Start by marking “The Follower” as Want to Read:
The Follower

The Follower

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  222 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
In New York City’s work hard, play harder singles scene, a young woman looking for love can find herself the object of a deadly obsession.

With each meaningless date and disappointing new boyfriend, Katie Porter is becoming more and more disillusioned. No matter how wide a net she casts she can't seem to find a guy who really understands her. But someone thinks she's spec
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Follower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Follower

Maggie
Jul 03, 2010 Maggie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may-10
Meh. That's all I will say. For now, at least.

So The Follower is basically what the title says. A guy...Ahem, pardon me. A crazy, lunatic, obsessed, sick, twisted, stalker follows the "love of his life" around, trying everything (and oh, I do mean everything) to make her his. Quite a crazy "thriller" this book was.

Now, I can rant about it.

The characters. Didn't like them. One guy was a sex fiend/womanizer. -cough- Andy -cough-. The other is the crazy, lunatic, etc (look at the description in
Michael
Oct 22, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katie porter is a young woman looking for love in the streets of New York, but judging by the meaningless dates and instant disasters,she starts to lose hope.Andy her patient boyfriend has been wanting to take things to the next level, after only a few weeks of dating and Katie is pressured to satisfy him and try to cope with her own decisions. Stalking her since birth, Peter Wells has already decided that Katie is the woman for him. Not only did he planned a future for them but he already has a ...more
DH
Apr 14, 2010 DH rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, library
I was a little disappointed after reading this book especially since its my first Jason Starr book. I heard he's a great author and I'll probably try to read one of his other books because I don't want to judge his writing skills based on this one book.

My biggest beef with this book is that I couldn't care less what happened to the characters. Its hard to actually like a book when the characters are not engaging and you don't care about them. I don't have a problem with flawed characters; in fa
Hanna
Jul 12, 2012 Hanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the worst books I've ever read. The writing is extremely simple and unoriginal (the german translation makes it even worse) and the story feels like it was written for a cheap TV-movie. None of the characters is likeable, due to the fact they are more cliché than one can bear. The women in the book are only interested in make-up and lipgloss, losing weight and finding "the right" boyfriend. The men are either only interested in earning a lot of money and having sex with as many good-looki ...more
Delia
Sep 09, 2013 Delia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a cliche, but for me, Jason Starr's "The Follower" was actually un-put-down-able. I read it because Bret Easton Ellis called it a masterpiece. I finished it in less than 48 hours. It's darkly funny, and shifting perspectives allow for copious dramatic irony. I love the Upper East Side setting, and Starr's skewering of post-college frat boys, AKA "walking hard ons," whose behavior makes them nearly as sinister as the stalker at the center of the story. This is a fast-paced, clever novel that ...more
Lois Duncan
Jun 16, 2012 Lois Duncan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the type of book I really get caught up in. What goes on in the head of a psychotic killer? To me, that subject is fascinating.

I didn't like a single one of the characters, so I really didn't care who got killed. But, then, that's an earmark of Jason Starr novels -- the characters are seldom likeable.
C
Feb 05, 2008 C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time Jason has written a female character I really disapproved of. She wasn't realistic or complicated or in any way interesting to read about. *spoiler* And her reaction to her potential date-rape was offputting, to say the least.

Peter though, was fabulous.
Marley Hayman
Mar 09, 2014 Marley Hayman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was amazing. I'm not usually one for scary stories - especially ones I can relate to - but I couldn't put this book down. The characters were complex and the way that the story shifted from each of them gave the story a very realistic touch.
Jimmy
Jul 14, 2008 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Step inside the head of a stalker....it made me cringe. Do not let your daughter/sister/mother hang out with the guys in this tale! Jason Starr's books are dark but cool...
Herb Hastings
Jul 13, 2016 Herb Hastings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent noir novel. Starr does a remarkable job of conveying the thought processes of both a stalker and a frat boy on the prowl. As expected in this genre, all the characters are flawed and don't always behave in the most commendable ways.
The story concerns a stalker hunting down his dream girl. The story is told from each of the characters' points of view: the stalker, his prey, her sort of boyfriend, and the police officer. Starr is able to give each an authentic voice.
If you are looking f
Theresa Leone Davidson
A very suspenseful novel about a stalker and his twisted way of thinking as he follows a young woman around New York, 'accidentally' bumping into her and renewing a friendship they'd had years earlier. It is a page turner, one I found difficult to put down, but its biggest minus is the characters, not one of whom, with the exception of John, a detective, is likable. In fact, in many ways it was like the television show Seinfeld (and I don't mean this as a compliment - the very few episodes I eve ...more
Brenda
Sep 13, 2008 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a chick lit author, I love any book that begins with a Jane Austen quote. Especially one that’s cleverly used, as in the opener to Jason Starr’s psychological thriller, THE FOLLOWER.

