Start by marking “Transforming Our Days: Spirituality, Community and Liturgy in a Technological Culture” as Want to Read:

In answer to the persistence of technology, Giallardetz calls for a contemporary Christian spirituality marked by the search for God in our daily engagements and an asceticism that cultivates the paschal rhythms of life and death. These are cultivated, say Gaillardetz, by the distinctive practices of the Christian community, especially the celebrations of the liturgy.
Published April 25th 2000 by Crossroad Publishing Company (first published April 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Transforming Our Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transforming Our Days

Madison
Dec 09, 2016 Madison rated it really liked it
Didn't understand some of the Catholic terminology, but really, really loved the sections on needing a new "mystagogy" and a new "asceticism" in an age of grace-as-Sunday-infusion and the avoidance of suffering. Best quote was on hyper-reality from a Micheal Creighton novel:

“Sometimes I look around my living room, and the most real thing in the room is the television. It’s bright and vivid, and the rest of my life looks drab. So I turn the damn thing off. That does it every time. Get my life bac
Alyssa-Rae Hug
Mar 17, 2013 Alyssa-Rae Hug rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While Gaillardetz concludes his argument about communal spirituality within the Church sufficiently, I am not convinced. My major critique of his entire argument is that he begins from a position assuming that his reader is not only Roman Catholic, but believes in the exact same interpretations of Christianity as he does. Any Roman Catholic will tell you that it is a religion that can be analyzed and practically applied to one’s life in any number of ways, and the fact that Gaillardetz does not ...more
Joe Zeniewicz
Sep 10, 2014 Joe Zeniewicz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with the author that technology is completely rue shaping our lives but find I am not nearly as pessimistic about it as he is. Perhaps that is because I've recently retired from a career in IT and have been involved my whole life in what technology can do for us. But it may also be that in retirement I tend to avoid technology as much as possible because dealing with it is too much like being back at work. Either way I found the book to be an interesting read.
Chelsea Neubecker
This was required reading for a course I'm taking, The Catholic Experience (Catholic Studies minor capstone). I thoroughly enjoyed it and was surprised that I liked it so much. Gaillardetz writes in a style that relates to any reader, and his points touch home.
Mairead
Mairead rated it liked it
May 07, 2015
Lucia
Lucia rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2011
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2012
David Yonke
David Yonke rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Kyle P
Kyle P rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Matteo
Matteo rated it liked it
May 02, 2014
Landon Short
Landon Short rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Simone
Simone rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Mike Warner
Mike Warner rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2011
Mike Warner
Mike Warner rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2015
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2010
Carl C.
Carl C. rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Catarina
Catarina rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Roger P. Gaillardetz
Roger P. Gaillardetz rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Tim
Tim added it
Apr 20, 2011
Ricardo
Ricardo is currently reading it
May 05, 2012
Dan Smith
Dan Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2013
Major Rettig
Major Rettig marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2013
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Marlena
Marlena marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Laird
Laird marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2016