Start by marking “The Commanders” as Want to Read:
The Commanders

The Commanders

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  21 reviews
It is impossible to examine any part of the war on terrorism in the twenty-first century without seeing the hand of Dick Cheney, Colin Powell or one of their loyalists. The Commanders, an account of the use of the military in the first Bush administration, is in many respects their story -- the intimate account of the tensions, disagreements and debates on the road to war.
Published January 1st 2002 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Commanders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Commanders

Master and Commander by Patrick O'BrianTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Good Soldier by Ford Madox FordThe French Lieutenant's Woman by John FowlesThe Steadfast Tin Soldier by Hans Christian Andersen
Military Men
132nd out of 151 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Erik Graff
Mar 08, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Iraq War fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
Another one of Bob Woodward's instant insider history books, published soon after the first war against Iraq. As ever, one wonders what the author amended to maintain the confidence of the figures he depends upon for information. As ever, one wonders how much of this book is Woodward's, how much that of his assistants in this ongoing industry.
Jon
Covers the invasion of Panama and the run-up to the Gulf War. Since I was of an age to be aware of the Gulf War but not of Panama I did appreciate having the two together. There are some very telling parallels and contrasts with Iraq II (which may be artifacts of Woodward's presentation). On the similar side, both Bushes are remarkably similar in their appetite for detail and emphasis on loyalty. On the difference side, there was very strong concern about keeping the Gulf War from being another ...more
Ron Bryson
Very informative as to the relationships between major decision makers.
Dave
I found this book much more satisfying than the last Woodward I read (The War Within). The Commanders seemed to have left fewer holes. All the vital decisions made by the elder Bush, Powell and Cheney felt vigorously described. I get the feeling that Cheney is the missing link. It looks like he cooperated with Woodward on this book, and perhaps gave the author the cold shoulder on War Within. Reading The Commanders I am struck by how many characters involved in the Panama invasion and Gulf War I ...more
Michael
This is perhaps the first book that got me interest in government. I had always followed politics for being so young, but I had never put much thought into what went on behind the scenes. When I read this as a young teen in the 90's, my eyes opened. Ever since then, I've been less concerned about the political games of election politics, and much more about the everyday politics of actually running the nation. It's not only about what you see on the television news.
Rachel
It is like stepping back in time. My favorite line went something like - they were able to communicate fast because of something called electronic mail (Email). HOwever, Woodward does not disappoint. The Commanders covers the lead up to the Gulf War and does a nice job of covering the personalities in the White House and the Pentagon - same folks of course as just a few years back.
Tunjung
It's The Lord Of The Rings of non-fiction,so many detail in it that it's hard to pick up the pace of my reading for fear of missing one of many bit part scattered around it.But nontheless,thoroughly engrossing,and keeps me wondering how extensive web of inside connection Woodward has to be able to tell such story.
Jerome
Jul 13, 2008 Jerome rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History/Military buffs
Recommended to Jerome by: Used book store.
Good stuff. But unfortunately it only tells part of the story and was published in 1991. So that by the time I read it (2008) it was totaly out of date. Bob Woodward is a good writer but too soft on the powers that be and it centers too much on C. Powel.
Caleb
So far - excellent. More readable than "Veil". Obviously, no one I know gets the access Woodward gets. Reads like the best Frontline episode you ever saw. Highly informative. This is no dry history. Looking forward to checking out his W chroncles.
Carla
Woodward is great as always, this time with a history of the decision-making that led us into a conflict in Panama and ultimately the Gulf War. Very interesting, particularly in view of everything that came after.
Ardita
I read the book to understand more about U.S. diplomacy and politics around the invasion to Kuwait back in 1991. It was interesting to understand what actually happen between Bush Sr. top brass back then.
Steve
A good overview of Bush I administrations war planning for Panama and Kuwait. Also a great overview of the military structure and function in both peace time and war.
Mike
In depth look at the top levels of the US military and Defense Department from the end of the Cold War to the invasion of Panama to the pre-Desert Shield days.
Victor Sianghio
A very intricate and almost complicated book to read. One must have an appreciation of history and politics to understand what Bob Woodward wrote.
Tony
Oct 05, 2012 Tony is currently reading it
Provides insights on the upper echelons of the GHWB Administration and the U.S. military during the Persian Gulf War. Very informative.
Bob Hochstein
Bob Woodward lays out the behind scenes workings of President Bush and his team in the events leading to Panama and Desert Storm
Marc
Cheney ran the show. Now there's a revelation. The culmination of the take-over of the executive of USA by the military.
Douglas Graney
Great read on the run-up to the Persian Gulf war (1991).
Dmitri
Apparently Cheney was a dick even back in '88. Who knew?
Jake Gordon
Good telling of what happened during the Gulf War.
Timothy R.
Woodward at the top of his game.
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
الـعـنـود
الـعـنـود marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Noha Atef
Noha Atef marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Kris
Kris is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
  • The Haldeman Diaries
  • Robert Kennedy in His Own Words: The Unpublished Recollections of the Kennedy Years
  • Setting the Desert on Fire: T. E. Lawrence and Britain's Secret War in Arabia, 1916-1918
  • Nancy Reagan: The Unauthorized Biography
  • Invisible Nation: How the Kurds' Quest for Statehood Is Shaping Iraq and the Middle East
  • A World Of Trouble: The White House and the Middle East- from the Cold War to the War on Terror
  • It Doesn't Take a Hero: The Autobiography of General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
  • Lawrence Of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence
  • Blind Ambition
  • The Making of the President 1968
  • Man of the House: The Life and Political Memoirs of Speaker Tip O'Neill .
  • American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune and the Politics of Deceit in the House of Bush
  • My American Journey
  • A Question Of Intent: A Great American Battle With A Deadly Industry
  • Memoirs: Year of Decisions
  • Tell Me How This Ends: General David Petraeus and the Search for a Way Out of Iraq
  • Violent Politics: A History of Insurgency, Terrorism, and Guerrilla War, from the American Revolution to Iraq
  • A   Vast Conspiracy: The Real Story of the Sex Scandal That Nearly Brought Down a President
Robert "Bob" Upshur Woodward is an assistant managing editor of The Washington Post. While an investigative reporter for that newspaper, Woodward, working with fellow reporter Carl Bernstein, helped uncover the Watergate scandal that led to U.S. President Richard Nixon's resignation. Woodward has written 12 best-selling non-fiction books and has twice contributed reporting to efforts that collecti ...more
More about Bob Woodward...
Obama's Wars The Final Days The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court Plan of Attack State of Denial