The Vegan Sourcebook

The Vegan Sourcebook

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  540 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Veganism is more than simply avoiding animal-based products, it is a humane, ethical way of life that encompasses environmentalism, social activism, and conscientious consumption. The Vegan Sourcebook is a complete guide to the vegan principles that advocate harmony, justice, and compassion for all living beings.
Published October 1st 2000 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Vegan Sourcebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vegan Sourcebook

Cara
Over half the book is just an argument for veganism. Most people who pick up this book (like myself) are already on the vegan train and want to know all the in's and out's and it's almost like they're trying to win people over. It does present great arguments against that carnivorous uncle who bashes anything different, but really it's a little excessive.

This book did have some great nutritional tips, but they were in the last third of the book. It's a great book to keep in your personal librar...more
Lauri
Nov 28, 2008 Lauri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Vegetarians who want to be vegans; animal lovers
This is a really great book for beginning vegans. It gives a really cool history of modern vegetarianism/veganism at the start of the book. I was shocked to find that modern vegetarianism came to being in the 1800s. The author also touches on the many moral and health reasons for becoming a vegan. There is an excellent reading guide at the end of the book as well as some pretty delicious recipes and a food pyramid & nutrition guide for vegans. I was hoping for a little more substance when it...more
Julia
I bought this book when I was feeling under attack from family and friends over my choice to be vegan. The book (plus a few others on my list) gave me all the ammo I needed to convince them that my nutrition is sound, and my decisions reasoned and based on evidence. I even managed to convince many of them to change their habits based on the wealth of information provided here. Joanne Stepaniak does not preach, she simply presents the evidence. Whether you are thinking about going vegan due to co...more
James
Extremely worthwhile. This book walks you through, more or less, the entire process, the lifestyle of veganism. Especially useful in terms of nutritional planning, and for the equally important program of lighting sundry fires under sundry asses, I recommend this book as a good place to go when you have more or less already decided to go vegan. It will pat you on the back and make you feel all gooey inside for doing so, and it will likely give you that one last little nudge if you are on the fen...more
Alex
A great book resource for existing and soon-to-be vegans. It starts with a historical background of veganism and then follows with great detail on the issues with which vegans are concerned, including moral, environmental, health, and human, species, and gender rights issues. It also provided some recipes as well as a plethora of additional information resources. It strengthened my beliefs in my lifestyle choice and reminded me why it's worth it and what to remember when I'm struggling or tempte...more
Plant Girl
This was a most useful resource for me when I first became vegan, especially the chapter on vegan nutrition (a vegan food pyramid is included, which I could not be more happy about!). The recipes section is short, but there are some goodies. I especially like the franks 'n beans recipe, as I had always loved beans 'n weanies growing up and this fulfilled my desire for homecooked comfort food! I could not recommend this book more for new vegans or anyone else interested in a vegan diet and lifest...more
Fuchsia Rascal
Amazing. While toying with the idea of becoming vegan, I ordered a copy of this. Within four chapters, I had made the commitment to veganism and hadn't looked back. It goes into the history of veganism, the evils of the dairy and egg businesses, how to deal with unwanted "pests" besides just killing them, etc. There's a lot of information in the back appendixes as well. It's not a cookbook, but there are some recipes to get you started on the path of vegan food.
Nate263
Jan 04, 2010 Nate263 rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new vegans
This book has a few really weak chapters, full of sentences like "Veganism can be very difficult but also very rewarding." and "Sometimes people do not like vegans blah blah blah..." but it has a few really informative chapters on nutrition and the conditions on factory farms and their environmental effects that make this book worth reading. Don't be afraid to skip a few of the middle chapters; I wish I hadn't wasted my time reading them.
Maren
So I'm on the brink of going vegan, or at least that's what I thought until I read this book. This book is a discussion of how the way we live affects the planet. It's a good book, but it made it clear to me that I haven't arrived yet. I'm ready to stop eating animal products, but I'm not ready to stop wearing leather, or going to the zoo, or eating honey. This book is good food for thought.
Lisa Vegan
May 12, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those trying to go vegan, new vegans, etc.
This is a very supportive and inspiring book for those considering the vegan lifestyle, and for new and long time vegans as well. I think it’s an especially helpful book, full of good information.
Jessica
When I was contemplating becoming a vegan, during my vegan crisis ("there's even animal ingredients in the fake poptarts under my bed!"). Did not become a vegan. The book's fault?
Mo
Joanne Stepaniak is a beacon of sanity in the sometimes dark forest of intolerant vegan police...I love her take on things, and she's both informative and compassionate.
Minku
Mar 28, 2008 Minku rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: human beings
Recommended to Minku by: your mom
This is one of the many vegan books that sit upon our kitchen windowsill. An excellently accessible and no-bullshit guide to veganism and animal rights.
Tamara Evans
This is a wonderful resource for anyone wanting to learn more about the vegan lifestyle. The book discuss vegan ethics and also contains a few recipes to try.
Owen
Can't reccomend this book enough. It has everything a vegan might need, from nutrition tables and recipes to inspiring passages and pep-talks.
Debbie Vanover
Tons of good information. A must have...

veggloverherbaltraditions.wordpress.com
feedmeveggies.blogspot.com
theherbnjungle.blogspot.com
Karli
One of the classic reference books to a vegan lifestyle. When I first went vegan, I referred to this book time and again.
Shelly
Tons of good information. The information on infant nutrition and when to start solid foods is a little outdated, though.
Maggie
Well, this book was one of the biggest things in helping me go vegan, so I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.
Angie S
This book did not catch my attention as much as others... the recipes did not look too enticing.
Hilary Holmes
This one was just OK, not as good of a resource book as some others that I've read.
Tina.
Everything you ever wanted to know about veganism, but were afraid to ask.
Eric
Interesting, not amazing, but worth the time.
Stephanie
Review to come!
Deanna
thanks katia!
Adrienne Ingram
Adrienne Ingram is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
  • Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating
  • 1,000 Vegan Recipes
  • Living among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarians' Survival Handbook
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Vegan's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony
  • Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World
  • Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals
  • The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life: Cruelty-Free Crafts, Recipes, Beauty Secrets and More
  • The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again!
  • Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat
The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Create Delicious Dairy-Free Cheese Substititues and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary Being Vegan Raising Vegetarian Children: A Guide to Good Health and Family Harmony Vegan Deli