Start by marking “7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain” as Want to Read:
7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain

7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The phenomenon known as the McKenzie Method has helped millions of people with chronic back and neck pain. In 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life, its founder, world-renowned physical therapist Robin McKenzie, shares the innovative program that can save you from a life of pain. 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life combines and enhances McKenzie's back and neck books that have sold more tha ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by Plume (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life

karen
heres hoping...
Dolly
May 14, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people experiencing lower back, sciatic or neck pain
I have a herniated disc in the lower part of my spine and I recently suffered from a bout of lower back pain followed by intense sciatica running down my left leg. After about seven weeks of rest, medications and most of all, physical therapy, I was able to resume normal activity. I have been pain free for a several weeks now.

My doctor recommended that I read Treat Your Own Back, but I found this book at my library instead. Before I read it, my physical therapist gave me a copy of Treat Your Ow
Gary
May 15, 2012 Gary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody, especially people with back/neck pain.
Shelves: health
This book contains good, useful information. It is helping me with neck & back pain. It is not well written, though. Rather boring & repetitious. A lot of extra words which appear to have been written in simply to increase the word count. If the author removes all the repetition and useless additional words this book could be cut down to one third the length it is without losing anything useful.

It is still worth reading just to extract the useful information. It just requires a little wi
Danny M
Nov 22, 2011 Danny M rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in Medical, Holistic, and Self Help readers.
Recommended to Danny by: A friend who is a Doctor.
I was involved in a major car accident about 10 years ago and was told that in time I would eventfully need a back operation. As of this review I have been laid up for about 7 months, being only able to walk about 2 blocks before having to sit down. The pain in my back and right leg is 24/7. Pain medication and a Chiropractor did not help or reduce the pain. I have seen my personal doctor and a different chiropractor with no relief. About a week ago I was at the local gym having trouble bending ...more
Shelley
Having lived in New Zealand for 33 years and visited multiple chiropractors and several physios for my chronic back pain, I was intrigued to discover this McKenzie technique which is invented by a New Zealander and supposedly world-famous. I found it interesting that I'd never heard of it before as I thought my ear was fairly close to the ground on alternative body techniques (having tried everything from Feldenkrais to the Alexander Technique).

McKenzie makes a good case for the need to maintain
Susannduncan
If you have back and/or neck issues, this is the book for you! I had 16 months of pain day and night in my back and 4 months of whip lash pain after a car accident. After doing the stretches for just 3 days the pain went away!!!
Robert Foege
This is a fruity title, but not a fruity book. The idea is that poor posture over time causes ligaments to stretch and discs to bulge, which produces pain. Practicing good posture and performing therapeutic postural exercises can prevent and reverse pain. The whole system is based on a ridiculous mishap in which a patient was inadvertently left on table with his back in extension. While his mechanical explanation for the etiology of back pain may not hold water, he is right on about the importan ...more
Jeffrey Covey
After developing arthritis in my neck last Summer and spending a few months doing the exercises I was shown in physical therapy with only slight improvements, I started casting around for other options early this year. Robin McKenzie's books consistently landed at the top of my searches, so I ordered a copy of "7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life" and dug into it while my father was away for two weeks and I was able to stay out of the car and devote myself to recuperating.

It's an odd Frankenbook, appare
Gerald Kinro
This fuses two wonderful books earlier authored by Mckenzie: “Treat Your Own Back” and “Treat Your Own Neck.” It is well-illustrated. There has been some revision and better copy editing and the result is a larger book that could be the encyclopedia of pain associated with the human spine. It presents the same information, excellent information, I might add. Better? Not.

For me, bigger is not better. The original books were smaller and, combined, total about 100 pages. This one adds up to over 2
Mario Streger
This book was really a good finding. I started to apply the posture and other exercises right away and felt myself much better. It's a short and quick to read book, with illustration of all exercises and postures.
Julie
I am Reading this based on a rave of a friend who swears it cured her back pain after a terrible car accident. The language is very basic, the messages are repetitive (but for adult learners that's a good approach), and there are lots of success stories interspersed to keep you motivated. I don't much like the idea of using different support rolls at home, in the car and at the office (because it makes me look old and they're ugly), but so far the exercises and posture reminders are practical an ...more
Diane
I've been following the advice of this book for a month now. In 2 days my major spasms & sciatic pain were relieved. Pleased to discover the exercises were pretty much what I was already doing in my gentle yoga routine. Unfortunately a dull pain continues to exist. I think this is because the book focuses mostly on back issues from poor posture. My problem is more related to muscle strain from running. Still made for a good read.
Heather
Jun 23, 2009 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who have lower back pain and/or neck pain
Recommended to Heather by: my dad
The writing was pretty redundant and every case study had the annoying style of a blaring advertisement, but the exercises really work. Get this book and you too can be pain-free!
Kay
With SI Joint alignment issue...this book is helpful. Yes, as one post mentioned,the writings, instructions are quite redundant, but all good, clear information.
Angela
Recommended by my rheumatologist. Very simple and effective. I'd like to buy a used copy and to also get the companion book on healing shoulder issues.
Janey2197
If you have lower back problems, these stretches help a lot. Just don't over do it at first. BABY STEPS
Joan
This is the method being followed by my therapists, without any real results at this point.
Anne
Fin og meget pædagogisk bog m øvelser.

Miraculous! Really works!
فرفووشه الروح
ithink this book will benefit me
Royale
Ok, but a bit basic...
Anthony
Very informative on ways to relieve pain.
Josh
May 08, 2012 Josh added it
Shelves: 2012
review TBD
Kathryn Thomas
Kathryn Thomas marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Dec 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Eye Candy: 50 Easy Makeup Looks for Glam Lids and Luscious Lashes
  • The Doctor's Book of Home Remedies: Thousands of Tips and Techniques Anyone Can Use to Heal Everyday Health Problems
  • Barefoot Running Step by Step: Barefoot Ken Bob, The Guru of Shoeless Running, Shares His Personal Technique
  • Making a Good Brain Great: The Amen Clinic Program for Achieving and Sustaining Optimal Mental Performance
  • The Relaxation Response
  • Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide
  • When I Loved Myself Enough
  • Evernote for Dummies
  • Songs
  • Natural Beauty at Home, Revised Edition: More Than 250 Easy-to-Use Recipes for Body, Bath, and Hair
  • Verbal Advantage: Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary
  • Impeachable Offense (Left Behind Political #2)
  • Computers & Typesetting (Volume A: The TeXbook)
  • The Bisexual's Guide to the Universe: Quips, Tips, and Lists for Those Who Go Both Ways
  • Coffee is Good for You: From Vitamin C and Organic Foods to Low-Carb and Detox Diets, the Truth about Diet and Nutrition Claims
  • How to Spot a Dangerous Man Before You Get Involved: Describes 8 Types of Dangerous Men, Gives Defense Strategies and a Red Alert Checklist for Each, and
  • Asimov's Guide to Science
  • Networking with the Affluent
Treat Your Own Back Treat Your Own Neck Treat Your Own Shoulder The Lumbar Spine: Mechanical Diagnosis & Therapy Treat Your Own Knee