The Watermelon King

The Watermelon King

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  515 ratings  ·  62 reviews
An endearing, often outrageous blend of fable, tall tale, and page-turner, The Watermelon King brings readers to Ashland, Alabama -- the fictional town immortalized in Daniel Wallace's Big Fish -- whose reputation is based on the long-ago abundance of watermelons. Thomas Rider knows almost nothing about his parents, only that his mother died the day he was born in Ashland.
Published November 14th 2003 by Mariner Books (first published February 26th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Watermelon King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Watermelon King

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerMake Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
Food on the Cover
110th out of 602 books — 298 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggGarden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
Quirky Southern Fiction
388th out of 538 books — 1,465 voters

More lists with this book...

Snotchocheez
Stylistic indulgences and a really strange, rushed ending almost killed this dreamy fable/fairy tale of life in a small town in Alabama for me. But not quite. I am convinced that Mr. Wallace has got the "chops" to tell an amazing story (although at this time I've still yet to read "Big Fish"). "The Watermelon King" packs in a scant 225 pages quite a punch. Wallace transports us to a surreal fictional Ashland, Alabama in the not too distant past, a town with a ritual Watermelon Festival that doub...more
Stephanie
Karen
Since I love the movie "Big Fish", I decided to read something by this author. "Watermelon King" starts out five big stars. We learn about Lucy Rider 19 years after her death through a series of interviews by her son, now 18 years old. There are several underlying stories of this twisted small town. Relationships are based sometimes on real feelings, sometimes on fantasy. The middle section of the book shows us the son's childhood, growing up with his mother's friend and his grandfather. The gra...more
Danielle Raub
Courtney
Written by the same author who did Big Fish. I didn't like that movie, as I found it a tad too surreal for my tastes, and thus would probably never have picked this similarly surreal book up without my book club's invitation. Furthermore, there were several times throughout the reading when I wondered if the book warranted my continued attention due to it containing a smattering of objectionable language and a theme of examining sexuality in small town culture. But after finishing the story and...more
Jessica
My CurledUp review: While the city of Ashland, Alabama, exists in the real world (it is seat of Clay County with a 2000 census population of 1,965), Daniel Wallace has been fictionalizing it and its people since his first novel, Big Fish. Providing as much a sense of place and background as William Faulkner’s Yoknapatawpha County, Ashland is a small-town suburb of Birmingham, Alabama, where folks either get out or die trying. In Wallace’s third and most recent novel, The Watermelon King, readers...more
Rusty
I remember my mother wondering why the teachers in our small town stayed only a year or two. My response was that they didn't feel part of the community. How often, I asked, have you invited them to your home. She never had.

This story is about a small town so immersed in its own history and folklore that people do not seem important. The festival revolves around the area's greatest crop - watermelon. One man, who has never had a woman, is selected as the watermelon king and rides in the parade w...more
Rebecca
If I were to write one of those cheesy quotes for the front of books, my quote for The Watermelon King would be "Storytelling as storytelling should be!"

I picked up this book thanks to a suggestion on Things Mean A Lot, a book blog I've been checking out lately. The blogger there had nothing but good things to say about Daniel Wallace's writing and storytelling ability. And with such a glowing review how could I resist?

One of the actual cheesy quotes on the back of this book compared Wallace to...more
This started out quite good, I thought. I enjoyed the little snippets of story that the main character was getting from other people, all told in their own voices. I was curious where the story would go, waiting to learn who Thomas's father was. I didn't forsee who it turned out to be (though I usually don't try and guess plots in books as I read them), but for some reason I wasn't really surprised. About halfway through, the story started to lag for me. This isn't a long book, but it felt that...more
Kerry
I really enjoyed Big Fish so I was very interested in checking out another Daniel Wallace book. The Watermelon King did not disappoint. It had more than a few similarities to Big Fish (at least in tone and in a couple of the characters) and it blended mythology, tall tales and a search for reality and identity in a very engaging way.

The way the author structured the book, first as a series of short interviews reconstructing the events that lead to Thomas' birth, then with his own story of how a...more
Gianna Mosser
This was a much livelier and darker novel than I expected. It is a wholly original plot about a Southern town's tradition of control and sexual policing, exposure and shame. The character of Lucy, as seen through the town's different inhabitants, brings the conflict to a fervor through her simple kindness toward someone even worse off than she is.
Tung
The third of Daniel Wallace’s published works, and I only read it out of a sense of completion since I’d read the other two Wallace works. In this book, Wallace’s desire to be creative is overwhelmed by his lack of talent as a writer. The story is about a man returning to his grandfather’s and mother’s backwoods Southern hometown and trying to unravel the mystery of their past. The watermelon festival is a town tradition integral to the story. The plot is ridiculous, the characters unsympathetic...more
Christie
Dec 19, 2007 Christie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: myth lovers who like bizarre fiction
this is one of the strangest and most unique tales ever. set in the south - told from multiple points of view, as is typical for Wallace - and a host of eccentric characters. in short, it is a tale of a boy searching for the answers about his mother - this journey takes him south to an odd town looking to rejuvenate their ancient harvest/fertility ritual and sagging economy. the mother plays a significant role in the tale - everyone who met her was in love with her. A definite must-read. Tim Bur...more
Erinn Maine
Big Fish is hands down my favorite movie, so I wanted to read something by the author. I thought reading Big Fish was too obvious a choice, so I went with The Watermelon King. Wallace definitely brought me back into his world quickly and I was entranced. I felt the hazy over-exposed light of Tim Burton. But the twists and turns and plot choices similar to a Lifetime movie or episode of SVU, pulled me out just as quickly. But, overall, I appreciate things where redheads are prominently featured a...more
C.E.
I wanted to like this book. Really, I did. Ultimately though, I never connected to what I'm sure Wallace wanted me to see as a bunch of quirky, colorful characters and what I think is intended as some sort of magical realism/modern day fairy tale. In the end, although there are moments, I found it dull--not in the "I can't stand to read this book" so much as the "I just finished this book and I'm already forgetting it existed" sense. Well written and original,just not particularly memorable.
Heather
This is one effed up little tall tale, right here. It's tricky because it's kind of predictable, except the one thing that is totally not predictable. I gasped out loud when that thing happened, and read the next three pages with my mouth hanging open. (I know, because my sister was sitting beside me and she said, "You gasped out loud and now you're reading with your mouth hanging open.")

