Why Choose This Book?: How We Make Decisions

Why Choose This Book?: How We Make Decisions

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  9 reviews
To the list of writers connecting mainstream readers and cutting-edge science�Malcolm Gladwell, Steven Johnson, James Surowiecki�add Read Montague, with this exploration of what exactly determines the choices we make.

With a new perspective on the science of decision-making from the researcher at the center of the computational neuroscience revolution, Why Choose This Boo...more
Published November 2nd 2006 by Dutton Adult (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Why Choose This Book?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Choose This Book?

Cristina
This is an excellent introduction to computational neuroscience and provides a great overview of how decisions are made by the brain. I found it widely accessible and would be a good read for anyone interested in learning more about how we choose and about the highly relevant and emerging field of computational neuroscience.
John
For a technical view of how we arrive at a choice among many decisions (even those we're are consciously aware of making) this is fairly quick read. The ideas aren't new but they are presented in a mostly accessible manner. Those who generally don't like or want to read about science, math, logic, social psych - steer clear. It probably won't interest you. If books like The Tipping Point and Blink interst you, you may like this book as well though Montague delves more deeply into technical langu...more
Adih Respati
Because our brain works slowly (one million time slower than computer), it saves much much more heat and energy thus lives longer --and we live longer, too. Consistent with this effieciency principle, most of our decisiong-making is done automatically, without energy-consuming consciousness.

Some disorder may happen: addiction (reward-predicting brain module is deceiving decision making); parkinson (reward-predicting brain module is going static thus making no decicion making).

I enjoy the jokes,...more
Angie
Mar 01, 2012 Angie added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I've tried to get into this book twice now, and it just doesn't work for me. I want to argue with him on almost every page, starting with page one and his anecdote about the Enigma cipher machine. I feel as if I OUGHT to like it---it is a subject of interest to me and has blurbs by two of my favorite author-scientists, Steve Pinker and Antonio Damasio.
So I give up.I will not rate it because I only read slightly less than half.
Nathan
This is a tough book to read. It's a bit wordy, and circles around taking time to get to the point. At only fifty pages into it, I'm considering not finishing it.

And I stopped reading it (September 2007)
Trey Shiver
Oct 18, 2010 Trey Shiver marked it as to-read
I started reading this a few years ago and never finished it, but I'm going to give it another shot. I'll update this review when I've got more to say.
James Blatter
Just sorta serface looks at some important concepts, good for the common reader interested or the beginging student
Jeffrey
1. Rabbits should try to incorporate uncertainty in their darting strategies.
George
Jul 23, 2010 George added it
Recommended by Dr. Chris Perricone. Seems interesting so far.
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Nobody
Nobody marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
V
V marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Bonnie Tesch
Bonnie Tesch marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Stuart
Stuart marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Your Brain Is (Almost) Perfect: How We Make Decisions Miksi valita tämä kirja? Miten teemme päätöksiä