Start by marking “In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life” as Want to Read:
In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life

In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  607 ratings  ·  54 reviews
In fifty short chapters arranged in six sections, Dr. Ferguson shows that Christ, who is fully God, took on humanity that He might be the Great High Priest of His people as well as the once-for-all sacrifice; that He now ministers to His people through His Spirit, crowning them with great and precious blessings; and that believers are called to duty, from cultivating conte ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Reformation Trust Publishing

To ask other readers questions about In Christ Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Christ Alone

Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John PiperThe Cross of Christ by John R.W. StottThe Passion of Jesus Christ by John PiperThe Jesus I Never Knew by Philip YanceyThe Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones
Books About Jesus
34th out of 147 books — 74 voters
Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Pursuit of God by A.W. TozerKnowing God by J.I. PackerDesiring God by John PiperDon't Waste Your Life by John Piper
Best Books on the Gospel
49th out of 119 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Joseph Louthan
This is what I did not like about the book:the chapters rarely had anything to do with the previously chapter. That was a bit disconcerting to me until I read (back of the book or what have you) that this was a collection of series of articles for Tabletalk magazine. To which I remarked, "OOOOOhhhhhh."

Now I know the source, I can give this book a very favorable review.

Given the layout of the chapters, this book reads more like a devotion than anything else. I am not a huge fan of devotions becau
This book is classic Ferguson, from what I know of him. It's like having a series of eloquent yet to-the-point pastoral conversations with a master of Scriptural exposition. His writing engages both mind and heart so well.

I enjoyed Parts I and II ("The Word Became Flesh," on who Christ is, and "The Heart of the Matter," on what Christ does) the most. No particular nitpicks of the later sections, which focus on living the Christian life; they were just more hit-or-miss for me, after highlighting
Brent Kelly
Anything By Ferguson is worth one's time reading. Lucid and engaging in his theology Ferguson cuts through the 'Evanjellyfish' theology that plagues much of American Christianity to the doctrinal essentials. I read it as a type of devotional because I found that I kept pausing to consider what Ferguson said and its implications. It is not for the theologically narrow, or for those whose religious preference is vague and self-centered. Put it on your nightstand and experience an enjoyable read.
Mark A Powell
Ferguson’s latest is a collection of 50 brief chapters that explore the person and work of Jesus Christ. Topics range from discipleship to spiritual warfare to the nature of Christ's deity and humanity. Each is handled with a combination of scholarship and brevity, serving as a ladder to let you slowly immerse yourself in deeper waters. A helpful, much-needed book that aims to keep our life and teaching centered on the good news of Jesus Christ.
Jeni Enjaian
I'm finding it difficult to review the last few books I've read, all devotional type Christian non-fiction books. My main complaint is that many of these lack the depth that I crave from every book I have the opportunity to read. I realize that not all books can dive deep into theology and serious issues. I just need to find the meaty ones that I can really sink my teeth into.
I thought at first that this book might come close. The early chapters certainly hinted at that. However, the later chapt
Nathan
A great read on the wonder of Christ and the gospel. This book would serve well as devotional material, especially as the length of each chapter is short. Despite the brevity of each chapter, they are full and weighty.
Hobart
There's not a lot of in-depth theology here, you won't come away from this with a deep understanding of any one subject, or a few related ones. This is a compilation of fifty articles, grouped together by topic, which will enable you to gain a refresher on a spectrum of topics, or an introduction to ideas, concepts and texts that you want to come back to and study in the future. As such, it's a really strong compilation and one that I'm glad I spent an afternoon with.

Don't get me wrong -- it's n
Peter Uren
This is not a book to read if you think you know everything there is to know about Jesus Christ and him crucified. It's also not the book to read if you don't want to change your life, or allow God's Holy Spirit to change you.
This is a terrific book, easy to read in bite sized chunks. I highly recommend it to Christians who want to be more Christ-like, and for non-Christians who want to know what Christianity is all about.
Michael Locklear
"In Christ Alone" is a collection of 50 articles that appeared in two periodicals, "Eternity Magazine" and Tabletalk."
I enjoyed this book - some articles more than others - and I would encourage you to take the time (not long at all) to read through and ponder the various truths that are presented.
Of the 50 articles, these stand out the most:
Santa Christ (chapter 2),
The Word of God (chapter 3),
The Humanity of Christ (chapter 4),
Christ of the Three Appearings (chapter 9),
Yesterday, T
Madisson
In Christ alone my hope is found.

Such an encouraging book! In a very concise manner, Sinclair Ferguson writes about the person and work of Jesus Christ, helping believers gain a better understanding of Him and showing how to live out the Christian faith everyday.
Alex Dwyer
Dr. Ferguson is genuine, personal, and practical in his writing. He helped me to see the book of Hebrews with new eyes, but most importantly, he helped me to love my Savior anew. This book, even with it's disjointed chapters, is a must-read for those wanting to know their Savior more intimately.
Emelia
Reminder of God's grace...

Very encouraging. Good read. Challenging. Deep. Taken in bites and mould over it makes you think deeper about you being in Christ. Devotional.

