Start by marking “Left To Die (To Die, #1)” as Want to Read:
Left To Die (To Die, #1)

Left To Die (To Die #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  7,861 Ratings  ·  458 Reviews
Nothing's More Terrifying. . .

One by one, the victims are carefully captured, toyed with, then subjected to a slow and agonizing death. Piece by piece, his exquisite plan takes shape. The police can't yet see the beauty in his work--but soon, very soon, they will. . .

Than Being Left Alone. . .

In the lonely woods around Grizzly Point, Montana, four bodies have been discov

Published August 1st 2008 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Left To Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Left To Die

Aug 20, 2008 Ayla rated it did not like it
Ugh. This book was so incredibly dumb, I couldn't believe I actually spent $5 for it. It dragged on and on. Although the book is about a serial killer, the book doesn't really probe into the killer's mind or really explore his motives. The reader is left clueless (of course, you are encouraged to buy another book to find out what the heck is really going on).
All in all, I really did NOT like this book. It seemed like one long prologue.
This was my first Lisa Jackson book and I really enjoyed it. It was fast moving, had a good plot and I connected with the characters. What I found most frightening is that a nut job, serial killer is walking among the public and no one is the wiser. There are actually two different stories going on surrounding the brutal killings and parts of the story are told from inside the mind of the killer. A little romance mixed with suspense is always fun and in this case dangerous. At the end of the boo ...more
Sep 04, 2008 Carey rated it liked it
Amidst an unusually bad Montana winter, a serial killer is at work near the town of Grizzly Falls. The killer "rescues" his female victims when their cars careen off of a mountain road. Most of them don't realize that their accident was caused by the killer shooting their tires out. He then carries them off to a remote cabin in the mountains and wins their trust by tending to their wounds and lulling them into trusting him. Weeks later he will leave each victim tied, naked, to a tree, to die fro ...more
Aug 31, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it
Chilling and Terrifiying!

A serial killer is in Grizzly Falls, Montana, shooting the tires of vehicles containing one lone occupant, a woman, his latest victim. He brings them to his ‘hide-out’, lets them recuperate somewhat, makes them dependant on him to the point of ‘wanting’ him. He takes them out, completely naked in the middle of winter, ties them to trees and leaves them there to die of exposure, leaving behind a star carved into the trees above their heads and a cryptic note using the ini
May 04, 2016 Obsidian rated it really liked it
Please note that I gave this book 3.5 stars but rounded it up to 4 stars on Goodreads.

So here's the thing. When one is on a boat for 9 days and realize that the Kindle/Nook gods have forsaken you and you realize that your boat has a library (oh yeah baby) you grab a book that looks interesting. I finished and started this book all on the same day and really enjoyed it, though I had some problems with having a third lead (really not necessary and also confusing) the pacing, and also with the clif
Aug 26, 2008 Tammy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lisa Jackson Fans..Maybe
I'm normally a pretty big fan of Lisa Jackson but I have to say her last two books,this one and Lost Souls did not thrill me. The idea for this book is great but it really goes nowhere. Yes one mystery is solved but it leaves the main story of the book unresolved,supposedly to be finished in Chosen To Die which doesn't come out for a year. Basically this book is nothing more than an almost 500 page build up to that book. Overall it was ok but definately not one of her best.
Aug 17, 2008 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Okay, but not too exciting. I was annoyed because it didn't solve all the mysteries. It left a major part to be solved in the next book. I don't like books like that. Fortunately, the book was not that gripping, so I don't mind if I don't find out the answer.
Aug 09, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
Really liked this book - the downfall - it's a cliff hanger!!!

Very large cast of characters and at first seemed overwhelming, but Ms. Jackson knows how to make a story flow.

Some red herrings cast in your way and I was a bit confused until the story really began to unfold. So how many serial killers are there lurking in the mountains? You'll have to read the book and figure it out for yourself. :)

