Start by marking “Baseball Dynasties: The Greatest Teams of All Time” as Want to Read:
Baseball Dynasties: The Greatest Teams of All Time

Baseball Dynasties: The Greatest Teams of All Time

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  8 reviews
It's a debate nearly as old as the sport itself. Sure, there have been plenty of great baseball teams--but which was the best ever? While it seems like an unwinnable argument, the authors of Baseball Dynasties have risen to the challenge. They took the top fifteen teams of the twentieth century, ran them through rigorous statistical analysis, and threw in some good old-fas...more
Published April 17th 2000 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Baseball Dynasties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baseball Dynasties

Rick
Neyer and Epstein attempt, what many before have tried, to uncover the greatest baseball team of all time. Previous baseball scholars usually concentrated on one season while these authors chose to take a three year range of each team in the book (hence the title). Importantly they developed a system to measure teams of different eras. As many serious fans know, the style of play from early in this century is vastly different from today’s game.

Before I get further into my review, I must caution....more
Stevecrandell
This is one of my favorite “find something to flip through for lunch” books. I’ve always like Rob Neyer’s approach to sabermetrics and baseball. Great topic, and there are a lot of fun sidebars to support the main approach to each dynasty team. I also like the fact that Neyer and Epstein took the time to compare their strongest dynasties against each other.

I’m not so big on the Standard Deviation method as the best way to determine whether one team is better than another, but it’s a very clear...more
Matt
This book is great if you are baseball history fan or a statistician. If you are not one of those two things then this book is probably not for you. I love baseball and I love the "greatest x" books but this was not something I could read.
Greg Fanoe
Fits into that very blah middle ground of being interesting on neither a technical nor a narrative level, since the methodology is very simplistic and the quality of writing is just so-so. Still, it's fun to randomly flip through.
Tom
Great book, especially for baseball and stats geeks like myself. Wish there were fewer Yankees teams included and some Pirates teams had been added to mix. Regardless, would strongly recommend to any fan of baseball history
James
Baseball history buffs rejoice. This book is replete with stats and anecdotes and commentary and all sorts of whatnot about the greatest teams the majors ever produced.
Mokieblylk
Very interesting, recommended for baseball fans of course. Can be a little hard to understand the way they figure stats.
Ron Kaplan
teams,history
Vicente Leon
Vicente Leon marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups: A Complete Guide to the Best, Worst, and Most Memorable Players to Ever Grace the Major Leagues Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Blunders: A Complete Guide to the Worst Decisions and Stupidest Moments in Baseball History Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Legends: The Truth, the Lies, and Everything Else Feeding the Green Monster: One Man's Season at Fenway Park Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups: A Complete Guide to the Best, Worst, and Most Memorable Players to Ever Grace the Major Leagues