Start by marking “Leaves of Grass: The Deathbed Edition” as Want to Read:
Leaves of Grass: The Deathbed Edition

Leaves of Grass: The Deathbed Edition

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  57,590 ratings  ·  1,524 reviews
Whitman is today regarded as America's Homer or Dante, and his work the touchstone for literary originality in the New World. In Leaves of Grass, he abandoned the rules of traditional poetry - breaking the standard metred line, discarding the obligatory rhyming scheme, and using the vernacular. Emily Dickinson condemned his sexual and physiological allusions as `disgracefu ...more
Published March 1st 1992 by Book-of-the-Month Club (first published 1855)

Steve Sckenda
Walt Whitman is my prophet of love and optimism. His words, his attitude, and his exemplary life have summoned me to deeper humanity. Did you know that Whitman spent all his free time and money upon the wounded and the dying soldiers in army hospitals during the American Civil War? “I am faithful, I do not give out.” He brought them candy and nuts and good cheer. He held their maimed limbs, played games with them, and wrote letters home for them.

He whispered comfort in the ears of the dying. Wh
Whitman used to right fake reviews under false names for Leaves of Grass and send them to publishers, newspapers, and periodicals. I love that about him. So over the top. He had love for everything. Especially himself. As for the quality of the work the words speak for themselves:
"This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not co
بــدريــه  الـبـرازي

إليك ..

أيها الغريب
حين تمرّ بي ، وتريد أن تحدثني
لمَ لا تحدّثني ؟
ولمَ لا أحدّثك ؟

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

والت ويتمان شاعرًا أرضيًا ، لا تملك قصيدته أحيانًا غير أسماء
الأماكن و المدن وظواهر الطبيعة. وحتى اهتمامه بالأجرام
السماوية ليس غير تأكيد لقوانينه الأرضية :

" إن ورقة العشب ليست أقل حركة من النجوم "

حياة والت ويتمان أشبه بخلاصة للحياة التي عاشها من قبله
وسيعيشها من بعده، ولد العام 1819 في لونغ آيلاند، لم تدم
دراسته طويلًا، إذ سرعان ما نراه يلتحق بالعم
Alright, my rating here is very misleading. I haven't read Leaves Of Grass. I don't even intend to read Leaves Of Grass. Not all the way through any way. It seems sort of weird to just read a big fat collection of poetry all the way through. The five star rating is for one poem, "Song of the Open Road".

I've never really appreciated poetry. I've liked song lyrics and that's poetry, but it seemed like I needed a tune to go with it. I've liked scripture which can be pretty poetic, but it seemed I n
Ben Wilson
Mar 24, 2008 Ben Wilson rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: democrats, republicans, flag-shitters
Recommended to Ben by: President Clinton gave this as a present to Monica Lewinsky
Shelves: neverfinished
Leaves of Grass is like reading every single instant message that I and a friend of mine ever wrote to one another over the course of the last ten years. Likely way too long, too self-serving and would have shocked the general public if they cared to read it when it was written. But nestled in there are some real, true brilliant moments.

This is after all Whitman's life work, laid bare and un-edited for the most part. What else are we to expect? He is literally singing a song of himself, which he
Araz Goran

شريد الطرقات وغريب الأطوار ،ملحن الكلمات ،الماشي بين السفوح والوديان ، المقاتل ، المتطرف الغائب ،الحاضر ، قديس الروح وعربيد الجسد، المتفائل، الرفيق والسائح، الفلاح، المغامر، المنطلق نحو حياة لا حدود لها وأفق فسيح يتمدد أمامه كرحلة أبدية تنتهي من حيث تبدأ وتبدأ من حيث ينتهي، في أعماق الطبيعة وجنون الحياة وبين أجساد الفقراء والبائسين والقتال والمقاتلين ،البحر والصيادين ..

هناك حيث يسكن والت ويتمان...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

أنا شاعر الجسد، وأنا شاعر الروح
هناءات الجنة معي، وعذابات ال
Holy shit this is self-important and tedious.

--update: This has sat untouched on my desk all year. I can think of a hundred books I'd rather start than finish this, so I doubt I'll pick it back up unless I run out of books to read, I'm too poor to buy any more books, all my friends turn on me and refuse to loan me anything else, and all the nearby libraries are set on fire simultaneously.
It is becoming increasingly trendy to chalk up success to practice and hard work. We have the famous 10,000 hours from Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers, and a similar theme from Joshua Foer’s Moonwalking with Einstein, just to name two examples. But it seems to me that some people were just born to do what they did, that no amount of practice could ever have produced something so fresh, original, new, and revolutionary.

