Start by marking “Lord of the Shadows (Second Sons Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Lord of the Shadows (Second Sons Trilogy, #3)

Lord of the Shadows (Second Sons Trilogy #3)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,605 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The exciting conclusion of the Second Sons trilogy. Marked as a traitor, Dirk Provin must find a way to expose the truth before his enemies can consume him. Original.
Published June 1st 2004 by Spectra Books (first published September 24th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of the Shadows

Jul 31, 2014 James rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2
Shelves: fantasy
This is the reason I read; books like this are so special, so beautifully perfect, that they make the word awe inspiring seem banal and lame. I am sitting here, writing this, stunned by the brilliance that I have just read. It is almost like my world has been changed by it's reading, that I have somehow become divorced from reality and am now floating free just staring at it all in stunned ecstasy tempered by the horrible knowledge that it is over - that this masterpiece of fiction is done with, ...more
What a series! Phew!

The last book brings all the loose ends together very satisfyingly. I left a big gap between book 2 and this one, but I could pick it up without a problem because the characters and situations are clearly expressed and memorable. Marqel moves up to her true place as the most evil person on the planet - one of the worst baddies I've ever read - and everybody know it except the two people who matter. Dirk Provin finds his entire intricate plan at risk because of her, and to top
started 21/01/10

This was a great ending to the trilogy. The thought that has gone into creating these books is amazing and it definitely kept me intrigued right up until the whole plot was revealed. I had a pretty good idea what was coming next as it was wrapping up, but only in the final book. The second one kept me guessing.

I love the way it all played out in the end and I can see how all the politcal and religious machinations all fit together. Briliant.

This is fast becoming one of my favouri
Aug 10, 2011 Mary added it
A better ending than beginning to the series all in all. Its was VERY satisfying to see all of Dirk's machinations come to fruition, and to have everything turn out neatly and perfectly with all of the right people doing all of the things they should and need to be doing. And that's why fantasy is so great, its the only place that that ever happens.
Sarah Spelbring
I've been wanting to reread this series for a few months now and its just as good as I remember it. It's more political and religious intrigue rather than straight up fighting which makes it more interesting (at least for me).

Lion of Senet sets up the world where everything takes place, who's in power, who's not in power, how and why. Then the author throws a wrench into the works and upsets the entire dynamic and spends the next two books fixing everything.

I will be reading this series again.
In "Lord of the Shadows," Love will bloom in the most unexpected places, new alliances will be forged and secrets will come to light. There will be a war that will pit one brother against another and many will suffer the price. Once you finish reading this book and realize that you've come to the end of the trilogy, it will feel like losing a friend.
Byron Smith
Just can't stop reading this one. I've read it over and over so many times. I just love how Dirk actually uses his intelligence all of the time, despite how often things go awry.
I think it's better than the first two, but that's just my opinion.
All I have to say about this book, is wow!!!!!! This is one of the most emotional roller coasters I have been on my life!!!! There are not enough words in the English language to convey my feelings on some of these crazy, obnoxious, andd ambitious and honorable characters!! All I have to say about the series is I have one big giant headache after my meetings and knowledge of Dirk proven therefore all I have to say about him, is you clever son of a bitch!! That's all have to say bucks entire seri ...more
This series culminates in one of the most clever and satisfying stories I have ever read.
It is a sad and unfortunate fact that the vast majority of series I’ve read have ended on a sour or disappointing note. It’s partly the reason I dislike series so much. The good news is that Jennifer Fallon is an anomaly in the trend. I love her Second Sons Trilogy with a love that is more than love, and Lord of the Shadows was just about perfect. If you like courtly intrigue and political fantasy as much as I do, this is not at all a series to pass up. I mean it.

