The Coming Collapse of China

The Coming Collapse of China

2.8 of 5 stars 2.80  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  6 reviews
China is hot. The world sees a glorious future for this sleeping giant, three times larger than the United States, predicting it will blossom into the world's biggest economy by 2010. According to Chang, however, a Chinese-American lawyer and China specialist, the People's Republic is a paper dragon. Peer beneath the veneer of modernization since Mao's death, and the sympt...more
Published July 31st 2001 by Random House (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Coming Collapse of China, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming Collapse of China

Valerie Yoh
I'm only at about page 100 of this book. There's some good information in here, but it's bit too dry for me. It's also highly biased. I was hoping for more objective writing, but it's just dripping with the author's feelings of China's 'impending doom'.

I may get back to this book later just to finish it, but not because I'm that interested. It's time for me to move on to my next book club selection and other books that I'll enjoy more...

Charles Blumberg
280 pages that can be summed up as centralized gov't planning is not efficient, corrupt, and stifles innovation. Presently, the gov't can control the people but eventually too many people will challenge it and there will be too many for the gov't to prevent it.
Matt
"Another nearly ten-year old book that attempted to prognosticate China's future at the turn of the new millenium. Looking at China today in 2009 it seems this author might be a bit off. But what kind of cracks in the façade lurk beneath the surface?"
Dax
I hated this book. Unless you like arguments like "a Muslim in Xinjiang doesn't like all the pork in Chinese food, therefore China is bound to collapse," you're not gonna get anything out of this book.
Helovitz
I did not finish this book. It got to technical for me. ALsoit predicted the collapse of China in 10 years and was written in 2001 so guess it was wrong.
Az
Apr 29, 2009 Az marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
(recommended by professor)
Amar Baines
Amar Baines marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Andrea
Andrea added it
May 12, 2014
Muratib Fatah
Muratib Fatah marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
James
James added it
Jan 11, 2014
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Hossam Elansary
Hossam Elansary marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Krystal Leonardo
Krystal Leonardo marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Nan
Nan marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nuclear Showdown: North Korea Takes On the World Elaine Mary Lewis & the Frog's National Security Policy Proceedings: Spring 2010