Start by marking “The Golden Mountain: Beyond the American Dream” as Want to Read:
The Golden Mountain: Beyond the American Dream

The Golden Mountain: Beyond the American Dream

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Its a gripping tale of four generations of Chinese women who live and die under the restrictions of their culture. Read the story of the author growing up in Hong Kong and New York where she struggled to meld the American Dream with her ethnic background. She finally understands the true nature of dreams and what it means to live.
Published October 1st 2003 by Silver Light Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Mountain

Okay, I admit it, I picked this up thinking it was a novel, not a memoir, or however it's classified. It was dry, lacked details or description, and just failed to get my interest. I literally forced myself to finish.

Kai tells us her great-great, great, grand and mother's stories beginning in Hong Kong, leading, eventually to her life in America, or The Golden Mountain as it's called. She's unflinchingly honest. There is a shock right at the very beginning, told in very droll, dry tones that ne
Okay so this book was very interesting however toward the end it got kind of nasty. The stories of the authors ancestors were the best part of the book however once she started talking about her own life sex, drugs, incest and infidelity came up more often. So not for the feint of heart.
Jan 03, 2014 Yndrei rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Yndrei by: Zim
One of the most profound story I've read. One particular thing that I liked in this book is that it does not just narrate a story of an individual but also lets the readers have even just a glance of the culture of a Chinese family in general.
Linda Palmer
Irene Kai became a dear friend following my 40th reunion gathering when I met her in the company of one of my best High School pals. I bought a copy of her book and it sat on the shelf for a year before I broke it open for a read.

Twenty pages later, I was devouring it like a feast after famine.

Kai chronicles, in a fascinating and personal way, five generations of Chinese women trying to adapt themselves to a culture spanning thousands of years of tradition and unwritten rules. The experience o
Linda Appelbaum
The first part of the book is almost boring and seems like a newscaster relating details more than a story or an autobiography. There is no character development and the story line skips vast time frames, one paragraph moving from the birth of a child to being a teenager in just a few sentences. This happens too frequently. Somewhere after the middle of the book the author begins telling her own story. That is more interesting, but how one could remember such details and even survive such a nast ...more
Jan Marquart
I met Irene Kai at her booksigning over a decade ago in California. She was graceful, sweet, intense, powerful and engaging. She was brutally honest about what is was like to be an Asian woman who arrived in LA where the values about women are beyond different. Golden Mountain will take you to China to live among the women in her family, their values, their culture and their dreams for their daughters. Golden Mountain is a delightful, powerful and educational read. It made me count my blessings, ...more
Crystal Sprague
Oct 24, 2007 Crystal Sprague rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: readem
Well I didnt realize till after I read it that it is true! Life even a hundred years ago in China was extremely different and the way they think is astonishing! It follows a family tree from great grandmother to present day with the author and its a trip with all the shit each women went through. Just try to remember each ones different experiences, my memory was bad so I had to go back and re read stuff to remember which person certain things happened to. But honestly I couldnt put it down, I t ...more
Found this book at the library by chance. I love it when that happens. I loved the writing style of telling the story from one person's perspective and then by a relative's perspective and so on. It really makes you see how inaccurate it can be to make assumptions about others. This book emphasizes the value of girls and women in China, and therefore can be very sad at times. Really held my interest.
What I specifically like about this is it is a story about Chinese generations with no sentimentality whatsoever. Many of the Chinese fiction books I read have a LOT of sentimentality, and I don't mind that, but I like how this book did NOT. But it was full of love and family, and seemed very realistic.
J. Allen
This book grabbed me right out the gate and did not let go ! Anyone who wants to read REAL feelings and make a spiritual connection with the author ought not to miss this wonderful read. Gender is no barrier for the connect if your honest with your feelings.
Nanci Robertson
When I first started listening to this audio book, I thought it was fiction. Then I discovered - to my joy - that it is a memoir! Irene Kai is a unique individual, with a tough, but unique, and ultimately successful path in live. Very well done.
Mrs Mac McKenzie
A story of 5 generations of Chinese women and as they struggle to find their identities and marks in the world over decades. An interesting perspective and insight into Chinese social history. It was a simply written story.
It was just ok for me.
It was a very pretty depiction of twentieth-century China. The first few chapters were good but it trailed off in the end.
Nov 27, 2007 Janine rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ppl who like generational stories
at the beginning, i didn't like it. The writing is really basic and uninteresting. The story line and setup gives it some interest though.
Oct 04, 2007 Flora rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: victims
Talk about depressing. More power to the author for surviving. It was clearly a tough life. I could have gone without reading about it.
Oops! This was the book I actually read.
I really enjoyed this book.
Rem marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Kent Mok
Kent Mok marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Connie So
Connie So marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Ezelwood marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Golden Mountain What Do You See? The Golden Mountain: Beyond the American Dream What Do You See? Level a The Golden Mountain: Beyond the American Dream