The Bipolar Handbook: Real-Life Questions with Up-to-Date Answers

The Bipolar Handbook: Real-Life Questions with Up-to-Date Answers

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  17 reviews
For Dr. Wes Burgess, the diagnosis of bipolar disorder means hope-hope for the estimated ten million people who will develop the disorder during their lifetimes, and hope for the families and friends of people who suffer from it. Drawing upon the real questions asked by patients and families during his nearly twenty years as a bipolar specialist, The Bipolar Handbook compr...more
Published June 8th 2006 by Avery Trade

H.A.
Oct 30, 2009 H.A. rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: patients with bipolar disorder
Recommended to H.A. by: member of support group
This book wasn't a bad place to start learning about this disorder from the patient's point of view. It offered some good resources online and in the community as well, and was presented in a clear, easy to understand Q&A format that I'm sure would serve most newly diagnosed people well.

Most of the book, however, I skipped over. It seemed primarily focused on people who were very low functioning socially, to the point where it teaches a bipolar person how to make small talk. That might be gr...more
Melynda Yesenia
Question: What method do you suggest for falling asleep?
Burgess's answer: I suggest that you go to bed...

I like this guy. He gives some great suggestions for reading material and support websites, tackles the smoking weed and drinking wine questions head on, and talks about what he's actually used in practice with his patients. I trusted him to tell the truth.

It's not often I like these books, they've all kind of become routine, but I liked this one. He's clear and straightforward and I get th...more
Lauren
As an individual diagnosed with bipolar disorder who has a medical background, I found this book very informative for myself but even more so for my family as they were facing this disorder from a completely different vantage point from me. There were some aspects of the disorder that I was not aware of that were outlined by this book, which helped me understand a lot of he reasons for why I did some of the things I did in the past. This helped me come to terms with he disorder and forgive mysel...more
Ian Reynir
Thoroughly unimpressed. I dislike strictly coping based strategies in general, but in this book, readers are told that they are "ill" or somehow defective. This is simply not true. Marohn's book is far superior.

Some of the suggestions are helpful, but the anti-human overtones are hard to overlook. I felt deminished as a human after reading this book. This author clearly does not think much of bipolar individuals.
Ugonna
Interested to discover Jessie's Jackson's son was highlighted in media for this condition. As a psychology major interested in being a life-long learner and hopefully an entrepreneur with a life-coaching component, I found this book to be practically informative for the perspective of answers to questions posed from clients of the author.
Rhina M. Finley
Since I'm doing Research on this topic, and many other mental illness, I found this book insightful with a question/answer format. I was a caseworker for behavioral health and want to go back into the field to help others to manage their symtoms.
Kat Connors
A few years after my diagnosis, my parents finally got over their denial. (They are now VPs of their NAMI chapter, lol) This answered most of their questions in a way I couldn't indispensable for loved one and the newly diagnosed!
Rachael
This book was very straightforward and have clear answers to understanding this illness. I'm grateful I read it and highly recommend it to everyone I know. It gives answers and hope to those who struggle with this disorder.
Marie
Mar 24, 2009 Marie added it
"This book in question and answer format allows you to find the questions (and answers) that most relate to your situation. The resource section is comprehensive and includes book, online and organizational resources."
Jessietaylortanner
Okay- about half the book was unnecessary for me, as I an already make small talk. I don't know if I would call it a 'handbook', as it is all Q&A. Some helpful info.
Marsha
I liked the question and answer format and the focus on a holistic treatment approach. I respected the doctors approach to treatment.
Carrie Gunn
A very informative guide to those who are interested in learning more about Bipolar disorder and its treatments.
Bridgett
Useful questions and answers about bipolar disorder, though nothing especially new.
Katie Cook
I learned a lot about my illness and why my mind works the way it does.
Rochelle
Best book on Bi Polar I have ever read and that all I can say.
Kim
Very interesting, clear answers.
Kara Merry
May 08, 2008 Kara Merry rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Kara by: no one
Very helpful good book
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Heidi Lookabill
Heidi Lookabill marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Loonysku
Loonysku marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Ann Marie
Ann Marie marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Sarah Frasier
Sarah Frasier is currently reading it
Dec 01, 2013
Josh
Josh added it
Jul 07, 2013
Kitty
Kitty added it
Jun 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Depression Answer Book: Professional Answers to More Than 275 Critical Questions about Medication, Therapy, Support, and More Mental Status Examination: 52 Challenging Cases, DSM and ICD-10 Interviews, Questionnaires and Cognitive Tests for Diagnosis and Treatment The Ultimate Snorkeling Book Traditional Wisdom, Koans & Stories to Enlighten Everyone (The Clear Mind Series) Be Enlightened! a Guidebook to the Tao Te Ching and Taoist Meditation