But nontheless,thoroughly engrossing,and keeps me wondering how extensive web of inside connection Woodward has to be able to tell such story.
Jerome
Jul 13, 2008 Jerome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History/Military buffs
Recommended to Jerome by: Used book store.
Good stuff. But unfortunately it only tells part of the story and was published in 1991. So that by the time I read it (2008) it was totaly out of date. Bob Woodward is a good writer but too soft on the powers that be and it centers too much on C. Powel.
Caleb
Dec 03, 2009 Caleb rated it it was amazing
So far - excellent. More readable than "Veil". Obviously, no one I know gets the access Woodward gets. Reads like the best Frontline episode you ever saw. Highly informative. This is no dry history. Looking forward to checking out his W chroncles.
Carla
Dec 03, 2011 Carla rated it really liked it
Woodward is great as always, this time with a history of the decision-making that led us into a conflict in Panama and ultimately the Gulf War. Very interesting, particularly in view of everything that came after.
Ardita
Mar 18, 2008 Ardita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the book to understand more about U.S. diplomacy and politics around the invasion to Kuwait back in 1991. It was interesting to understand what actually happen between Bush Sr. top brass back then.
Steve
A good overview of Bush I administrations war planning for Panama and Kuwait. Also a great overview of the military structure and function in both peace time and war.
Mike
Mar 10, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing
In depth look at the top levels of the US military and Defense Department from the end of the Cold War to the invasion of Panama to the pre-Desert Shield days.
Victor Sianghio
May 18, 2012 Victor Sianghio rated it really liked it
A very intricate and almost complicated book to read. One must have an appreciation of history and politics to understand what Bob Woodward wrote.
Tony
Oct 05, 2012 Tony is currently reading it
Provides insights on the upper echelons of the GHWB Administration and the U.S. military during the Persian Gulf War. Very informative.
Bob Hochstein
Apr 11, 2012 Bob Hochstein rated it it was amazing
Bob Woodward lays out the behind scenes workings of President Bush and his team in the events leading to Panama and Desert Storm
Marc
Cheney ran the show. Now there's a revelation. The culmination of the take-over of the executive of USA by the military.
Douglas Graney
Sep 07, 2008 Douglas Graney rated it really liked it
Great read on the run-up to the Persian Gulf war (1991).
Dmitri
Jun 18, 2008 Dmitri rated it liked it
Apparently Cheney was a dick even back in '88. Who knew?
Jake Gordon
Sep 17, 2008 Jake Gordon rated it liked it
Good telling of what happened during the Gulf War.
Timothy R.
Sep 13, 2007 Timothy R. rated it it was amazing
Woodward at the top of his game.
Josh Wilson
Josh Wilson marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Troy
Troy marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
  • The Haldeman Diaries
  • Setting the Desert on Fire: T. E. Lawrence and Britain's Secret War in Arabia, 1916-1918
  • The Vantage Point: Perspectives of the Presidency 1963-1969.
  • Robert Kennedy in His Own Words: The Unpublished Recollections of the Kennedy Years
  • Invisible Nation: How the Kurds' Quest for Statehood Is Shaping Iraq and the Middle East
  • آخرين سفر شاه
  • Tell Me How This Ends: General David Petraeus and the Search for a Way Out of Iraq
  • It Doesn't Take a Hero: The Autobiography of General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
  • Lawrence Of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence
  • The Making of the President 1968
  • To Dare and to Conquer: Special Operations and the Destiny of Nations, from Achilles to Al Qaeda
  • A World Of Trouble: The White House and the Middle East- from the Cold War to the War on Terror
  • Nancy Reagan: The Unauthorized Biography
  • A Question Of Intent: A Great American Battle With A Deadly Industry
  • The Fourth Star: Four Generals and the Epic Struggle for the Future of the United States Army
  • Memoirs, Vol 2: Years of Trial and Hope (Leaders of Our Times)
  • Man of the House: The Life and Political Memoirs of Speaker Tip O'Neill .
  • War at the Top of the World: The Struggle for Afghanistan, Kashjmir and Tibet (Revised & Updated)
Robert "Bob" Upshur Woodward is an assistant managing editor of The Washington Post. While an investigative reporter for that newspaper, Woodward, working with fellow reporter Carl Bernstein, helped uncover the Watergate scandal that led to U.S. President Richard Nixon's resignation. Woodward has written 12 best-selling non-fiction books and has twice contributed reporting to efforts that collecti ...more
More about Bob Woodward...