Flash, Crash, Rumble, and Roll

Flash, Crash, Rumble, and Roll (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Did you know that lightning bolts can be over a mile long? Or that they may come from clouds that are ten miles high? Storms can be scary, but not if you know what causes them. Before the next thunderstorm, grab this book by veteran science team Franklyn Branley and True Kelley and learn what causes the flash, crash, rumble, and roll of thunderstorms!
Published April 9th 1999 by HarperCollins (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Flash, Crash, Rumble, and Roll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flash, Crash, Rumble, and Roll

Nicola Mansfield
My review is of the original 1964 Ed Emberley illustrated edition. The current volume for sale has revised text and new illustrations. In fact, this book has been through a few revisions through the years. The text of this edition is a little out-dated, we don't really use terms like "sonic boom" anymore and frankly the text isn't exactly entertaining either. I usually am quite fond of Branley's contributions to this series but he became a little dry and technical with this one as he does fit a...more
Ashley Lewis
I love learning about the weather, so maybe I'm a little bias.. But I really enjoyed reading this picture book! It is one of those books that does a great job at making confusing concepts very fun and easy! It is a great book for learning about the weather and why it is the way it is. I know children would learn a lot from this book. I know I did! There are lot of fun facts that I know would interest and entertain kids.
Julianna
LOVE THIS BOOK! Its great 'cause its interesting and is very informative. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and think that kids would like it too! It talks about what to and not to do in a thunderstorm, how to tell how far the lightning is , how rain clouds are formed, and much more. Really interesting stuff, and it also explains things in ways that are easy to understand which is good when teaching to all ages.
Heidi
Another science book meant for young audiences, but I found this one more interestig because it was specifically about lightning and thunder. I wish I'd had this book while growing up. Then I would have had a source to back me up when I tried to tell my friend that lightning did not come from the ground up. (Except for more in-depth circumstances that I won't go into right now.) It's nice to know I'm not the only one who counts between lightning and thunder (a result of watching "Castaways" many...more
Renee' Viness
I believe my copy of this book was more blue and purplish. Regardless, it has always been one of my favorite books for children, when it comes to weather. I got my first copy when I was a child in the 1960's and read it to my brother. In the 1980's, I read it to my children and when I found another copy, I bought it for my grandchildren. Ironically, I haven't seen the last one since we were hit by a tornado in December of 2008. I WILL buy another one.
Winddancer
Okay, this was the first book we got for our son that was science related. We'll probably end up buying the whole series. Awesome, awesome, awesome series, accurate and easily understood scientific reasons for how/why our world works. My husband found this series after scouring the internet for hours looking for books about thunderstorms. Highly recommended series!!!
Restokes92
This book offers a simple breakdown to why lightning storms occur and why thunder makes the sound it makes. This book is enjoyable because it offers a simple breakdown of a complex process in nature. I would definitely use this with my children by combining ELA and Science so that students can learn science as well as grow their reading skills.
Kelli Dana
Science Content:
This book is great for teaching students about meteorology or even the basics of weather.
This book can be used in Kindergarten when introducing the basics about weather or it can really be used in any aspect where weather/meteorology is being discussed. Probably best for younger grades.
Kelly Whelchel
Science Grade K-1 Fiction Topic: Weather

Great for introducing weather. Teaching the different types of weather. The first week of school, teach this different weather conditions so that when the class does weather calendar, the students know what each weather conditions is.
Erin
In this book students will learn how a thunderstorm evolves. They will learn how the air temperature and amount of moisture create changes in the weather. There are great pictures to provide visual aides for students. This book also provides simple experiments to try.
Books Kids Like
This book is very informative. You will learn how the big cumulonimbus clouds that signal thunder storms are made, how to tell the distance of the storm by counting the seconds between lightning and thunder, and how to protect yourself from lightning.
Deborah Harris
RL 2.25 GRL-K

AR Quiz No. 13813 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.3 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Yadira
This book explores clouds, lightening, and thunderstorms. It would be a great book to use for a science lesson on storms and how they form.
Heather Ledet
This book would be good for Kindergarten and first grade. It describes how to keep safe during a storm and also has some fun activities.
Audrey Harlan
This is a great book to use when talking about thunderstorms and how they are formed. This seems like a really good series.
Christy
Great explanations of weather, how thunderstorms are formed, the process of clouds, all about electricity and thunderstorms.
Tuyet Tran
Clouds,rains,thunder,and lightning. This is a safety precaution for children to know when thunder is coming.
Jenny Wright
Nice, informative weather information in a storybook format. Great illustrations by True Keliey.
Robin E.
A fun science book that is among the first my kids can read themselves.
Aaliyah Castillo
Aaliyah Castillo marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Maloy Kids
Maloy Kids marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ana R
Ana R added it
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Down Comes the Rain The Planets in Our Solar System What Makes Day and Night The Moon Seems to Change What Makes a Magnet?