Start by marking “The Bipolar Handbook: Real-Life Questions with Up-to-Date Answers” as Want to Read:
The Bipolar Handbook: Real-Life Questions with Up-to-Date Answers

The Bipolar Handbook: Real-Life Questions with Up-to-Date Answers

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
For Dr. Wes Burgess, the diagnosis of bipolar disorder means hope-hope for the estimated ten million people who will develop the disorder during their lifetimes, and hope for the families and friends of people who suffer from it. Drawing upon the real questions asked by patients and families during his nearly twenty years as a bipolar specialist, The Bipolar Handbook compr ...more
Published June 8th 2006 by Avery

To ask other readers questions about The Bipolar Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bipolar Handbook

H.A.
Oct 30, 2009 H.A. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: patients with bipolar disorder
Recommended to H.A. by: member of support group
This book wasn't a bad place to start learning about this disorder from the patient's point of view. It offered some good resources online and in the community as well, and was presented in a clear, easy to understand Q&A format that I'm sure would serve most newly diagnosed people well.

Most of the book, however, I skipped over. It seemed primarily focused on people who were very low functioning socially, to the point where it teaches a bipolar person how to make small talk. That might be gr
Em26
Aug 08, 2014 Em26 rated it it was amazing
I was recently diagnosed. I wanted to father educate myself on the topic. This book caught my eye at the bookstore. It was very informative it answered a lot of questions I had. It showed my how the diagnoses works, why you have the symptoms you have. I would recommend this book to others.
Melynda Yesenia
Feb 21, 2008 Melynda Yesenia rated it liked it
Shelves: medicos
Question: What method do you suggest for falling asleep?
Burgess's answer: I suggest that you go to bed...

I like this guy. He gives some great suggestions for reading material and support websites, tackles the smoking weed and drinking wine questions head on, and talks about what he's actually used in practice with his patients. I trusted him to tell the truth.

It's not often I like these books, they've all kind of become routine, but I liked this one. He's clear and straightforward and I get th
Lauren
Jun 19, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
As an individual diagnosed with bipolar disorder who has a medical background, I found this book very informative for myself but even more so for my family as they were facing this disorder from a completely different vantage point from me. There were some aspects of the disorder that I was not aware of that were outlined by this book, which helped me understand a lot of he reasons for why I did some of the things I did in the past. This helped me come to terms with he disorder and forgive mysel ...more
Heather Flanagan
Apr 17, 2015 Heather Flanagan rated it liked it
Written in a QA format, very informative
Ian Reynir
Nov 05, 2012 Ian Reynir rated it did not like it
Thoroughly unimpressed. I dislike strictly coping based strategies in general, but in this book, readers are told that they are "ill" or somehow defective. This is simply not true. Marohn's book is far superior.

Some of the suggestions are helpful, but the anti-human overtones are hard to overlook. I felt deminished as a human after reading this book. This author clearly does not think much of bipolar individuals.
Ugonna
Aug 27, 2012 Ugonna rated it really liked it
Interested to discover Jessie's Jackson's son was highlighted in media for this condition. As a psychology major interested in being a life-long learner and hopefully an entrepreneur with a life-coaching component, I found this book to be practically informative for the perspective of answers to questions posed from clients of the author.
Rhina M. Finley
Jan 08, 2012 Rhina M. Finley rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-work
Since I'm doing Research on this topic, and many other mental illness, I found this book insightful with a question/answer format. I was a caseworker for behavioral health and want to go back into the field to help others to manage their symtoms.
Kat Connors
Sep 20, 2012 Kat Connors rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic
A few years after my diagnosis, my parents finally got over their denial. (They are now VPs of their NAMI chapter, lol) This answered most of their questions in a way I couldn't indispensable for loved one and the newly diagnosed!
Rachael
Jul 25, 2012 Rachael rated it really liked it
This book was very straightforward and have clear answers to understanding this illness. I'm grateful I read it and highly recommend it to everyone I know. It gives answers and hope to those who struggle with this disorder.
Marie
Mar 24, 2009 Marie added it
"This book in question and answer format allows you to find the questions (and answers) that most relate to your situation. The resource section is comprehensive and includes book, online and organizational resources."
Jessietaylortanner
Okay- about half the book was unnecessary for me, as I an already make small talk. I don't know if I would call it a 'handbook', as it is all Q&A. Some helpful info.
Marsha
Jul 04, 2010 Marsha rated it really liked it
Shelves: mental-health
I liked the question and answer format and the focus on a holistic treatment approach. I respected the doctors approach to treatment.
Carrie Gunn
Dec 17, 2007 Carrie Gunn rated it liked it
A very informative guide to those who are interested in learning more about Bipolar disorder and its treatments.
Bridgett
Sep 18, 2011 Bridgett rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Useful questions and answers about bipolar disorder, though nothing especially new.
Katie Cook
Apr 07, 2009 Katie Cook rated it really liked it
I learned a lot about my illness and why my mind works the way it does.
Rochelle
Apr 02, 2008 Rochelle rated it it was amazing
Best book on Bi Polar I have ever read and that all I can say.
Kim
Mar 27, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
Very interesting, clear answers.
Kara Merry
May 08, 2008 Kara Merry rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Kara by: no one
Very helpful good book
Omar Benaam
Omar Benaam is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2016
Pippa Copleston
Pippa Copleston rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Sara Davis
Sara Davis marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Megan Riley
Megan Riley marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Katie Stark
Katie Stark is currently reading it
Feb 29, 2016
Mary Lou
Mary Lou rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016