Start by marking “Baseball Dynasties: The Greatest Teams of All Time” as Want to Read:
Baseball Dynasties: The Greatest Teams of All Time

Baseball Dynasties: The Greatest Teams of All Time

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  148 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
It's a debate nearly as old as the sport itself. Sure, there have been plenty of great baseball teams--but which was the best ever? While it seems like an unwinnable argument, the authors of Baseball Dynasties have risen to the challenge. They took the top fifteen teams of the twentieth century, ran them through rigorous statistical analysis, and threw in some good old-fas ...more
Published April 17th 2000 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Baseball Dynasties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baseball Dynasties

Rick
Oct 22, 2007 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: baseball
Neyer and Epstein attempt, what many before have tried, to uncover the greatest baseball team of all time. Previous baseball scholars usually concentrated on one season while these authors chose to take a three year range of each team in the book (hence the title). Importantly they developed a system to measure teams of different eras. As many serious fans know, the style of play from early in this century is vastly different from today’s game.

Before I get further into my review, I must caution.
internat librarian
This is one of my favorite “find something to flip through for lunch” books. I’ve always like Rob Neyer’s approach to sabermetrics and baseball. Great topic, and there are a lot of fun sidebars to support the main approach to each dynasty team. I also like the fact that Neyer and Epstein took the time to compare their strongest dynasties against each other.

I’m not so big on the Standard Deviation method as the best way to determine whether one team is better than another, but it’s a very clear
Matt
Apr 24, 2010 Matt rated it it was ok
This book is great if you are baseball history fan or a statistician. If you are not one of those two things then this book is probably not for you. I love baseball and I love the "greatest x" books but this was not something I could read.
Greg Fanoe
Feb 28, 2012 Greg Fanoe rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference, baseball
Fits into that very blah middle ground of being interesting on neither a technical nor a narrative level, since the methodology is very simplistic and the quality of writing is just so-so. Still, it's fun to randomly flip through.
Tom
Feb 19, 2011 Tom rated it it was amazing
Great book, especially for baseball and stats geeks like myself. Wish there were fewer Yankees teams included and some Pirates teams had been added to mix. Regardless, would strongly recommend to any fan of baseball history
James
Jan 09, 2008 James rated it liked it
Baseball history buffs rejoice. This book is replete with stats and anecdotes and commentary and all sorts of whatnot about the greatest teams the majors ever produced.
Mokieblylk
Mar 18, 2011 Mokieblylk rated it really liked it
Very interesting, recommended for baseball fans of course. Can be a little hard to understand the way they figure stats.
Ron Kaplan
Jun 22, 2010 Ron Kaplan rated it liked it
teams,history
James Milford
James Milford marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Tom Pickles
Tom Pickles rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Jason Danahy
Jason Danahy marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Seb Oñate
Seb Oñate rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Jay Silverman
Jay Silverman rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Walter
Walter rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Mike Warwick
Mike Warwick marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Bob Brooks
Bob Brooks rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Mickey Scott
Mickey Scott rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Jcogz43
Jcogz43 marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Michael Weidenbaum
Michael Weidenbaum rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Matt Mitchell
Matt Mitchell marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Ridley Kemp
Ridley Kemp rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Zach
Zach rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2015
David Boroff
David Boroff rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015