Start by marking “Shadow Music (Highlands' Lairds, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Music (Highlands' Lairds, #3)

Shadow Music (Highlands' Lairds #3)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,029 Ratings  ·  478 Reviews
Although Gabrielle, the last of her royal line, had been promised in marriage to a stranger by King John, she was in love with Colm McHugh, a fearsome warrior. Gabrielle is the keeper of a powerful secret that could plunge the highland kingdom into chaos. Even so, their love is so powerful that they risk their lives to stay together, even as hidden enemies and mounting dan ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published December 1st 2008 by Books on Tape (first published December 26th 2007)

LibraryLass
May 10, 2008 LibraryLass rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
3.5 stars for this one. I actually enjoyed this book for the most part. I think it was because after reading so many negative reviews my expectations were extremely low. So maybe others were disappointed after having high expectations. Yes it is great to see Garwood doing a historical again., but there were missing elements to the story. It was 'likeable' Although Colm and Gabriel as individuals were great, there connection took a long while in the book. The sex was non-existant for 3/4 of the b ...more
Misfit
Aug 20, 2008 Misfit rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In this sequel of sorts to Garwood's Ransom, Princess Gabrielle of St. Biel, a daughter of an English Baron, is sent by King John to marry an older highland Laird to keep peace between the borders (??!! more on this later). Two of John's scheming Barons with their nefarious (and ridiculous) schemes get involved and Gabrielle's intended is murdered, she is disgraced as a wanton woman and disinherited and banned from England (this from one woman accusing her of entering a wounded man's bedroom??). ...more
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I have to say, while I liked the book, I didn't love it. It was a tad disappointing having just read the other 2 books in this series as well as the 2 books from Laird's Fiancees.

It could have been excellent, but there were too many people to keep track of and surprisingly, the storyline/plot was weak. I didn't get drawn into the Highland world as I did in Garwood's previous books, and did not feel the connection with the characters as I did in the past.

Both the H/H were ... weak, in my opinion
Brandi

Welcome to The Book Geek's monthly feature, affectionately called The Genre Spotlight. It's where we explore and choose one of the myriad genres. We'll showcase it by having each Book Geek read and review at least one, but possibly a few books belonging to that month's chosen genre.

We're hoping to expand our reading horizons to genre’s we haven’t or have barely read, and, hopefully, usher in gems our lives have been missing out on.

For sizzling August, our spotlight is on Romance.
Recently I re
Arlene
After going through an extensive paranormal book reading fest, I felt it was time to dive into something different, and I decided on a historical fiction novel by Julie Garwood. I’ve enjoyed a few of her books in the past and have found her light and somewhat mischievous writing is the perfect antidote to a brain that has been on vamp!re cr@ck for months.

Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed in this novel and surprised at how far she veered from her normally formulaic and predictable plots an
Patti TheLoveJunkee
Looking back on this review 6 years later, this must have been one of my first reviews because...SPOILERS AHOY! But it's been so long I dont' know what to cut out. So be warned. SPOILERS.

I picked up Shadow Music because I'd recently read The Bride and loved it. I figured I'd like this one too (plus, the cover was safe, no half nekkid people in a scandalous embrace on it). This was a great story. I think I have a soft spot for Highlanders, or maybe forced marriages, or ladies whose reputations ha
Aybəniz Əzimova
Jun 26, 2015 Aybəniz Əzimova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tarihi-aşk
Colm'un davranışlarındaki anormalliğe gelin lütfen. Yorumum aslleyla.blogspot.com ve ya asliseymen.blogspot.com adreslerinde. :)
FlibBityFLooB
Before starting this book, I had read some reviews that made it out to be a horrific Julie Garwood novel. In truth, I didn't think it was that bad. Maybe because I was expecting such a stinker going in?? I actually enjoyed the story :)

True, it wasn't as epic of a romance as her other Highlander books. And, once again, the title doesn't really match the book. I think that I would have named this book As You Say instead of Shadow Music. What shadow? What music? I don't get it. Weird title.

The boo
Zeek
Oct 24, 2015 Zeek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 2007 LG went back to her historical romance roots with Shadow Music after already transitioning to romantic suspense.

I had a feeling while reading this it sorta was setting up a novel with a modern setting to come later but I could be wrong- still, it held my interest to read it fairly fast. I couldnt' shake the feeling, however, that Shadow Music felt more of a homage to her older novels- or worse, a bone thrown to her former fans.

In Shadow Music we get the story of the beautiful Lad
Kusanagi
May 05, 2016 Kusanagi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Ok je n'avais pas spécialement sommeil mais je me suis couchée à 5 heures du matin pour finir ce livre....
jai vraiment beaucoip aimé non seulement la relation Gabrielle / Colm, mais aussi la façon dont le récit se déroule....avec une première partie plus centrée sur Lady Gabrielle et ses problèmes et ensuite la vie dans le clan....sans enlèvements ou autre péripéties finales pour réunir nos héros (enfin si y'en à une sur les 4 dernières page mais elle sert plus à conclure le destin d'un des méch
Anna
If you like Julie Garwood, you'll like "Shadow Music", but you won't be challenged or surprised by any of the events in this book, set in 13th century England and Scotland.
RNOCEAN
Jul 17, 2009 RNOCEAN rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Throughout her acclaimed writing career, Julie Garwood has captivated readers with characters who are compelling, daring, and bursting with life. Now one of the most popular novelists of our time proudly returns to her beloved historical romance roots–in a thrilling tale of love, murder, adventure, and mystery set against the haunting landscape of medieval Scotland.
For Princess Gabrielle of St. Biel, Scotland is a land of stunning vistas, wild chieftains, treacherous glens, and steep shadows–sku
Emily

King John loves manipulating the pawns before him, always looking for an arrangement that benefits him. John is one of many admirers of the exquisite beauty Princess Gabrielle of St. Biel, if it wouldn't have caused disharmony with his allies he would have taken her for himself as a mistress. Instead King John arranges a marriage that will insert peace in the Highlands, with a gentle laird.