Take Montaigne. He invented a new genre (the essay), pioneered a free and easy pro
There's only so much rhetoric on American imperialism I can ingest and assimilate at a stretch. Later, Mr Whitman.

(paused at 47%)

القراءة الأولي لـ والت وايتمان
الشاعر الأمريكي الشهير
الهادئ .. الراقي .. البسيط إلي حد التعقيد !!

هل تعرف ذلك الإحساس حين تصبح سعادتك الكبري في الاستلقاء علي العشب الأخضر والعالم يمر من فوقك لا تعبأ به ولا يعبأ بك ؟

هل تعرف ذلك الإحساس حين تكون سعادتك في أن تتحدث مع ذاتك عن ذاتك .. وعن الآخرين بمنتهي الصدق .. فلا تعبأ بصورتك في المرآة كيف كانت ؟ ولا كيف نظروا إليك ؟ ولا كيف سيحكمون عليك في يوم ما ؟

هل تعرف ذلك الإحساس حين تتحدث إليهم بكل صدق
وتقول : هذا أنا ! فلا تتعبوا أنفسكم في تغييري .. أنا أحب نف
Lauren Schumacher
When Leaves of Grass was first published, critics applauded Whitman "only that he did not burn" the "mass of stupid filth" immediately upon completion. They primarily objected to its sensual and occasionally (rather overtly) homoerotic content. Nowadays, of course, it seems entirely too mild to raise an objection on those grounds, but man, oh man, I understand the impulse to want to turn this book into kindling.

It's less like THIS...

...and more like THIS.

This weighty poetic tome has all the we
Ben Winch
A child said, What is the grass? fetching it to me with full hands;
How could I answer the child?.... I do not know what it is any more than he.

I guess it must be the flag of my disposition, out of hopeful green stuff woven.

Or I guess it is the handkerchief of the Lord,
A scented gift and remembrancer designedly dropped,
Bearing the owner's name someway in the corners, that we may see and remark, and say Whose?

I'm no expert on Walt Whitman, and given that this poem ('Song of Myself') has been celeb
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Did you know that the letters in "Leaves of Grass" can be rearranged to spell "Asses of Gravel"?
If you find yourself anagramming the letters in the title rather than reading the poetry, it's a good sign you're not into the book. But I really wanted some of whatever Whitman was smoking that made him so ecstatically, ebulliently enthusiastic about every molecule on the planet. Including his own b.o.

"The scent of these arm-pits aroma finer than prayer."

Huh??? Was this guy sniffing glue along wit
Jul 30, 2007 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Literary rapture. I don't know how else I could describe my first experience reading Leaves of Grass. It was pure literary rapture.

I highly recommend Leaves of Grass to everyone - especially those who still believe, or want to believe, in the basic goodness of the American Experiment.

Pick up the slim first edition (Whitman revised and expanded Leaves of Grass throughout his life. The final product, which is what is most often seen on bookshelves, is a bloated, redundant beast.

Read the whole t
Ahmed Oraby
ويتمان شاعر داعر، عبقري، لطيف، حييّ، محب للكون والطبيعة والوجود
عاشق للمتع والحياة واللذائد
شعره داعر، ومفضوح. وإباحي أحيانا
كلماته صريحة جريئة، ونداءاته تنبض بالحياة
ديوان جميل وعبقري، وترجمة سعدي يوسف أحيته
Bryan  Jones
"Song of Myself" is a work of pure genius comparable to Shakespeare's greatest. I love these last three stanzas especially. When my wife and I were dating long distance and when I was deployed, I would end alot of my letters with "I stop somewhere waiting for you."

I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love.
If you want me again look for me under your bootsoles.
You will hardly know who I am or what I mean,

But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
And filter and fibre your blo
The 5-star rating is for the cream of this collection, those superb monuments of world literature such as Song of Myself, Body Electric, The Sun-Down Poem, Blue Ontario's Shores, As I Ebb'd with the Ocean of Life, Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking, When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd, The Sleepers, Fancies at Navesink, and a double-armful of the shorter lyrics.

Whitman's B-Sides, about 70% of this chunky 1892 "death bed edition," rarely come up to snuff, and despite a virtuoso flourish her
Philip Cartwright
First the pros:

Whitman's free verse is years ahead of its time. I kept having to remind myself that he published this work in 1855. Wordsworth had only been dead for five years, Tennyson and Browning were at the height of their powers and Longfellow was still churning them out. Whitman was an important moderniser.

