Start by marking “The Assassin (Ryan Kealey, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin (Ryan Kealey, #2)

The Assassin (Ryan Kealey #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,578 ratings  ·  47 reviews
More than a year has passed since Ryan Kealey prevented the assassination of multiple world leaders in the nation's capital. While his work is brilliant, he's considered damaged goods. Now he's about to become a key player in a plot of unimaginable scale. For something big is about to go down in New York City.

When a top Iranian source reveals that Iran is planning to bomb
Published March 1st 2007 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Assassin

Joe
The United Nations is slated to be ground zero for the next major terrorist attempt on American soil. Or is it? There is conflicting intelligence coming from an Iranian FBI source that does not coincide with the information gathered by Special Forces in Iraq, and beneath the surface is a cunning enemy that was presumed dead. For Ryan Kealey, the threat is not confined to a faceless enemy abroad. Someone in his own agency wants him put out of action.

For me the plot hovered between a 3.5 and a 4.
Linda Root
Good, but not as good as the first, third or fourth. The first book draws us into Kealey's personality. The second, with another female love interest, perhaps came too soon after the first one, and having villain Vanderveen targeting another female close to Ryan Kealey loses its punch. If there had been an intervening book, this one might have had more of an impact. Also, it reflects negatively on readers that the female baddie plays so small a part--nevertheless, her history as presented in boo ...more
Seth Kaplan
Read the first in the series a long time ago. This would did not grab me nearly as much as the first. Perhaps it's because it is based so much on current events that are not quite so current anymore. Perhaps it's because of the overreliance on technical detail that seems unnecessary especially in the first half of the book, which moves extremely slowly. Perhaps it's because of the many errors in details, such as the description of using I95 to get from the Canadian border through upstate NY (las ...more
Henri Moreaux
Assassin by Andrew Britton is larger than your average thriller weighing in at 623 pages in the Michael Joseph/Penguin Books trade paperback edition.

Despite the seemingly large length once the story gets going it's a quick read, unfortunately, it's the start which leaves you wondering whether to continue reading or cut your losses and toss the book.

After about 150-200 pages the story ratchets up, you become more familiar with the cast of characters in your head and things start flowing, good a
Timtracy Seguinjohnston
It's really unfortunate that the author died after writing only 3 books. The stories were ripped out of the news headlines, were very well written, real page turners.
Hans
Alisha Kennedy
Sep 13, 2014 Alisha Kennedy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Action and Conspiracy Lovers
Shelves: favorite-s
Usually not a fan of this type of stories or movies, especially since I am not familiar with weapons (which is referred to a lot in this book); but I fell into the story hard and found I couldn't put it down.
Felix
I loved this better than his debut. The cat & mouse play between Kealey and Vanderveen is very entertaining. The ending was great!
Joshua Walcher
I liked this one better than the first one. So there's that. 8.5/10.
Joe Newell
This book rebounded nicely for me. It started out a bit confusing; I couldn't seem to keep the characters straight in my head with all of the different Arabic names, but it all sorted itself out. The story was good and engaging and I enjoyed it throughout. As often, a complaint I have with this book is the obvious staging by the author to facilitate a sequel, or a continuance of the series. To my way of thinking, write a great book and let it stand on it's merits. Don't write a book and treat it ...more
Neeka
Not extremely great but not horrible writing either. Plot was somewhat predictable but you will get this with any type of book like this.
It was a fun distraction if only to read in between naps...
Lee Broad
More detail than is my style, but Britton builds on a character you love to hate.The chillingly brutal Vanderveen's chink in his mental armor is his obsession with crushing Ryan Kealey. At the same time, occasional rays of humanity escape from Vanderveen and for the briefest of moments, you wish him well and realize the author has almost turned you. Time and again, the reader is brought to the edge as the plot leaps across continents, enmeshing you in the no-holds-barred politics of the Middle E ...more
Britt Griffith
Ann Wright
I enjoyed this sequel to the American. Ryan Kealy, ex CIA officer and broken hearted lover, finally hunts down the ultimate bad guy with the help of the somewhat naive but very resourceful, Naomi. For his efforts he receives the thanks of a grateful nation, gets his boss out of some serious hot water, and generally sets things right. There's a good mix of politics and action with Kealy facing pretty insurmountable odds but persevering in the end. I love the genre and this one satisfied me.
Lee
The second Ryan Kealey book deals with another assassination plot by James March a/k/a William Vanderveen Kealey’s arch nemesis. The FBI believes that the assassination are the work of Iranians seeking to destabilize Iraq while Kealey and Naomi Kharmai believe that it is the work of Iraqi insurgents. They travel all over the world being under fire and in danger all the way as they seek to stop another terrorist attack.
Veronica
Ryan Kealey is back and this time he is more rogue than ever. His losses in the first installment of this series make him even more of a risk taker in this book. The only problem with this book is that at times it feels like it is about one hundred pages too long. Don't get me wrong, I love the story and the characters and development. However, at times it feels as if it is dragging by.
Dave
Jun 21, 2013 Dave rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Rated 3 1/2 stars. I found the first half of this book to be a struggle as it seemed fragmented, hard to really get into and somewhat of a rehash of the first book. After that it sped up and became a decent read albeit drawn out. Overall it left enough interest to continue reading the series after taking a break for other reading and then come back to book three.
Mark
Britton's Ryan Kealey, another hero along the lines of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp, Brad Thor's Scot Harvath and Alex Berenson's John Wells confronts his arch-enemy who desires the destruction of the good ol' US of A...Fun read though I'm saddened by the fact the Britton's passing at such a young age will deprive us of a story lines in the genre
Matthew Cousens
A great military thriller. At 500 pages this book was much longer than other books I read but I didn't mind it once I was caught in the plot. I liked how three of four different stories were woven together over time to reveal the ending, which of course leaves you hanging for the next novel in the series. I will definitely read it.
Kristi
I liked Britton's first book, "The American", better than this one only because this seemed to be too much like the first one for the first 300 or so pages. It did improve in uniqueness from there until the end, however, and I did enjoy the read. Looking forward to his next book...
Sally Jones
I didn't enjoy this book. The scene setting portion of the story was slow and labourious. Over half way through the story begins to heat up but even then the action is lacking and suspense is limited. No finesse. I won't be picking up a book by this author again.
Theresa Banks-edin
The plot lines and pacing of this novel are tight and fast and make for an enjoyable experience. The character development is good to great, as is plot development. This adds to the overall suspense right through to the end of the novel.
Elyse
So many characters and plot directions, it has taken me awhile to become engaged with this one. Just reaching Chapter 25 ... and the library recalled it because reserved by another patron.

