Start by marking “Won't You Be My Hugaroo?” as Want to Read:
Won't You Be My Hugaroo?

Won't You Be My Hugaroo?

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  108 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
These much-loved companion picture books that celebrate all the kissable and huggable moments between little ones and their grown-ups are now available as an adorable board book duo. Joanne Ryder's playful rhymes pair perfectly with Melissa Sweet's whimsical illustrations, making these just right for Valentine's Day, a birthday, or any sweet celebration.
Board Book, 30 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Won't You Be My Hugaroo?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Won't You Be My Hugaroo?

Carmen
Jan 01, 2016 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children under 4
Won't you be my hugaroo?
I've lots of hugs to share with you.

Okay, first things first. This is a BABY book. For babies. No kid over the age of 4 is going to like it. 4 might even be pushing it. This is the kind of book your five-or-six-year old picks up for her 2-year-old brother because she loves him and wants to read to him. So, to reiterate, it's FOR BABIES.

It's all about hugging. All different kinds of hugging.

A catch-you hug is full of play,
although it takes your breath away.

A twirly hug wil
Molly Toomey
A book filled with animals and different types of hugs, such as a twirly hug at the fair, a friendly hug with friends, a baby hug with a little one, a tickle hug to make someone laugh, a cheer-up hug when someone is sad, a calming hug when someone is scared, a good-job hug when you've done something great, etc. A book filled with great illustrations that has a lot of emotion-positive friendship thoughts and different types of hugs.
Heidi
For a lover of hugs, this book is just too cute, and still sweetly true. It doesn't quite fit in with any of the storytimes I am currently thinking of, but it was a nice read.

(It is also hard to determine which age group this would go for, as it might be a bit long for toddler, but a little young for preschool. At least in a storytime setting. A lap read would be perfect for any age.)

3/31/10 & 4/1/10 I finally managed to get this one into a storytime. I used it for the toddler group. While i
Lynnett
Aug 25, 2014 Lynnett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. The catchy little phrases and different types of hugs. My kids and I practice each of these whenever the opportunity arises. It is fun to name them afterward too.
Kimberly
"Won't you by my hugaroo? I've lots of hugs to share with you."

I've been reading this delightful book to my daughter for two years now! It describes thirteen different types of hugs. Some are silly: a twirly hug, a tickle hug, or a roller-coaster-riding hug. While others are more normal: a cheer up hug, a cuddly hug or a goodbye hug. Which ever ends up being your favorite, a hug is sometimes just what you need. Each hug is described in a fun, one sentenced rhyme. It includes some whimsical illus
The Brothers
Mar 07, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hugs
A little sappy, but sure fun if you want to do some hugging!
Candice
Aug 12, 2013 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Babies and toddlers
Shelves: picture-books
This book and its companion Won't You Be My Kissaroo? are the books I buy for new babies. They combine a delightful rhyming text with sweet and colorful illustrations. While reading the books to babies and toddlers, there's plenty of time for hugs and kisses to go along with the story.
Meghan Hunt
Feb 06, 2013 Meghan Hunt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jp-picture-books
This is such a cute book for toddlers and preschoolers.

Excerpt: "Won't you be my hugaroo? I've lots of hugs to share with you. A catch-you hug is full of play, although it takes your breath away."

The illustrations are darling and the author does a great job describing various types of hugs. It is very sweet. It's a great cuddle-time story.
Kaylie Singleton
I think that younger children from Pre-kindergarten to even 1st or 2nd grade would enjoy this book. It has adorable illustrations of animals, and a rhyme occurring with the words. I would definitely read this to my future children or students.
Elizabeth Smitheram
A precious book about the different types of hugs with astounding pictures that tell the story visually as well. Perfect book for bedtime because it ends with the parent tucking in the little child.
Cassandra
May 06, 2010 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
A great book to read to your kids, the book is all about hugs. Your sure to score lots of hugs and kisses while reading this book to your little ones.
Tammy  King Carlton
Feb 08, 2008 Tammy King Carlton rated it it was amazing
We got this book for Rebekah for her 3rd Christmas, as a reminder that hugs are always free in our house.
Tiffany
Mar 10, 2009 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is such a sweet book that explores different kinds of hugs in rhyme. Love it!
Tricia
bedtime story rather than storytime book. nice pictures. lots of hugs.
Hailey Lawrence
Feb 22, 2013 Hailey Lawrence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter's current favourite, such a cute book
Christen
Feb 13, 2013 Christen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
Cute book, a bit long for storytime.
Carla Ehrenreich
Heidi loved it.
Lynn Demsky
Lynn Demsky marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Juliet Baker-Rice
Juliet Baker-Rice rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Apoorva
Apoorva marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Jessica Hovey
Jessica Hovey rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Joe Eyres
Joe Eyres rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Thuy
Thuy rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Cora Sammons
Cora Sammons rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Joanna Ryder is an award-winning author whose books offer a unique blend of poetry and science. Her innovative Just for a Day series invites children into the world of wild animals, ranging from a sea otter to Tyrannosaurus rex. Ms. Ryder says, "Children know that my books often ask them to imagine being a different creature. So they always ask me which animal I would choose to be. I'd be a flying ...more
More about Joanne Ryder...