THE FOLLOWER is a dark tale about Katie Porter, and the man who stalks her, Peter Wells. Just one warning: Parents—you may never let your children move into their own apartment in Manhattan after you read this!

Starr does an excellent job of portraying single life amongst the 20-somethings living on the Upper East
Georgie
I really enjoyed this book and found it hard to put down. I did find it slightly predictable at times but the ending I really enjoyed.
Ray Hansel
Feb 26, 2011 Ray Hansel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. My emotions got exaggerated as well. It feels like you're reading (or even watching) a movie instead of reading a book. The characters are so intense as the way the author describes it. I like also the author's courage and toughness for writing this kind of novel. It's kind of satirical and suspenseful. The only thing that I notice is that when the author narrates it, he uses a lot of profane words. It disturbs me a bit but it's still fine though. A heavy yet ...more
Benjamin
Jan 31, 2014 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining! This is a quick read - enthralling from the first page and keeps you intrigued until the end - definitely a page turner!
John Kim
Sep 23, 2008 John Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been following Jason Starr's literary career starting with "Cold Caller"....he's the literary equivalent of film noir. Reminds me of classic hard boiled authors such as James M. Cain and Richard Stark (aka Donald E. Westlake).

His characters are usually dark and creepy protagonists who you know are doing bad things but you can't help but keep rooting for their success. Sort of a modern day Talented Mr. Ripley.
Sammy
May 01, 2008 Sammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Book for Jason Starr fans. Quick reading, VERY hard to put down. Current time frame writing style is very easy to relate to. i.e. use of NYC Jargon & e-mail, etc. A bit on the graphic (sexually explicit)side, but i guess that's Jason Starr for you. Ending was ok; again, typical Jason Starr style.
Julie Carson
I wasn't sure at first, as I wasn't keen on the style of writing as it's so different to the style I usually read. However, once I had become used to it, the book was very enjoyable. No real surprises or twists I didn't think, but easy to read.
Brittany
Oct 05, 2008 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jason Starr's writing style is fun to read, but I felt as the plot was rushed and it seemed to get off course in some areas. I really couldn't get into the main character of Katie. Starr did do a wonderful job of describing a obsessed stalker.
Jesse Daniel Gonzalez
It was the first book I actually read. I enjoyed it. I read about half of it, returned it to the library and months later still remembered the book and re-read it from the beginning. I've read this book a few different times.
Ed Armstrong
Feb 03, 2010 Ed Armstrong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
An infatuation gone wrong. Murder in New York City.
George
Mar 02, 2009 George rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was ok...... typical stalker type book .....
Jennifer Van horn
Jason Starr never fails!! One of my faves!!
Sandy Arsenic
as they have said
Jason Moss
Jason Moss rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
  • Nobody's Angel (Hard Case Crime, #65)
  • The Man Who Could Not Kill Enough
  • Death's Angel (Star Trek Adventures, #15)
  • Plunder of the Sun (Hard Case Crime #10)
  • Zero Cool
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)
  • The Violet Hour
  • One Man, One Murder
  • Say It With Bullets (Hard Case Crime #18)
  • Slide (Max & Angela, #2)
  • Murder is My Business (Hard Case Crime #66)
  • Selected Stories
  • The Last Hieroglyph
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • Wild Wives
  • Lovers in the Age of Indifference
  • Getting Off (Hard Case Crime #101)
  • Robbie's Wife (Hard Case Crime #29)