Start by marking “The Lupus Book: A Guide for Patients and Their Families” as Want to Read:
The Lupus Book: A Guide for Patients and Their Families

The Lupus Book: A Guide for Patients and Their Families

The symptoms are puzzling, intermittent, and frequently seem unrelated: mysterious rashes, sore joints, fatigue, headaches. It can take years to properly diagnose, often leaving its victims suffering not only from the disease, but from the uncertainty about whether they have the disease and from the not-insignificant problem of finding a physician to treat them. The diseas ...more
Published December 21st 1995 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Lupus Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lupus Book

Kathy
Aug 20, 2007 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
great for those who may have an autoimmune disorder. You'll gain a wealth of inside information that most Doctors so not discuss with you. It will validate what you have been going through and most importantly...why

I run a support group online at http://www.LupusMCTD.com for fellow patients.
I hope you check us out.
Live chats, "library" charts, resources and muchmore.

"We Understand What You Are Going Through!"
Lala
Dec 02, 2008 Lala rated it it was amazing
Very easy read for understanding lupus. I refer back to it regulalry. Even booked a medical appt. with the author who practices in Los Angeles a few years back. Still a patient of his on a consult-basis and I consult with him and his nurses from time to time.
Tina
Jul 07, 2011 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Obviously this is a book with a limited audience, but if you have lupus, have a loved one with lupus, or for whatever reason have a particular interest in the disease, this is an incredibly informative text. For many this is the gold standard of lupus books (for the layperson, at least), and I can see why: Wallace goes into a lot of detail, and I learned tons of stuff that my internet searches hadn't revealed. Of course it's not a fun or light read, but 5 stars for being an excellent reference.
Eliza T. Williamson
Jun 19, 2008 Eliza T. Williamson rated it it was amazing
This is my bible in terms of dealing with SLE Lupus--it has answered all my questions in a sinmple, non-alarmist way. Clear, concise user-friendly information. An added bonus is a thorough discussion of the medications typically used to treat Lupus and their side effects.
christina
Aug 14, 2010 christina rated it it was amazing
This is not a fun read; it actually falls in the horror genre in places. However, it is well-written, and anecdotes are interspersed with the technical medical discussion. This is by far the top lay resource on lupus. It has been almost 10 years since my diagnosis, but I still learned a lot from the book.
Lee
Mar 23, 2012 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd just like to chime in to agree that this must be the definitive reference for lupus patients. Wallace explains the auto-immune response in understandable terms, and discusses how each physical system is involved in lupus, making this an accessible & indispensable guide particularly for the newly diagnosed or those wanting a deeper understanding of this disease.
Reading Wolf
May 03, 2014 Reading Wolf rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lupus patients, family of anyone with Lupus, and general practitioners.
This is my go to guide for any questions I have about my disease. I find it to be an invaluable resource.
Sheba Family
Apr 19, 2016 Sheba Family rated it really liked it
A must read for anyone with lupus and any friend or relative of a Lupie! It is an excellent book, easy to understand, well written and very informative. Absolutely essential to regaining control and understanding lupus.
The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is that it takes a conventional, biomedical approach. I believe this approach in combination with alternative treatments are most effective in treating Lupus. I encourage you to read this book first and as a priority, but then explore tre
Jose Salgado-Wiggin
Very helpful for family and patients. It doesn't address the deepest mechanics of the illness in technical terms, the author prefers to establish a narrative that is easy to follow and that is packed with resourceful information that every lupus patient should have. It includes a discussion of the treatments, the medications and other considerations. It can be read by chapters, according to the immediate needs of the reader. I really like it, the doctor shares years of experience with hundreds o ...more
Nicole
May 12, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Well-written book about lupus. Written by a rheumatologist, this book simplifies medical jargon and answers many questions about the disease. This is not a boring book either. The doctor has a sense of humor and injects the chapters with experiences from people with the disease.