Debi Walter
This book offers short devotionals to read through at your own pace. I found the first half of the book good, but the second half excellent. This had nothing to do with the quality of the material or the ability of Mr. Ferguson to write well, but everything to do with where the Holy Spirit was speaking to me through it. I was challenged, convicted and encouraged in my walk with Christ by reading this book. I can see it becoming a regular read and gleaning different Truths based on what I'm curre ...more
Janice
Sinclair Ferguson is quite a wordsmith. I love his sermons and sat under him at First Pres in Columbia for 2 years. I haven't read all his books but quite a few and this is my favorite so far. The chapters are short and yet so full of wisdom. He explains many Reformed beliefs in a very readable and beautiful way. I know a family with high schoolers who used this for family devotions and loved it and the discussions that it launched.
Sheri Ingersoll
This book is broken down into small chapters that serve well as a daily devotional. I especially enjoyed this book because its focus is exclusively Jesus Christ. As Christ is pushed on the sidelines in these modern times while the church explores felt needs, life's purpose, mysticism, contemplative prayer, and so on, it is refreshing to be reaquainted with the Object of our faith. This is an excellent book!
David Smith
Definitely one of the finest books I've ever read on living the Gospel. It's deep, yet very readable and accessible. Dr. Ferguson is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. I would note that if you are not a Calvinist, you might have some issues with his theological stance, but I would encourage the reader to investigate this closely. He makes that issue almost a non-issue.

Great reading!
Jo
Good reminder of many of the basic Christian doctrines we need to be grounded in. There are fifty chapters, most of them not more than 4 pages long, so it was easy to sit down and read a chapter in very little time. I especially liked the fifth section, "A life of wisdom". Some of his thoughts on contentment, the tongue, and Christian liberty really hit home.
Phillip
This was my second reading. This book is good for meditation. Ferguson looks at familiar passages in the Bible and invites you to look at them perhaps in a way different from what you are used to or to take a deeper look into something you feel you know quite well. I found his words encouraging at times and challenging at others. I highly recommend it.
Austin Mcgrath
This book had a lot of great content in it, but it took me awhile to get used to. Instead of your average book progressing in a chapter on the same subject this book was a collection of Ferguson's articles/blogs. this still was a solid read.
BJ
Good book by Sinclair Ferguson. It is not just a book on life-cross-resurrection, atonement themes of Jesus but also much on the Christian life. Yet...isn't that too say it is a book on the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I do think there are better books on such themes, but one can never go wrong with pastor Ferguson.
Vaughn
This is a devotional book, with chapters ranging from 3 to 7 pages. It’s firmly biblical, doctrinal, and accessible to both new and more mature Christians. Similar in nature to some of John Piper’s books, the basic thesis for the book is that Christ Himself is the impetus for daily Christian living.
Mark Clements
Very encouraging read. 50 short chapters pointing to some aspect of Christ's ministry, character, etc. This book would make an interesting daily devotional supplement. Ferguson is easy to read and definitely takes a pastoral perspective as he writes.
Warren
The content is great. I just found myself having a hard time having it all fit coherently under one title. I would describe it more as a book filled with short essays than anything else. That's ok, but not really what I expected going into it.
Todd Wilhelm
I read the book in spite of the endorsement by C.J. Mahaney and I found it to be rich material. It is one of those books that you could re-read several times as it is full of much useful information on living out our Christian walk.
Kevin
Its a pretty good book for the most part. Some of the chapters are a bit on the short side, and I don't exactly agree with the Reformed theological perspective assumed throughout the text, but its not a bad read.
John Yelverton
The author makes several wonderful points about making sure that the reader's life and responses are Christ centered, but the reading is very dry and often takes a lot of effort to get through it.
Frances
A wonderful and eminently practical collection of articles by Sinclair Ferguson that have appeared in Tabletalk over the course of several years. Absolutely fantastic, and I highly recommend it!
Ike
The chapters in this book are short enough to read daily as a devotional, yet packed with enough depth and insight to keep you busy for years. As always, Ferguson delivers.
Tim Sheppard
Ferguson brings out some weighty thoughts and truths from the Scripture. I highly recommend this one. Read one chapter a day as a devotional. You won't be disappointed.
Jeff
Reviewed here:
I love Sinclair Ferguson and want to get more of his books.
Jeff
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • Can I Know God's Will? (Crucial Questions, #4)
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • Welcome to a Reformed Church: A Guide for Pilgrims
Dr. Sinclair Ferguson (born 1948) is a Scottish theologian known in Reformed Christian circles for his teaching, writing, and editorial work. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Aberdeen and has been an minister in the Church of Scotland since 1971. He has served as an editor with the Banner of Truth Trust and worked as a minister at St George's-Tron Church, Glasgow.

Ferguson currently was
More about Sinclair B. Ferguson...
The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6) The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me Children of the Living God Sermon on the Mount

“Failure to deal with the presence of sin can often be traced back to spiritual amnesia – forgetting our new, true, real identity. As a believer, I am someone who has been delivered from the dominion of sin and who therefore is free and motivated to fight against the remnants of sin in my heart. You must know, rest in, think through, and act upon your new identity – you are in Christ” 11 likes
“Such contentment is never the result of the momentary decision of the will. It cannot be produced merely by having a well-ordered and thought-through time- and life-management plan calculated to guard us against unexpected twists of divine providence. No, true contentment means embracing the Lord's will in every aspect of His providence simply because it is His providence. It involves what we are in our very being, not just what we do and can accomplish.” 1 likes