The Follower

The Follower

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In New York City’s work hard, play harder singles scene, a young woman looking for love can find herself the object of a deadly obsession.

With each meaningless date and disappointing new boyfriend, Katie Porter is becoming more and more disillusioned. No matter how wide a net she casts she can't seem to find a guy who really understands her. But someone thinks she's spec
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Follower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Follower

DH
I was a little disappointed after reading this book especially since its my first Jason Starr book. I heard he's a great author and I'll probably try to read one of his other books because I don't want to judge his writing skills based on this one book.

My biggest beef with this book is that I couldn't care less what happened to the characters. Its hard to actually like a book when the characters are not engaging and you don't care about them. I don't have a problem with flawed characters; in fa...more
Maggie
Meh. That's all I will say. For now, at least.

So The Follower is basically what the title says. A guy...Ahem, pardon me. A crazy, lunatic, obsessed, sick, twisted, stalker follows the "love of his life" around, trying everything (and oh, I do mean everything) to make her his. Quite a crazy "thriller" this book was.

Now, I can rant about it.

The characters. Didn't like them. One guy was a sex fiend/womanizer. -cough- Andy -cough-. The other is the crazy, lunatic, etc (look at the description in...more
Delia
It's a cliche, but for me, Jason Starr's "The Follower" was actually un-put-down-able. I read it because Bret Easton Ellis called it a masterpiece. I finished it in less than 48 hours. It's darkly funny, and shifting perspectives allow for copious dramatic irony. I love the Upper East Side setting, and Starr's skewering of post-college frat boys, AKA "walking hard ons," whose behavior makes them nearly as sinister as the stalker at the center of the story. This is a fast-paced, clever novel that...more
Alberto
I'm a big fan of Jason Starr but this is by far his weakest effort to date IMO. Where did all the twists, great plots and regular guys in jeopardy go? The book is double lenght than usual and tells a very very typical mystery story about a psycho stalking a girl. It seems to me an attempt by the author to move into best-seller area.

Update:
I've read some reviews about the following Starr novels Panic Attack and The Pack and it seems I've finished for the moment with this author, since those are m...more
C
This is the first time Jason has written a female character I really disapproved of. She wasn't realistic or complicated or in any way interesting to read about. *spoiler* And her reaction to her potential date-rape was offputting, to say the least.

Peter though, was fabulous.
Jimmy
Step inside the head of a stalker....it made me cringe. Do not let your daughter/sister/mother hang out with the guys in this tale! Jason Starr's books are dark but cool...
Theresa Leone Davidson
A very suspenseful novel about a stalker and his twisted way of thinking as he follows a young woman around New York, 'accidentally' bumping into her and renewing a friendship they'd had years earlier. It is a page turner, one I found difficult to put down, but its biggest minus is the characters, not one of whom, with the exception of John, a detective, is likable. In fact, in many ways it was like the television show Seinfeld (and I don't mean this as a compliment - the very few episodes I eve...more
Brenda
As a chick lit author, I love any book that begins with a Jane Austen quote. Especially one that’s cleverly used, as in the opener to Jason Starr’s psychological thriller, THE FOLLOWER.

THE FOLLOWER is a dark tale about Katie Porter, and the man who stalks her, Peter Wells. Just one warning: Parents—you may never let your children move into their own apartment in Manhattan after you read this!

Starr does an excellent job of portraying single life amongst the 20-somethings living on the Upper East...more
Michael Jenkins
Katie porter is a young woman looking for love in the streets of New York, but judging by the meaningless dates and instant disasters,she starts to lose hope.Andy her patient boyfriend has been wanting to take things to the next level, after only a few weeks of dating and Katie is pressured to satisfy him and try to cope with her own decisions. Stalking her since birth, Peter Wells has already decided that Katie is the woman for him. Not only did he planned a future for them but he already has a...more
Hanna
One of the worst books I've ever read. The writing is extremely simple and unoriginal (the german translation makes it even worse) and the story feels like it was written for a cheap TV-movie. None of the characters is likeable, due to the fact they are more cliché than one can bear. The women in the book are only interested in make-up and lipgloss, losing weight and finding "the right" boyfriend. The men are either only interested in earning a lot of money and having sex with as many good-looki...more
Marley Hayman
It was amazing. I'm not usually one for scary stories - especially ones I can relate to - but I couldn't put this book down. The characters were complex and the way that the story shifted from each of them gave the story a very realistic touch.
Ray Hansel
I really enjoyed reading this book. My emotions got exaggerated as well. It feels like you're reading (or even watching) a movie instead of reading a book. The characters are so intense as the way the author describes it. I like also the author's courage and toughness for writing this kind of novel. It's kind of satirical and suspenseful. The only thing that I notice is that when the author narrates it, he uses a lot of profane words. It disturbs me a bit but it's still fine though. A heavy yet...more
Benjamin
Very entertaining! This is a quick read - enthralling from the first page and keeps you intrigued until the end - definitely a page turner!
John Kim
I've been following Jason Starr's literary career starting with "Cold Caller"....he's the literary equivalent of film noir. Reminds me of classic hard boiled authors such as James M. Cain and Richard Stark (aka Donald E. Westlake).

His characters are usually dark and creepy protagonists who you know are doing bad things but you can't help but keep rooting for their success. Sort of a modern day Talented Mr. Ripley.
Lois Duncan
This is the type of book I really get caught up in. What goes on in the head of a psychotic killer? To me, that subject is fascinating.

I didn't like a single one of the characters, so I really didn't care who got killed. But, then, that's an earmark of Jason Starr novels -- the characters are seldom likeable.
Sammy
Good Book for Jason Starr fans. Quick reading, VERY hard to put down. Current time frame writing style is very easy to relate to. i.e. use of NYC Jargon & e-mail, etc. A bit on the graphic (sexually explicit)side, but i guess that's Jason Starr for you. Ending was ok; again, typical Jason Starr style.
Julie Carson
I wasn't sure at first, as I wasn't keen on the style of writing as it's so different to the style I usually read. However, once I had become used to it, the book was very enjoyable. No real surprises or twists I didn't think, but easy to read.
Brittany
Jason Starr's writing style is fun to read, but I felt as the plot was rushed and it seemed to get off course in some areas. I really couldn't get into the main character of Katie. Starr did do a wonderful job of describing a obsessed stalker.
Jesse Daniel Gonzalez
It was the first book I actually read. I enjoyed it. I read about half of it, returned it to the library and months later still remembered the book and re-read it from the beginning. I've read this book a few different times.
Ed Armstrong
An infatuation gone wrong. Murder in New York City.
George
It was ok...... typical stalker type book .....
Jennifer Van horn
Jason Starr never fails!! One of my faves!!
Jodi Henry
Jodi Henry marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Matt Bierman
Matt Bierman marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014