Lisa Bilodeau
Nov 17, 2016 Lisa Bilodeau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and thorough guide of a very complicated disease. In some places it is seems very medical-jargon-y, but is very helpful overall. It gave me an excellent overview, helped me review the areas I currently have issues with and allowed me to prepare questions for my doctor team.
Mary
Dec 22, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
This book is really geared towards medical people. I regularly read this type of information because there isn't much out there for lay people when it comes to Lupus. There is a lot of information that was also in the previous edition.
Deana
May 15, 2017 Deana rated it really liked it
Very informative, sometimes the medical terminology is a bit hard to understand, but still very helpful and readable for all.
Carolyn
Feels a little outdated in its presentation, despite being a 2008 edition. Learned some new lupus and autoimmune disorder details, as well as undifferentiated connective tissue disease (UCTD). Understand differences between lupus and fibromyalgia more clearly now.
Mariel
Jan 23, 2014 Mariel rated it liked it
Shelves: lupus-liaison
Read this book for work -- seeking resources & literature for patients and their families. Although it is still very medical/technical, this can serve as a great reference book particularly when needing general information about labs, medications, and lupus symptoms.
Kaira
Mar 27, 2012 Kaira rated it really liked it
I didn't read this for fun, but because I was diagnosed with crossover lupus scleroderma and raynaud's phenomenon. It gave me lots of info that I didn't even get from my doctor and gave me lots to ask him and gave me new knowledge about what is wrong with me.
Debi Achey
Dec 26, 2012 Debi Achey rated it really liked it
good information but very technical even for a nurse. Was looking more for coping strategies, more than technical read on lupus pathophysiology. Good reference book to keep on your shelf to review during disease exacerbation.
Julianna
Oct 10, 2011 Julianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a helpful read when I was first diagnosed, and a great reference for me if I ever have a question about blood-work.
Gina Lynette
Dec 13, 2013 Gina Lynette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I wouldn't give lupus any stars, this is a pretty helpful book if you need to know about it.
Carol
Mar 16, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, lupus
A good book -- lots info but a little dry.
Jill
Feb 08, 2016 Jill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book will be good for someone who has medical knowledge. I found this book to be confusing and to hard to to getting any information.
Jan
Jul 23, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it
Helpful. I read it to understand more about autoimmune diseases as there is overlap between the many diagnoses.
Candace
Nov 29, 2010 Candace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lupus
By far one of the best Lupus Books I have read. Dr. Daniel Wallace is like the God of Lupus!
Sallee
Sallee rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2011
Jon Clements
Jon Clements rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Trisha D Smith
Trisha D Smith rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Rande
Rande rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2009
Melissa Mikush
Melissa Mikush rated it it was ok
May 20, 2014
Mark Jones
Mark Jones rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Inflammation Syndrome: The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies, and Asthma
  • Meals That Heal Inflammation: Embrace Healthy Living and Eliminate Pain, One Meal at a Time
  • Living Well with Autoimmune Disease: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know
  • The Cortisol Connection: Why Stress Makes You Fat and Ruins Your Health � And What You Can Do About It
  • The Thyroid Solution
  • Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health
  • You Don't Look Sick!: Living Well with Invisible Chronic Illness
  • The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor's 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease
  • The World Is Your Litter Box: Deluxe Edition: A How-To Manual for Cats
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • Clean Cuisine: An 8-Week Anti-Inflammatory Diet that Will Change the Way You Age, Look & Feel
  • The Antianxiety Food Solution: How the Foods You Eat Can Help You Calm Your Anxious Mind, Improve Your Mood, and End Cravings
  • From Fatigued to Fantastic!
  • The Hormone Reset Diet: Heal Your Metabolism to Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 21 Days
  • The Einstein Factor: A Proven New Method for Increasing Your Intelligence
  • The Diet Cure
  • Misdiagnosed: One Woman's Tour of -And Escape From- Healthcareland
  • Fasting and Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease