Flip-Flopped

Flip-Flopped

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  41 reviews
A charming story of single motherhood, a fierce custody battle, and a once dormant volcano that�s suddenly about to blow.

Hawaii may be the island of romance according to the travel brochures, but for Keeley Baker-Kekuhi, lately it�s been anything but. She�s broke, stuck in a dead-end job, studying an extinct volcano---and her husband, Kam, has just dumped her for a h
Published May 2nd 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published July 12th 2002)

Iris
Jul 21, 2009 Iris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
I certainly enjoyed this book, but it was what I was looking for at the time. Something light and breezy. Nothing too complicated at all. I fully admit to not using my brain much during this reading, but I had a slight migraine and I was not tired enough to sleep. Not the authors best work, but still good.
Caitlin Moyer
After reading Jill Smolinksi's "The Next Thing on My List," I was very eager to read more by this author so I picked up "Flip-Flopped."

While it was a good, easy read, I found this novel harder to get into, perhaps because I felt distanced from all of the characters. Usually in a chick-lit type book, I can relate to the heroine or main character, but in this case, I was very detached from her.

The book also had a number of different themes running throughout--with plot lines pertaining to everythi...more
Juliane
Habe mich bis Seite 65 durchgequält, dann aufgegeben. Eindeutig nicht mein Fall!
Mandyfujita
The character of Keeley Baker-Kekuhi was hard for me to cheer for. There are parts of her that I enjoyed reading about like her interaction with Ian Gardiner, the artist rep that is attracted to her. Even her best friend Regatta who made Keeley her maid of honor is funny to read about. What I didn't like was her relationship with her soon to be ex-husband, Kam, who moved in with his girlfriend and is trying for full custody of their child, Dante.

I realize that the story is named Flip-Floopped,...more
Sara Strand
So the book, to me, has a very similar love story as The Next Thing On My List, so much so that I could already tell the ending. Normally I would hate this, but this was such a relatable story for me that I overlooked it and kept reading. Totally glad I did because there was a few twists in it, but overall it was good. The thing that was distracting to me was the secondary story of this damn volcano that I think took away from the main storyline. That's just me though. Basically it's about a wom...more
Trudy
If you like chick lit... this is pretty good. The story of a mainlander, Keely, that goes to Hawaii to study volcanos and meets, has a kid with, and marries a native Hawaiin. Hubby (Kam) cheats... so they are in the middle of a divorce... sometimes nasty, sometimes sweet... Keely meets Ian while in line to get Davy Jones' autograph... The guy I was rooting for didn't win which makes me a little sad, but it was entertaining... easy, and cute/quirky and throw in a fairly extinct volcano acting up...more
Leesh
I was warned by most reviews that the books wasn't that great. Many liked the beginning but said the rest was a bore. I agree with this. I really enjoyed the start, it got me intrigued but then when a new guy came into the picture, I lost interest. This is mainly because I liked Keeley and Kam together. I kept on reading because I was rooting for them. Not to give too much away, I was quite disappointed with the ending. What helped me get through this book was I had actors in mind as I read from...more
Alenna
Jan 11, 2014 Alenna rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: quit
I have never been a book quitter... I just couldn't do it. But I gave this book 10 pages to grab my attention, to proceed from one thought to the next understandably and to get me interested in the characters. It didn't pass the test.
So I'm starting a new thing for 2014 - no more reading books that I don't like. (I still don't think I'll be able to quit a book halfway through, but I'm not going to force myself to read something just because I've read a chapter or two and it sucks.) Life is too...more
Heather Hamilton
I thoroughly enjoyed this story, probably because it has plenty of heart-wrenching spots. You all know I love a good tragedy. I actually stayed up all night and read it in one sitting. That fact alone warrants an extra star. This is my second novel by Jill Smolinski. She's going on my read-everything-she-writes list.

