Start by marking “The Humiliation of the Word” as Want to Read:
The Humiliation of the Word

The Humiliation of the Word

Argues that visual reality has overcome verbal truth, examines the biblical distinction between truth and reality, and considers the impact of the visual on artists and intellectuals."
Published March 1st 2001 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Humiliation of the Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Humiliation of the Word

Alex Stroshine
May 14, 2016 Alex Stroshine rated it it was ok
Shelves: sociocultural
If I could actually understand this book, I'm sure I would give it more than 2/5. I think I am very sympathetic to Ellul's points (I certainly am to Neil Postman in 'Amusing Ourselves to Death,' which has many similarities to this book) but I find Ellul a bit too dense to fathom. Maybe if he used images and pictures to illustrate his thought I would understand it better ;). One thing he carefully elaborates on is that there is often a division between reality and truth; our culture, obsessed ...more
Martin Pujdak
Feb 22, 2016 Martin Pujdak rated it it was amazing
In "The Humiliation of the Word", Jacques Ellul contrasts Truth and Reality.

The dichotomy between word and image and between truth and reality is a temporary effect of the Fall, and contrary to God’s ultimate purpose for humankind. In the Incarnation and the consummation of God’s Kingdom, word and image are reconciled.

The world refuses to accept that God chooses to reveal Himself through His Word.

Quotes from the book:

"The text is progressively retreating everywhere. A simple examination of tex
Matthew
Jun 02, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it
This book is Ellul's critique against the contemporary preoccupation with symbols, images, graphic displays, etc. and the tendency to reduce discursive knowledge into some kind of visual format. His critique is that contemporary culture degrades and humiliates words and language. His analysis of the problem is essentially from a sociological and theological perspective. In essence, his thesis states, "the situation of the word in our society is deplorable" (155). In his analysis, Ellul employs ...more
A.J. Jr.
Jan 20, 2016 A.J. Jr. rated it it was amazing
This is a thought provoking book. Ellul is one of the greatest intellects of the twentieth century and it's no surprise that this book is not light reading. I'd previously read his "Technological Society" and "Propaganda", both of which are not easy reads. I bought the book because I'd heard it referenced by Neil Postman in an old interview and I knew it would be a difficult and thought provoking read. I was right about that. It's not the sort of book I couldn't put down... it's the sort of book ...more
Becky
Aug 10, 2011 Becky rated it it was amazing
Jaques Ellul makes us think about why ( and why we allow ) images dominate our lives. Probably one of my top 5 all time favorite books.

"People reduce what can only belong to the order of the word (which of necessity they are responsible) to the order of sight (where they reign as masters)" (89).

"Our ultimate desire is to bring everything to sight, even when it is a matter of internalized sight. We need an image in order to grab hold of something" (95).

"... and the woman saw that the tree was goo
Ruberad
Aug 12, 2009 Ruberad rated it it was amazing
Ellul has an inimitable style and a knack for asserting his ideas "with authority", not like the scribes of other books.

The entire Prolegomena (Ch 1) is previewable on Google Books.
J.S.  Kitololo
Sep 17, 2015 J.S. Kitololo rated it it was amazing
I liked this book. Especially when Ellul turns to the eschatological function of visions and apocalypses, and the reconciliation of word and image at the end of the age, and temporarily in the incarnation. His insights into Witness related to sight, and faith related to sight were also high points for me.
The whole thing is worth a read IMO
Josh O'Shea
Feb 05, 2016 Josh O'Shea rated it liked it
He's a bad historian and poor biblical studies authority, but his theology is clean and cry against his a-intellectual culture's reliance on image over speech intensifies for today.
Jeremy Spainhour
Jeremy Spainhour rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Zugaii
Zugaii rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Vanya Slantcheva
Vanya Slantcheva rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Eldred
Eldred rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Levi Jones
Levi Jones rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Josiah Sutton
Josiah Sutton rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Andre
Andre rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Stacey Douglas
Stacey Douglas rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Farzaneh Doosti
Farzaneh Doosti rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Deb Owens
Deb Owens marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2008
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Dave Wainscott
Dave Wainscott rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2012
Alan Vandermyden
Alan Vandermyden rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Jeanne Persuit
Jeanne Persuit rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2007
Jonathan Platter
Jonathan Platter rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Benjamin Tillman Russell
Benjamin Tillman Russell rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2010
Bryce
Bryce rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
May 13, 2015
Rika Diephouse
Rika Diephouse rated it did not like it
May 30, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2013
Sterling Carroll
Sterling Carroll rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2007
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience: Why Are Christians Living Just Like the Rest of the World?
  • To Live in Peace: Biblical Faith and the Changing Inner City
  • The Genius of Language: Fifteen Writers Reflect on Their Mother Tongue
  • Essays Presented to Charles Williams
  • Cultural Intelligence: Improving Your CQ to Engage Our Multicultural World
  • Plowing in Hope: Toward a Biblical Theology of Culture
  • Frames of War: When Is Life Grievable?
  • Christianity and Culture: The Idea of a Christian Society and Notes Towards the Definition of Culture
  • Understanding Dispensationalists
  • Revelations of a Single Woman: Loving the Life I Didn't Expect
  • The University in Ruins
  • Power Evangelism
Baptised Catholic, Ellul became an atheist and Marxist at 19, and a Christian of the Reformed Church at 22. During his Marxist days, he was a member of the French Communist Party. During World War II, he fought with the French Underground against the Nazi occupation of France.

Educated at the Universities of Bordeaux and Paris, he taught Sociology and the History of Law at the Universities of Strau
More about Jacques Ellul...