Some romance with a bit of apprehension, all-in-all a good book and introduction for me to Lisa Jacks
Wendy Hines
Jun 19, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it really liked it
The woman's body is found lashed to a tree, naked, and frozen to death. The calling card for this scene is the same, yet different as the others. The letters carved into the tree above the victim are the same as the others but with the addition of this victims initials added. The star is still carved into the cold bark, but at a slightly different location. Her wrecked car has also been discovered, the tire shot out and all identifying items removed from the vehicle. The killer has struck again. ...more
May 14, 2013 Kerri rated it did not like it
Shelves: police-profiling
I couldn't get into this book. The idea was good, just not well executed. The guy who sees aliens, to the psychotic killer who cusses like a sailor and the detective who seems to not be able to keep her pants on. I wish this was a free book, but I actually paid $1.00 for this. Ewe.
Feb 17, 2013 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a powerful book. This was my first Lisa Jackson book but definitely won't be the last. The book ended kind of abruptly though leaving me with a lot of questions.
Aug 24, 2016 Christelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un premier tome vraiment réussi qui donne envie de lire la suite de la série.
Je me suis lancée avec beaucoup d'enthousiasme dans cette nouvelle série écrite par Lisa Jackson et je n'ai pas été déçue.
Pour changer de la précédente série "Nouvelle-Orléans", on se retrouve ici avec un duo de policiers féminin, aux caractères diamétralement opposés, deux héroïnes réalistes et attachantes avec leurs qualités et leurs défauts mais aussi leur situation de famille imparfaite.
On les suit toutes les deux d
Nov 23, 2015 Dindy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Okay, this book ticked me off. I did not appreciate having it end on a cliff hanger. I do not have the next book in my possession and will have to look for it. I strongly resent such manipulation by the author and was tempted to rate the book lower because of it.

But I did like it, for the most part, till I realized that it was not going to be resolved until the sequel. Although once I reached the so-called end, I found that the story involving Jillian Rivers was maybe just a little too hard to b
After reading previous reviews I had my doubts about this book but I'm a big fan of LJ, so I had to give this book the benefit of the doubt. Yes, one of the biggest plots of the book is not tied up in the end...however, the main plot is as it revolves around Jillian. That's the way series books are...something has to be left dangling so the reader will want to buy the following book(s). However, had I read this when it first came out I would most definitely have been put off by having to wait a ...more
Oct 18, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Detectives Selena Alvarez and Regan Pescoli work in a small town where nothing seems to go wrong, apparently. That's all about to change as there is a serial killer on the loose in the woods around Grizzly Falls.

Deep in the winter wilderness of Montana, one by one, the killer sets up car accidents for women driving alone down secluded ice covered roads. Then he rescues them, cuts them out of their cars, treats their wounds and convinces them he's going to rescue them. He is diabolical in his tr
Apr 08, 2013 Terri rated it really liked it
In rural Montana, a serial killer is leaving women nude, tied to tries in the winter so they die of exposure. But it gets worse: Apparently he is shooting their tires, causing them to be in accidents, 'rescuing" and helping them before he kills them. And he is leaving a mysterious message with carvings and each scene building up to something the police have yet to figure out.

Now, Jillian Rivers, has been in an accident after someone shot her tire out - she is injured and in an isolated cabin wit
Danielle Gonzalez
Sep 15, 2015 Danielle Gonzalez rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read from this author and it wasn't bad. The story revolves around a serial killer in a small Montana town. After causing women to crash their cars, he nurses them back to health, gaining their trust, then proceeds to tie them to a tree to die from exposure. This also includes the side stories of the two main detectives working the case, as well as a victim. It ends up that there are multiple things happening involving these deaths, and as is usual with this type of b ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
Nov 10, 2011 Alex is The Romance Fox rated it really liked it
We are introduced to a pair of female detectives, Selena Alvarez with some dark secrets and Regan Pescoli, a divorced mother of two teenagers who give her endless grief.
Set in the cold winter weather of the desolate mountains of Montana, a serial killer is setting up car accidents for women driving in secluded roads and leaving them to die tied up to trees.
Jillian Rivers narrowly manages to escape the killer when she is rescued by Zane McGregor, a mysterious loner and she feels a growing attra
Two-haiku review:

Serial killer
Kidnaps women, leaves to freeze
Female cops seek him

Major cliffhanger
Excellent, complicated
But end pissed me off

Would have given it 5 stars, except for the damn cliffie. I hate cliffhanger endings in books!
May 31, 2015 Jacqueline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gelesen

Klappentext: (Quelle Knaur)

Winter in Montana. Ein Psychopath fesselt seine weiblichen Opfer an einen Baum, um sie bei eisiger Kälte erfrieren zu lassen. Seine Nachricht an die Polizei: die Initialen der Toten und ein Stern. Es fehlen noch Buchstaben, um die Botschaft zu entschlüsseln. Als Detective Regan Pescoli verschwindet, ist deren Kollegin Selena Alvarez in höchster Alarmbereitschaft. Immer noch ist der "Unglücks-stern-Mörder" nicht gefasst und nun vermutet sie ihre Partnerin in den Fängen
Jenny Mount
Apr 10, 2015 Jenny Mount rated it liked it
I almost stopped reading this several times. After reading Fatal Burn, I'd decided not waste my time or money on another Lisa Jackson. However, the synopsis intriqued me. Unfortunately, the novel is bogged down by unnecessary details and forced plot detail. Why would Jillian leave in the middle of a snow storm to go see one ex-husband, which she didn't get along with, about another ex who'd obviously abandoned her? And then, after she wrecked, that selective amnesia thing was too much.

