Start by marking “A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street” as Want to Read:
A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street

A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street (Ociee Nash #1)

3.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The only remaining female in the George Nash family, Ociee chooses to view herself as more brother than sister. Her favorite outfit is soft, worn dungarees and her brother Ben's old shirt that Mama made. Ociee's hair is a wispy web of curls and, dreadfully, it usually falls in her face when her self-tied ribbons slide down her back. Her gray eyes sparkle as she delights in ...more
Published July 31st 1999 by Mercer University Press (first published March 31st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street

LadyCalico
Feb 10, 2014 LadyCalico rated it did not like it
Wow, is this book bad! It establishes a whole new standard of boring. I thought it was short enough to read in a night, but it cost me almost a week of my reading life to force myself through this drivel, a few unbearable pages at a time. I kept pressing on, waiting for it to become interesting, but, alas. The author's sad attempt at dialogue isn't worth the proverbial plugged nickel--it is so forced and phony that you can't even begin to imagine real people holding such unnatural conversations. ...more
Melissa
Sep 06, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This book is suitable for readers of all ages. The dialog is to be expected for a story set in the late 19th century, in the south. It's a simple story about life, kindness, respect and love, as told by a main character who is only 10 years old. Ociee has a keen ability to empathize with just about everyone she meets, which makes her quite endearing.

It wasn't until I got to the end of the book that I realized that Ociee Nash was a real person and the author is her granddaughter. There was also a
Cheryl
Feb 25, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it
A nice uncomplicated read with likable characters and no earth-shattering complications (just what I needed after many of the recent books I've read and left feeling depressed). I look forward to enjoying the second book. Unfortunately, that's probably as far as I can go with the series, because I can't find a library in this country that has books #3, #4 and #5!
Gwynn
Dec 07, 2014 Gwynn rated it it was amazing
Great read fir children. Ociee had wonderful adventures.
Adele Clagett
Sep 04, 2010 Adele Clagett rated it it was ok
This was a cute little story. It was not fast paced and exciting, just a nice story about a period of time in the life of a young girl in the late 1800's. She was an exceptional young lady, very brave and polite. She had hardships in her family but did all she could to make the grownups in her life proud. I believe this is a series based on a real person, don't think I'll be reading the other books though.
Luckngrace
I began this book to support North Carolina authors. I really enjoyed the peaceful ambience created by old-timey values, horse-drawn carriages clopping along glorious mountain scenes, the cozy home of Aunt Mamie who papers each room with flowers. All this serves as background for the healing of a 10 year old girl's heart. This is the perfect book for reading by chapter to a child at bedtime.
Kathy
Sep 02, 2010 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
haha, you can tell this is a kindle freebie, lots of marked to read and bad comments to the ones that read it..........i'm giving it a shot!

This was a cute read, kind of like a Little House on the Prairie, nice to read these types of books every once in awhile.
Bonnie
Sep 17, 2012 Bonnie rated it liked it
After watching the wholesome movie upon which this book is based with my granddaughter, I decided to read the book and enjoyed it as a fast read. I recommend it as historical fiction with moderate adventure and basic life lessons for elementary readers.
Carla
Sep 26, 2010 Carla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sigh...well, there goes a few hours of my life that I won't get back. Sweet enough story I guess, but overall a mindless read that in few ways (ok, maybe no way) left me better off for having read it. Thrilled it was a free kindle download.
Dana
Jul 07, 2011 Dana rated it it was ok
i know this was based on a true story of her grandma when she was young, but it was a really slow read. i almost gave up on the book but stuck through. i felt like i was on the verge of something exciting to happen, but nothing ever did.
Kathi Olsen
Nov 23, 2011 Kathi Olsen rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a series that would probably be fun for girls about 10 years old. It is actually more of historical fiction as the stories are based on the life of the author's grandmother.
Katie
Oct 04, 2010 Katie rated it liked it
This is a book for older kids or teens, but if I were in that category, I'd think it was great. It was quite simplistic for an adult reader.
Michelle
Nov 18, 2010 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-kindle, kids
This would be a great story if I was 5. Must read free kindle descriptions better before downloading.
Susie
Oct 05, 2010 Susie marked it as to-read
for Annie to read
Kathy Taylor
Kathy Taylor rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Joyce Retherford
Joyce Retherford marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Lynn Demsky
Lynn Demsky marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Yoonjin Chi
Yoonjin Chi marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Jonathan Bloom
Jonathan Bloom marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Eril
Eril marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Katrina Weisner
Katrina Weisner marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Erika M
Erika M marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2016
Lucy Gloom
Lucy Gloom marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • The Static of the Spheres
  • Elvis Takes a Back Seat
  • Mourn The Living
  • From Dust and Ashes: A Story of Liberation (World War II Liberator #1)
  • Always Watching (The Rayne Tour, #1)
  • Sullivan's Evidence (Carolyn Sullivan, #3)
  • My Beautiful Disaster (The Pathway Collection, #2)
  • The Sari Shop Widow
  • One Hit Wonder
  • Once Around the Track (St. Dale, #2)
  • Falling Out of Fashion