To be continued!
Angela
Almost as good as the first one. The ending dragged a little bit but it was a really good read. I almost- ALMOST felt a smidgen of liking for Kohl and than had it all vanish rather quickly. Great read.
Janet
The book was okay, not great. I'm not a fan of how many random people die in this series of books. It makes me really sad.

Might not read the 3rd book in this series. They just aren't that great.
Kelley
This was a great continuation of The American. It was slow for the first quarter of the book - necessary periphery of the story. Once I got into it, I couldn't put it down!
Skip
Suspenseful but first book (The American) was better. Archenemy survived from first book -- what a shock. A bit too heavy on the armaments, for my taste.
Joe
Six Hundred pages and he left the reader hanging. I hate that. Some authors do that to lead into the next book, I will not be reading more from this author.
Catherine
Saw the spine of this book when I was looking for Dan Brown book and picked it up. So glad I did- great thriller that keeps you engaged til the end.
Ryan Mac
This book wasn't quite as good as the first book in the series, The American, but a fast read with the same lead character. Another good quick read.
Andrew Britton Dies 1 28 Mar 26, 2008 08:31PM
  • Gideon's War (Gideon Davis, #1)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • The Deceived (Jonathan Quinn, #2)
  • The Silent Man (John Wells, #3)
  • Black Site (Delta Force, #1)
  • Falcon Seven
  • One Rough Man (Pike Logan, #1)
  • Firefight
  • Intercept (Mack Bedford, #2)
  • Takedown (Scot Harvath, #5)
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
  • The Shooters (The Presidential Agent, #4)
  • The Echelon Vendetta (Agent Micah Dalton, #1)
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
During his early childhood, Andrew Britton lived between England and Camlough, County Armagh, Northern Ireland, until the family emigrated to the United States in 1988 at age seven. Britton spent years in both Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Raleigh, North Carolina. After graduating from Leesville Road High School in Raleigh in 1999, Britton joined the U.S. Army as a combat engineer. He stayed in the ...more
More about Andrew Britton...
The American (Ryan Kealey, #1) The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3) The Exile (Ryan Kealey, #4) The Operative (Ryan Kealey, #5) The Courier (Ryan Kealey, #6)