The Subversion of Christianity

The Subversion of Christianity

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Pointing to the many contradictions between the Bible and the practice of the church, Jacques Ellul asserts that what we today call Christianity is actually far removed from the revelation of God.

Successive generations have reinterpreted Scripture and modeled it after their own cultures, thus moving society further from the truth of the original gospel. The church also pe

Published March 1st 2001 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Subversion of Christianity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Subversion of Christianity

Bart Breen
Recognizing where Christianity has been Subverted carries the seeds of how it will be Reclaimed

Rarely have I taken as long to read a book as I have in working through this one. The content demanded reading, re-reading and pauses to consider what was being said. Make no mistake, this is a book that requires careful and attentive reading to hear what it is saying as well as to discern what it is not saying.

Jacques Ellul was a prolific writer in his native French and more of his works are being tra...more
Jeffrey
Ellul's radical thesis in this book: Christianity has been perverted from its original essence. The formalistic organizations of the Church; the affirmation of the various social status quo within the Protestant Ethics; the substitution of revelation for easy to understand images (e.g. Father, Son, Baby...), and more--all these pervert the purpose, and indeed, the true meaning of Christianity.

Ellul brought a powerful mind to a challengingly acerbic theological thesis. In more than a few parts,...more
James
Like Barth and Brunner before him, Jacques Ellul makes a distinction between the true faith and a institutionalized, world-encrusted religion. In "The Subversion of Christianity," Ellul condemns the Christian religion as a faith subverted by the world. He decries the triumph of philosophy. Theologians readily begin with the biblical witness or revelation but then quickly leave it behind. In a desire to reach the truth, they develop moral codes, philosophical systems, and metaphysical constructs....more
Eric_W
We read this book in our reading club several years ago. Ellul was a French philosopher who argues that in the 4th century the alliance of Christianity with the power of the state under Constantine essentially changed the very nature of Christianity and encouraged the development of authoritarian thinking as the church now had the power of the state to enforce orthodoxy.
Michael Camp
A must read for every Christian. Jacques Ellul cuts to the chase in exposing the many misguided practices and beliefs of the church throughout history. The true message of the gospel has been perverted and Ellul will help you see the original meaning with new eyes.
Bob
Although I give this book 3 (maybe 4 stars) it is not for everyone. The author intent is to show how the church throughout history has consistently been led away from truly living out the gospel -- whether by outside forces or by the weight of its own success.

He is very careful about the charges that he makes against Christianity. His arguments are subtle, & Ellul is quick to acknowledge the hyperbole of those who criticize the faith from the outside. Nonetheless, he often finds a kernel of...more
James R. C.  Baker
Those who enjoy the focus on order and unity in Luc, Ferry, The Wisdom of the Myths; Michael J. Harner, Cave and Cosmos will gain from this book by Ellul.

From the beginnings of the Christianity through modern day, the theological, political, economic, and military history is "the result of a primordial obsession with unity: the reduction of the diversity of the world to the one." Jacques Ellul sees our God as one of beginnings and revelation, not organization and institution: eppur si muove (ye...more
Collin
Jun 06, 2009 Collin rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: scriptural/historical/career academics only
Dense. It's a fascinating topic, but reading this book is like eating a sleeve of saltine crackers without anything to drink. It's taking me quite a while to read because I can only stand a couple of pages at a time.

--update: I skimmed the penultimate chapter, skipped the last chapter altogether, and threw it away. I don't like the way the author writes PLUS I don't trust the translation (it was originally written in French), I don't like how self-absorbed the author is (only his interpretation...more
Andrew
I like Ellul and he's a competent and lucid debater. I think many of his arguments in this book fall into the same traps that plague just about every debate over the "real meaning" of Christianity. For Ellul, he takes passages and says "look what it clearly says here!" and at other times "this is what it says but the Holy Spirit/sense says we should actually understand it as saying..." Toward the end I was thinking the title is more apt as "The Subversion of the Reformation."
Sara
Sometimes a bit hard to read because he rather likes tangents and doesn't follow all the "correct" writing forms. Some things I didn't fully agree with and/or was confused by, but in general I really appreciated all that he had to say. I will need to do some digesting and mulling for a while. I stimulated on of the best discussions we've had at book club!
Psykeactiv1
I hated this book with a passion because of its spot on accuracy, however this book is geared to apologetics and skeptics who have doubts on philosophical grounds. Jaques Ellul approaches Christianity from radical but skeptical points of view that represent many in and outside the body of Christ.
Jordan
So far, this is my favorite book by Ellul. It (very) loosely reads like "A People's History of Christianity," pointing out the ways that lies have crept into the Church over 2,000 years. The sections about women (specifically in the chapter on Moralism) are fantastic. Please read it.
Kevin
I highly recommend this book. It needs to be read slowly, but is really perspective changing. The only reason that I do not give it 5 stars, is because it falls apart a little bit at the end. A definite must read for anyone interested in Theology....
Paco
Incredible and awesome. Makes your life really difficult to live afterwards though. Shows in Ellul's usual clear and sometimes hilarious style how far off course Christianity has gotten.
Scott
That what I (as an Western, Conservative, American, Californian) think of and practice as "Christianity" is very possibly a shallow and subverted version of what Jesus taught.
Michael Beverly
Note: I'm an atheist, but read this prior to that, it's one of those books that most Christians won't read, and of those that do, very few will follow the advise found on there.
Aaron
This may be the most influential book I've read to date. It started a shift in my thinking that has changed the way I think and live on many different levels.
Michael S
Aug 23, 2007 Michael S rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Thoughtful, challenging and fascinating, the best book on Christianity that I have ever read.
Raleigh
Jaques Ellul is my favorite author on spirituality and politics
Hartman Out
Livre qui a changé ma vie et ma foi.
John Weathers
John Weathers marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Carl-johan Enström
Carl-johan Enström marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
brokentapedeck
brokentapedeck marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Gonzo
Gonzo marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Mark Ó Congalaig
Mark Ó Congalaig marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
  • Allah: A Christian Response
  • Matthew (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible)
  • Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way
  • Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire
  • The Economy of Desire: Christianity and Capitalism in a Postmodern World
  • Body Politics: Five Practices of the Christian Community Before the Watching World
  • Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire
  • Habits of the Heart: Individualism and Commitment in American Life
  • A Community Called Atonement
  • If the Church Were Christian
  • Who's Afraid of Postmodernism?: Taking Derrida, Lyotard, and Foucault to Church (The Church and Postmodern Culture)
  • Souls in Transition: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults
  • Theology for Community of God
  • Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohammed Cross the Road?: Christian Identity in a Multi-Faith World
  • The Civil War as a Theological Crisis
  • The Myth of a Christian Religion: Losing Your Religion for the Beauty of a Revolution
  • Did Someone Say Totalitarianism?: 5 Interventions in the (Mis)Use of a Notion
  • To Change the World: The Irony, Tragedy, and Possibility of Christianity in the Late Modern World
Baptised Catholic, Ellul became an atheist and Marxist at 19, and a Christian of the Reformed Church at 22. During his Marxist days, he was a member of the French Communist Party. During World War II, he fought with the French Underground against the Nazi occupation of France.

Educated at the Universities of Bordeaux and Paris, he taught Sociology and the History of Law at the Universities of Strau...more
More about Jacques Ellul...
Propaganda: The Formation of Men's Attitudes The Technological Society Anarchy and Christianity The Presence of the Kingdom The Meaning of the City