Start by marking “The Good Guy's Guide to Getting the Girl” as Want to Read:
The Good Guy's Guide to Getting the Girl

The Good Guy's Guide to Getting the Girl

""Romantic lad lit with heart - a bit sweary and a bit naughty...!"" A member of the WI Jason Smith, 29, self-confessed 'good guy', is single. Finally.

But now that he is, all the girls he'd happily give up one side of his bed for - like, for instance, his school crush Melanie Jackson, are long gone. Or married. Or crazy. Or inexplicably obsessed with the office heart-throb
Published May 20th 2015 by Soundhaven Books (first published August 7th 2014)

Wendy Steele
Sep 09, 2014 Wendy Steele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You may already know Peter Jones from his fabulous non-fiction books (I loved How to do Everything and be Happy!) but I'm thrilled to say, his novel is brilliant too!

Jones takes the reader on a trip to the 80s, sharing the woes of a young boy, Jason Smith, who has a crush on the saxophonist in the orchestra, Melanie Jackson. We watch him growing up, determined to find the girl of his dreams. The characters are beautifully crafted from best friend, always ready for a pint, Alex to the hideous, sl
Mike
Aug 03, 2015 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could have a go at THE GOOD GUY'S GUIDE TO GETTING THE GIRL for being obvious lad lit, for featuring the sort of 'hero' you want to throttle via a combination of indecision, irritable nuances, laziness and poor life choices, also the fact he's clearly written as played by a hapless yet likeable everyman like Domhall Gleeson in About Time and the book is a bit like that long lost Richard Curtis script... I could do all those things, but the pages turned quickly enough and I rather enjoyed ...more
Rachel Gilbey
May 01, 2016 Rachel Gilbey rated it really liked it
I believe I have had made a mistake, I should have read this one before Peter Jones' newest book, as then I would have probably thought this to be brilliant. As it is, I know he is capable of even better writing, so although I do really like this story, I am delighted to say the author is already showing signs of getting even better.

I think what marginally bugged me about the book, was that every now and then Jason, would be talking to someone and then it would be interspersed with a flashback
Julie Hayward
Feb 25, 2016 Julie Hayward rated it it was amazing
Jason, the main character in this book, is trying to find true love. He's one of the Good Guys but as we all know the Good Guys often get left behind in the wake of the Bad Boys.
This book is really funny, not only because of the way Peter Jones has written it but because you can relate to the story and probably know friends that you could cast as most of the characters.
I have recommended this book to quite a few people, male and female, and all of them have enjoyed it, especially those who reme
Janet Gogerty
Jul 27, 2015 Janet Gogerty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A genuinely funny book that had me laughing out loud. If you are a woman you may get some insight into how men's minds work and Jason is not as shallow as you might expect. The story moves back and forth and an unexpected jump back just before the end to just before the beginning explains a lot... But read and enjoy for yourself.
Conrad Toft
An easy read and I enjoy Peter's style of writing, but I just didn't like the material that much. E same characters in a different context would have been more enjoyable.
Tina Whitehead
Tina Whitehead rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Karen Clarke
Karen Clarke rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Kitty Mulholland
Kitty Mulholland rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Caroline Tyler
Caroline Tyler rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2015
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Jane
Jane rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
Kritika
Kritika rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Si Page
Si Page rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Sonia
Sonia rated it liked it
May 28, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it did not like it
Aug 11, 2015
Kathleen McGurl
Kathleen McGurl rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Kurt Springs
Kurt Springs marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Gerd
Gerd added it
Sep 21, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Nicola Fantom
Nicola Fantom marked it as to-read
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Julia Conway
Julia Conway marked it as to-read
Spencer Broadley
Spencer Broadley marked it as to-read
Ms. Reader
Ms. Reader marked it as to-read
Kirsty
Kirsty marked it as to-read
Richard Hicks
Richard Hicks marked it as to-read
Richard Randall
Richard Randall marked it as to-read
Cheryl Bradley
Cheryl Bradley marked it as to-read
Fiona rose crossley
Fiona rose crossley marked it as to-read
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Lorelei Frank
Lorelei Frank marked it as to-read
Jeni
Jeni marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Amanda Moore
Amanda Moore marked it as to-read
Steve Szabo
Steve Szabo marked it as to-read
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
NormaCenva
NormaCenva marked it as to-read
Melitta Cross
Melitta Cross marked it as to-read
L
L marked it as to-read
Vykki
Vykki marked it as to-read
Kim Hampton
Kim Hampton marked it as to-read
Benoit
Benoit marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
  • The Superheroes Union: Dynama (The Superheroes Union #1)
  • Honeymoon with the Rancher
  • The Robert Sheckley Megapack: 15 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Feinde mit gewissen Vorzügen
  • Dybt at falde (Dan Sommerdahl, #1)
  • The Way Home (InCryptid, #0.2)
  • Renegade (Devoncroix Dynasty, #3)
  • Once Darkness Falls (Preternatural Affairs, #7)
  • Fiction-Writing Modes: Eleven essential tools for bringing your story to life
  • Yseult: A Tale of Love in the Age of King Arthur (The Pendragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Final Cut
Peter Jones started professional life as a particularly rubbish graphic designer, followed by a stint as a mediocre petrol pump attendant. After that he got embroiled in the murky world of credit card banking. Fun times.

Now, Peter spends his days – most of them, anyway – writing.
His latest book “The Good Guy’s Guide to Getting The Girl” is his début novel. It wasn’t a ‘historical’ romance when he
More about Peter Jones...