Basically, Lord of the Shadows i
Hariharan Gopalakrishnan
I am reviewing the entire series together as I read all the books in a couple of long sittings. The 'Genius protagonist' trope has been beaten to death across various media ( from procedural cop shows to fantasy novels), but Jennifer Fallon proves that all it takes is some well developed characters and an intricately plotted story line to breathe life into the cliche.Most of the important characters are well constructed and believable, with Dirk Provin joins elite club ( with members such as Cor ...more
Shari  Mulluane
The third installment of the Second Sons Trilogy is the best book of all. The pages just flew by and the plot twisted, turned and kept me on the edge of my chair. Every time I thought I had a glimmer of where the story was going, I discovered that I did not have a clue. Marqel and Eryk both, one by sheer malice, the other by pure innocence, keep Dirk on his toes as they upset his carefully laid plans at every turn. But he rises to each challenge and even as he betrays, he manages to save the one ...more
Lukas Lovas
It was a good ending of an exciting trilogy. I was a bit disappointed by Kirsh, who acted rather blindly and stupidly. But...I suppose there are blind and stupid people in real life too, so I can't criticize this book for it's realism :) Other than that, it was very readable and I liked it a lot :)
I read this book few years ago but I have to say that I've never experienced anything like it. And sadly after that until now I've been looking for books that are similar to it but I'm not finding any.
Jennifer Fallon is an incredible writer, she made me fall in love with Dirk Provin. He is this smart yet imperfect protagonist who gets to do things he is not technically proud of to reach what he needs and save his kingdom.
The book is well written and the author has this technique of making you w
Keith Hilton
Very convoluted but predictably exciting.

Lots of intrigue, action & exciting to bring Ranadon back to the light!! Overall an excellent fantasy action read! Best of the 3 book series.
Mandy Marek
A good series that I would enjoy listening to again. The narrator did an awesome job.
I loved it! See book one for my personal opinion.
Soraya Hekate
I'm glad I picked up this trilogy, because this book--and, to be honest, this entire series--is one of the better ones that I've read. I'm just sad that it's over, and with the series consisting of three 500-page books, I didn't think it would move so quickly.

I heartily recommend the trilogy to both science fiction and fantasy (especially political fantasy) readers. You won't be disappointed.
The first 2 books in this series were so-so; but the third book is where it all happens. I really enjoyed it. I found that the political intrigues believably complex and the characters believably flawed. Right up until the last 30 pages, I still had no idea how exactly it was all going to work out. But it did.
Really enjoyed these!
So much happens in the last book of this series! Jennifer Fallon's ability to devise intriguing characters and compelling stories leaves you in a state of wonderment as you ponder the moral dilemmas and fates presented. The book concludes the series with true satisfaction and leaves you wishing for more :)
Steve Lane
Great end to the trilogy. Was a little predictable, but still kept me in it.
Matti Tornio
Best of the series by a small stretch. Enjoyable read even if majority characters are highly unlikable and their motivations make little sense. The plot seemed little bit obvious, it was pretty clear what was going to happen from early on in the book.
Jun 23, 2008 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans, Sci-Fi fans
Recommended to Eric by: Nick Bozenko
Shelves: fantasy
An excellent, fulfilling conclusion to a fantastic trilogy. I was unable to put these books down, and read both Eye of the Labyrinth and Lord of the Shadows in the same weekend -- and they are both over 500 pages long.
I liked the political infighting in this series. The characters were a bit 2-dimensional and melodramatic. For some reason, all the female characters seemed emotional and impulsive and Tia, for one, bordered on TSTL.
Cena Keegan
What a Book!
A perfect ending to a perfect trilogy!

I couldn't be more happy with the ending.

It was full of surprises and even new characters in the last book.
A nice tale. Didn't expect to be done with the series so fast. Quick read wish it had more. Can't wait to see what Jennifer Fallon puts out next.
One of my overall fav. series. Not what I would call "fantasy" (no magic or dragons or anything), just a lot of intrigue and fascinating characters!
  • The Shadow of Tyr (Mirage Makers, #2)
  • Revenge (Trinity, #2)
  • The Nameless Day (The Crucible, #1)
  • The Soul Weaver (The Bridge of D'arnath, #3)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
  • The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6)
Fallon is the author of 17 full-length bestselling novels and a number of published short stories in genres ranging from horror to science fiction.

In addition to 4 complete fantasy series - The Demon Child trilogy, The Hythrun Chronicles, the Second Sons Trilogy,The Tide Lords Quadrilogy and the Rift Runners series - Fallon has written both a tie-novel and short fiction for the TV series, Stargat
More about Jennifer Fallon...

Second Sons Trilogy (3 books)
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • Eye of the Labyrinth (Second Sons Trilogy, #2)
Medalon (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #1) Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #2) Harshini (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #3) The Immortal Prince (Tide Lords, #1) Wolfblade (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #1)

“I want to find out if lions are real” 0 likes