Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  9 reviews
John Clare was the great Romantic 'peasant poet' - the chronicler of nature and childhood, the champion of folkways in the face of enclosure and oppression, the love poet, the political satirist and solitary visionary, confined in his maturity to lunatic asylums.
Paperback
Published October 7th 2004 by Faber & Faber (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Jude Brigley
Have been reading Clare's poems throughout the year and reminding myself how much I like them.
'The girning winds bit sharp and thin
And made the early riser blow his nails,
and crizzling frost shot needles in the dyke
and crumpt beneath the feet down grassy vales.'

I love 'crizzling', 'crumpt' and 'girning'.
Brandon
I read this almost straight through as soon as I purchased it. This is the true country voice of the English Romantics...Wordsworth wished he could draw on the enormous rural knowledge that John Clare possessed. I can return to this time and time again.
Mar 26, 2014 Sarah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-must-to-read
I cant wait for this book, I am in love with John Clare and his deep relationship with nature, Ive knew him by coincidence from reading some poems in a classic poetry book.
Matilda
I am a huge fan of poetry and John Clare is by far one of my favourite poets. This book contains most of his best sonnets and poems and includes a small timeline of his life.
My only criticism is that it does not contain all of his poems however it was perfect for when I had a little spare time to pick up a poetry book and enjoying a poem or two.
Suzammah
There are only so many sonnets about different British birds I can appreciate. He had a great poem about a badger getting revenge on some nasty country folk though, that was fun. Of course, when he's being a thoroughly miserable bastard and writing about inner turmoil rather than a lesser spotted sparrow, he's one of the best.
John
What can you say if you like poetry you just have to love John Clare I particularly like the poems to Mary ( Romantic In me I guess ) When i first read this copy, the words I sleep with you I wake with you and yet you are not there, just kept going through my mind over and over.
Jake B
Collection of poems I studied for my AS English Lit, some poems are truly brilliant (I Am, To John Clare, some of the nature ones) however some are just plain boring. He needed an editor, for example 'The Parish' could be three pages shorter and much better.
Jenni
The most ignored of the romantics and ten times better than Wordsworth (gag).
Susan
Boring, inane and insipid. Couldn't wait to be done with this.
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Nihan Yildirim
Nihan Yildirim marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Brian Neumann
Brian Neumann marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
thomas
thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Sharon Jones
Sharon Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Nicholas Khan
Nicholas Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Tom Ashworth
Tom Ashworth marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Leila
Leila marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Darius Liddell
Darius Liddell marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Ktwall
Ktwall marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
  • The Complete Poems
  • W.B. Yeats (Everyman's Poetry)
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems (Wordsworth, William)
  • Complete Poems
  • Aurora Leigh and Other Poems
  • Poems of Christina Rossetti
  • The Nation's Favourite: Poems
  • War Music: An Account of Books 1-4 and 16-19 of Homer's Iliad
John Clare was an English poet, in his time commonly known as "the Northamptonshire Peasant Poet", born the son of a farm labourer at Helpston (which, at the time of his birth, was in the Soke of Peterborough, which itself was part of Northamptonshire) near Peterborough. His poetry underwent a major re-evaluation in the late 20th century and he is often now considered to be one of the most importa ...more
More about John Clare...
"I Am": The Selected Poetry of John Clare Major Works Selected Works (Oxford Authors) Careless Rambles by John Clare: A Selection of His Poems Chosen and Illustrated by Tom Pohrt The Prose Of John Clare