Not enough
Bev Taylor
Jan 22, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it
weird but compelling novel

someone is luring girls along certain road in winter where is waiting with a rifle to shoot out their tyre.

there follows an accident from which he rescues them and then nurses them back to life. h/e after approx one week he strips them and leaves them tied to tree to die in the cold. there he leaves a star marked into the tree and a piece of parer with letters on it - the initials of that victim who is he and why?

then a copycat killer springs into action

this is lef
Sandy Vaughan
They said: "In Left to Die, the Pinewood County Sheriff 's Department is on the trail of a cold-blooded killer who acts as a savior to women stranded during terrible mountain snowstorms before stripping them of their dignity and leaving them to die, a victim of the elements. But the killer's latest victim managed to escape, leading some to believe there may now be an imposter on the loose."

One vicious murderer.

Two vicious murderers.

One conclusion.

One trailer into the next book in the series.

Linda Lou McCall
What could have made this a 4 or 5-star listening experience for you?
If I hadn't wasted almost 15 hours for NO conclusion!

What could Lisa Jackson have done to make this a more enjoyable book for you?
She could have wrapped this plot line up in THIS book, not force readers to waste another 15 hours listening to the next book in this series "Chosen To Die". By hour 5, I "Wanted To Die"!!!

How could the performance have been better?
Other listeners seemed to hate narrator Alan Nebelthau's fast pace.
Jun 04, 2014 Audel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ce roman est le premier tome d'une série suivant les enquêtes de Selena Alvarez et de Regan Pescoli travaillant pour le shérif de Grizzli falls.

Dans ce premier tome un tueur en série sévit dans la montagne profitant du climat froid et neigeux pour faire ces victimes. En effet, il les laisse mourir nues attachées à un arbre. or, avec les tempêtes et la neige, il est très difficile pour nos deux enquêtrices d'avancer dans leur enquêtes.D'autant que le tueur ne laisse rien au hasard et semble très
First of all what a way to end a book.

The characters in this book were interesting because depending on the view point that you were reading changes wither you liked them or not. It was interesting that there were actually two cases in this novel rather than one, nice little plot twist. I do have to make this comment that the Detective's children are selfish brats and I didn't care for them one bit. But other than that the book was good.
Ken Schloman
Apr 23, 2015 Ken Schloman rated it liked it
This is the first book by this author that I have read. I have a tendency to like thrillers by female writers because they tend to develop characters better than their male counterparts. In this regard, the author does not disappoint. Really there are two story lines that appear to intersect before splitting off in different directions. One mystery is solved while leaving the other for the follow up novel, "Chosen to Die". In this regard, the novel leaves me a bit disappointed, yet it does make ...more

An exciting read, twists and turns, plenty of suspense. Interesting characters. Evocative winter/blizzard setting. I recommend it. I have 2 minor caveats that certainly won't stop me from reading the rest of the series.

I did not enjoy the way character narration is handled. There is no break in the print or marker to tell when you change characters. At first it was interesting for it all to run together, since it required guessing who was up. After a while, it was irritating. It didn't add to
Mar 15, 2014 Melody rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-tbr
This was the first book by Lisa Jackson that I've read and I really enjoyed it. It had me hooked from the very first page I read and didn't let go till the very end, although In felt like there were some parts in the book that dragged for me, but overall a very good read.I can't wait till read the rest of the series and see what happens.
Sep 01, 2014 Rhian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I was tempted to rate this 3 but now that I know there are 2 more books to follow it gets a solid 4 I love a book set in winter or stormy weather so this was perfect for me, loved how creepy it was at the start but wish the tension lasted longer, overall I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading the next one ...more
What is the best Lisa Jackson book? Are they Romantic Suspense or what? 14 72 May 21, 2014 07:55AM
  • Silent Killer (Griffin Powell, #10)
  • Forgotten
  • Fear No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #3)
  • Last Known Victim (Stacy Killian, #3; The Malones, #4)
  • Dead Before Dark
  • Twisted

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver. She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a nationa

More about Lisa Jackson...

To Die (7 books)
  • Chosen To Die (To Die, #2)
  • Born To Die (To Die, #3)
  • Afraid To Die (To Die #4)
  • Ready to Die (To Die, #5)
  • Deserves To Die (To Die, #6)
  • Expecting to Die (To Die, #7)

“think” 0 likes