I really enjoyed this book. But then, I've always had a soft spot for the village idiot.
Annie
Aug 09, 2008 Annie rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
I thought that this book was going to be really good. I loved "Big Fish" and looked forward to this book with anticipation. I love how Daniel Wallace weaves in and out of the story.

I have to say that I hated this book, after finding out who the father was, and wished I had never read it. I would recommend anyone interested NOT to read it.

This story could have been a beautiful story. Instead it rolled ungracefully downhill into the gutter.
Keith Davis
A young man returns to the small Alabama town of his birth and encounters a weird "wicker-man" like fertility ritual revolving around the town's watermelon festival. The revelation of the identity of the young man's father seemed tacked on for shock value, and the magic-realist ending seemed a little much for novel that had been fairly realistic up to that point, but even with those qualms it still a very good novel.
Zoidberg
This book started really strong. Having the characters speak to me and tell me little bits of the mystery of the Watermelon King and what happened to the main character's mother made me want to keep reading. The mystery is quite surreal, but The Watermelon King is quite a good story if you enjoy the unexpected, along with rich characters and a good mystery.
Jamie L
Wallace also wrote Big Fish. I never read the book, but the movie was certainly quirky. The characters in The Watermelon King are quirky, but the story doesn't get weird until the end. It was a light read. If someone asked me if they should read it, I wouldn't say no, but I probably wouldn't recommend it, either.

cheers!!
Ryan Major
Daniel Wallace is a great writer for the common man but this entry leaves me a bit puzzled as to what to do with the story I've just read. While the characters are engaging, the ritual that the book is based around is almost so puzzling it is hard to accept that this story takes place in Mr. Wallace's usually tangible world.
Alex
Very different. Liked the movie Big Fish so I bougt this book YEARS ago. Finally got to it and it wasn't what I expected. Good thing I waited because the theme is something I probably wouldnt have been ready for until now. very adult. somewhat funny and somewhat disturbing. overall a quick easy read.
Janice
Looking through my book shelves last night, I realized that I hadn't finished this ... so I've read it again, and wonder if a movie will be made ... as Wallace's "Big Fish"

a mythic tale of identity and race and sexuality ... couldn't put it down once I started ... a surprise and unexpected ending
Sara
Daniel Wallace is sort of pleasant to read for Summer, when you have the time, and are alright with the knowledge that Wallace has a fairly predictable approach, once you've read a couple of his books already. You get the South, magical realism, and people who generally end up relatively well.
L.
What a strange book! So, there's this town in Alabama that grew the best watermelons in the world, until 19 years ago when the Watermelon Festival was ruined because there was no king.

Now, though, things may be changing back.

The whole thing is sad and weird and funky and bizarre. But good.
Melyssa
This is a story I may have to think about for a while. There was an undercurrent of creepy. A lot of the characters were interesting and equal parts unreal and believable. Some of the story twists were expected, but others were not, so it kept me wondering what would happen next.
Kathy
I loved the movie Big Fish so I read another one of Daniel Wallace's books. It had the same style as Big Fish but I did not like the end of this book. It is a quick read and it has interesting characters but the end made me give it two stars instead of more.
Emily
Magical realism that didn't seem very magical to me. I read it because I got it free when I worked at Houghton Mifflin, otherwise I don't think I would have bothered given that I read Big Fish first and wasn't really on the lookout for anything else by the author.
  • Strange Fruit
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • Blast from the Past (Kinky Friedman, #11)
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • The Slave Community: Plantation Life in the Antebellum South
  • I'm Eve
  • Salamander
  • L'herbe rouge
  • The Battle of New Orleans: Andrew Jackson and America's First Military Victory
  • Outrageous Fortune
  • Horseman, Pass By
  • Chance
Daniel Wallace is author of five novels, including Big Fish (1998), Ray in Reverse (2000), The Watermelon King (2003), Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician (2007), and most recently The Kings and Queens of Roam (2013).

He has written one book for children, Elynora, and in 2008 it was published in Italy, with illustrations by Daniela Tordi. O Great Rosenfeld!, the only book both written and illustra...more
More about Daniel Wallace...
Big Fish Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician The Kings and Queens of Roam Ray in Reverse The Cat's Pajamas

“There are those rare people who function like human magnets, who are individually so attractive – or repellent, depending on the situation – that a considerable amount more seems to happen to them, and likewise, their presence in a certain place makes more seem to happen around them. They’re magical people. They have special power.” 8 likes