There were plenty of items for me to critique, but none of them were that annoying and none of them even stilted the speed/flow with which I was reading, so who cares what they are?
Selene Gudino
Not really what i was expecting. Kinda fools you but you can still know the end since the begining. This book can surely work as a beach reading while you watch the kids or something, but if you have just a little time to read i urge you not to chose this one. Is light and sometimes kindda funny, but i really expected more. Is not bad though, read it if you have it. I think the author have a lot of potencial, this is my first read of her, but im looking forward to read THE NEXT THING ON MY LIST.
Julee
Sehr entäuschendes Buch. da wollte ich nur mal was seichtes nebenbei lesen und es stellt sich als sehr langweilig und nichtssagend herraus. Vielleicht liegt es daran, das ich noch keine eigenen Kinder habe, Scheidungen mich bisher nicht interressieren, Hawaii für mich total unspanned uns und ein Vulkanausbruch das Buch auch nicht rettet. Dabei bin ich mit großen Erwartungen an das Buch rann gegangen. Denn ihr erster Roman "Die Wunschliste" ist soooo schön.
Margaret
Aug 10, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2007
A fun read and I think the title was appropriate - Keeley flip-flopped considerably on what to do in her life but it all worked out in the end. Everyone in the book had odd names - Keeley, Kam, Dante, Regatta and even her quirky lawyer. I loved the setting of Hawaii and the volcano sub-plot and also Keeley's obsession with Davy Jones of the Monkees!
Entertaining but not great. Not memorable. Seemed to take much longer to read than other chick lit of as many pages. Lots of themes and metaphors that made sense in conjunction with the story, so in a literary sense I guess you could say it was good in the way it drew solid parallels. Not reminiscent of The Next Thing on My List at all, though.
Ugh, I thought a book about Hawaii would be great. The only thing I remember from this book involves the scene with the man bringing peas into the ocean for the fish to eat it. I actually had frozen peas in my fridge and tried to feed my fish. Needless to say, doesn't really translate from aquariums from the ocean.
Danette
I think I read this before so I'm stopping at page 50 and skimming the rest.

Found my review from 2006:

Transplant to Hawaiian life, Kelly tries to understand her ex, convince people a volcano is doing the improbable and getting ready to explode, and to learn to date again. Very funny look at life in Hawaii.
Maria
After 50 pages of this book, I abandoned it. I couldn't get interested in the characters or the storyline. For "chick lit", I thought it was lame. I don't say that about many books. Oh well, life is way too short to read books I am not interested in!
K
Jan 28, 2010 K added it
this was a hard book for me to get into. I read several books while reading this one. I must have not read the exerpt and bought it because of the cover pic :) because I had no idea it was a Hawaiian themed book.
Histteach24
Corky read. Best for the beach or when you just want to laugh. Makes you think back to all the times you took back an ex thinking it would be different the second time around-but people don't change.
Briana Alzola
This book actually had more depth than I expected. I expected an airhead hanging out on the beach. But instead I got real characters (some airheads) living in Hawaii. I enjoyed it.
Nickie
I have to say, I didn't get past 50 or 60 pages of this book. Flip-Flopped is an appropriate name because it is all over the place. I couldn't finish it.
Lora Offord
this was a fun easy read. kind of predictable, but i enjoyed it. i'm a sucker for movies and books that are romantic comedies.
Kristen Hook
The book was just ok. I had really enjoyed one of Smolinski's other books, but this was not as good. It was an easy read though.
Christa Mell
Light summer beach reading - pretty funny in some places. If you like light hearted romantic misadventures, this is your book.
Kadi
This book tells a story of a woman’s life and how she deals with problematic events and circumstances.
Emily
Again, a messed up childhood that will keep you entertained. Also fun because it takes place in Hawaii.
Liz
I read about half of this "chic lit" book...and stopped b/c I just didn't care anymore. Sigh...
Kelley
Oct 30, 2008 Kelley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kelley by: Emily
Shelves: chick-lit
Very fun. I remember trying not to giggle when I was in the bus:)
Sonia
I love Geology, so I loved reading this book with the Hawaii setting.
Jill
Cute, fast, fun, easy read - something not too hard to think about.
  • Once Upon A Blind Date
  • Getting Warmer
  • Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-be
  • Younger
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • In One Year and Out the Other: A New Year's Story Collection
  • Fashionably Late
  • Crossing the Line
  • The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook
  • Secret Confessions of the Applewood PTA
I am the author of the novels Objects of My Affection, The Next Thing on My List and Flip-Flopped. I love calling in to book clubs, so visit my web site if you're reading one of my books and would like me to join in the discussion.
More about Jill Smolinski...
The Next Thing on My List Objects of My Affection Objects of My Affection: A Novel The Next Thing on My List: A Novel Friendship Origami (Girls Wanna Have Fun!)