His verse has tremendous energy. It crackles off the page and I was often swept giddily along by the blizzard of words. Plus, there are some truly striking images to be found. At its be
Todo empezó con Whitman. Yo empecé con Whitman. Él es el culpable de que hoy sea como soy, de que esté aquí y de que vaya por el camino que voy. Una vez me dijeron que si existía un verso escrito para mí, ese era: "No dejes de creer que las palabras y las poesías sí pueden cambiar el mundo". Me dijeron que no lo olvidara nunca. Que no perdiera esa esencia que me hacía creer en la literatura. Me djeron que si lo hacía, dejaría de ser yo. Quizá es muy "El club de los poetas muertos" pero desde ent ...more
Yes, I did read this because John Green told me to in Paper Towns. If I didn't have cooler people advising me what to read/watch/listen to, I'd never do anything at all.

In any case, I was pleasantly surprised at how I wanted to continue reading once I finished Song of Myself, considering that it's the only Whitman poem I was familiar with (since it's the one that's quoted in both Paper Towns and The Dead Poets Society. I liked most of the poems, although Whitman is a fan of listing things. Over
In 1860, when the United States was on the brink of civil war, Walt Whitman produced a book of poems that he hoped would provide a roadmap for preserving the Union. It was “Leaves of Grass,” the third edition.

Reading Whitman is always an exhilarating experience but when reading from this facsimile edition put out by the University of Iowa Press, there’s a touch of something else – a sense of history. The introduction by antebellum historian and Whitman scholar Jason Stacy does an excellent job o
Peter Landau
This is what I thought the Bible would be like before I read the Bible: overflowing with characters and stories, all told at a sprint, with a shout and such good will that a sour sport as myself could hardly relate. Maximist, generous to a fault, a word-drunk prophet -- the god of this bible is Walt Whitman, and he could care a whit if you find that absurd or egotistical. I haven't felt the rush, pull and command of an energetic poetry like this outside of "Follow the Leader" by Eric B. and Raki ...more
D.R. Haney
Nov 03, 2012 D.R. Haney is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm determined to read Leaves of Grass in its formidable entirety, including the annexes of the so-called death-bed edition, convinced, without a shadow of a doubt, that my time is far better invested in Leaves of Grass than it would be in reading, for instance, Infinite Jest, which inspires support groups offering spiritual bread and water to those willing to accompany DWF on his Pynchonesque pilgrimage through a grad-school amusement park. What I've read already of Whitman, including "I Sing t ...more
منار هانى

فافتتح أعشاب أشعارك واقرأ في الوليمة:
"أغني لامرئ واحد، بسيط ومتوحد
بكلمة وإن ت
Carey Azzara
Read it. Struggle through it. Contemplate the quality of his words. You will forever be changed.
Sahil Sood
Life granted Whitman- oh wait! Whitman granted himself a moment of transcendence and he chose to spend it writing poetry. This is one man's grand act of delusion- a celebration of self; an ego trip of a scandalous scope. Yet, it is full of fire, zest and cheery optimism to remember for life.
Whitman's poetry is reminiscent of the lost thrills and joys of self-gratification. If anything, this could be my guide to experiencing a literary orgasm- and countless at that! But wait, the poem is not onl
Lindsay Russo
I always thought it was too spacey for me... His language is so wide open and goes everywhere. But to sit and read it from cover to cover in one sitting was enlightening. Not that I didn't see Whitman in other authors before, but I see so many layers of him now. So well worth the time. I almost wish I had read it aloud.
Po Po
This has instantly earned a spot in my top five favorite books. [It seems that most read this in high school; I did not. But I'm glad I didn't-- I'm unsure whether I would've fully appreciated it.]

This is the celebration of humanity, the world and everything in it, and immortality. It's inspirational like no other book I've ever read. This book *spoke* to me. It whispered, it cajoled, it caressed, it embraced me wholly and completely and unreservedly. If a book can be music, this is it. It sang
To quote Robert Louis Stevenson:
…like a large shaggy dog just unchained scouring the beaches of the world and baying at the moon.
But let's look at the positive side. Monica Lewinsky gave a copy to Bill Clinton as a present.
finally taking this book off the shelf to read 3 35 Jun 27, 2013 07:26PM
  • The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches
  • Complete Poems
  • Neon Vernacular: New and Selected Poems
  • View With a Grain of Sand: Selected Poems
Walter Whitman was an American poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist. He was a part of the transition between Transcendentalism and realism, incorporating both views in his works. Whitman is among the most influential poets in the American canon, often called the father of free verse.

Born on Long Island, Whitman worked as a journalist, a teacher, a government clerk, and a volunteer nurse during
More about Walt Whitman...

“Resist much, obey little.” 4715 likes
“Not I, nor anyone else can travel that road for you.
You must travel it by yourself.
It is not far. It is within reach.
Perhaps you have been on it since you were born, and did not know.
Perhaps it is everywhere - on water and land.”