Gabrielle never meets her groom, instead she ends up holding a secret and having those she truste
Holly
Feb 28, 2012 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May have slight spoilers.

Shadow Music is the third and as far as I know finale novel in Julie Garwood’s Highlands' Lairds series, again though it is always possible she may come back to it.

In this novel we meet Princess Gabrielle of St. Biel and Laird Colm MacHugh.

They meet though Liam, Colm’s brother, in a way, as Lady Gabrielle came across and saved him while on her way to marry another Laird in the Highlands.

Colm, a feared and powerful Laird, looking for his brother receives news that he is
Tina
Mar 08, 2008 Tina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I closed this book, I asked myself "What the hell did I just read?"

I have not enjoyed Julie Garwood's foray into contemporary romantic suspense. Not at all. So when I saw that she was not only returning to her historical romance roots but also to her favored setting in Scotland, I was thrilled.

This was the same woman who has written The Bride and The Secret and so many other funny, warm, poignant romances with great alpha heroes and quirky fun heroines. I have read and re-read all of her ea
Shelley
Aug 13, 2012 Shelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
I'm soooo disappointed!! Here I was eagerly awaiting Shadow Music, Julie Garwood's first historical novel in years. I can't believe it - what a disappointment! Where was the romance? Where was the passion? Where was the plot? I'm still trying to figure out why Gabrielle even fell in love with Colm! I am such a huge fan of Julie Garwood's earlier historical romances, and I was ecstatic when I found out about Shadow Music. I've never been a fan of her contemporary novels and I had high expectation ...more
Taty_1973
Apr 04, 2014 Taty_1973 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shadow Music (Highlands' Lairds, #3) by Julie Garwood

Shadow Music is the third book in the "Highlands' Lairds" series.

I loved the first two books very much and I was disappointed to read so many bad reviews. Honestly, I loved this one too. A lot. It was great when old characters were mentioned and I really enjoyed all the new additions (and there were many in this one).

The only thing that I really, really wanted to read about and wasn't there (view spoiler)
ilknur a.k.a. iko ◬
zeus aşkına!
julie hala yorulmadın mı ya bu entrika dolu kurguya... ben okurken yoruldum, ve fazla sevdim.
garwood'da bir şey fark ettim, guzel ve yakışıklılar hep iyiler, ingiliz-iskoç farketmez; nerede bi' kötü adam ya da kadın var, çirkin... bana da öyle gelmiş olabilir. bir de genel olarak ingilizlere arada gömüyor mu, yoksa gerçekleri söylediğinden mi böyle bilemiyorum.
neyse canım; tek kelime, çok güzeldi ama yine de colm'un despotluğunu daha çok okusam daha çok sevinik olacaktım. fazla olay
Lynn
Mar 21, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romanticsPrinces
The people who love reading romantic novels will agree this book has everything a great book needs. There is mystery, action, drama, love, lust and revenge.
Princess Gabrielle has traveled to the Arbane Abbey for her wedding. Her life is thrown to the wolves so to speak. She needs a protector, but will Laird MacHugh step up to the plate.
Two men lust after her, one because of her beauty and the other for gold. Is there really a treasure of gold bigger than anyone can imagine? Will she find true lo
Laura V.
Muy aburrido.

Estos chicos no se conocen hasta casi la mitad del libro. Cuando lo hacen, no pasan momentos juntos que valgan la pena (en realidad apenas se ven). Está él ladrándole órdenes cuando la ve y ella huyendo por sentirse ofendida/rechazada/demostrar un punto cada dos por tres.

Es lo menos romántico que le he leído a esta mujer. Judith e Iain serán mis favoritos forevah.

La guardia real de Gabrielle es lo único que vale la pena Chicos respetuosos, admirables y valientes, nada de esa mierd
Joana

To be fair, this one had a lower rating because I had to compare it to the previous 2 books of the series...that I completely LOVED!
I enjoyed this one but I thought something was missing...still Gabrielle was a kick ass heroine!
Elizabeth Bush
Feb 05, 2014 Elizabeth Bush rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read by Garwood many years ago. And hands down my favorite to this day!
fleurette
I haven't read Julia Garwood historicals for some time. To be honest, I have never been her fan. Her heroines were too silly for my taste and they were lacking in independence. Gabrielle, the heroine in Shadow Music, is not an exception. And Colm, the hero, is as possessive and bossy as all the other Garwood men.

This is a highlander medieval romance. And once again, both this period and the Scottish characters are not my favourite.

The beginning is rather slow. Gabrielle and Colm meet for the f
Aquit
May 23, 2009 Aquit rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Noone, it wasn't a book at all
Recommended to Aquit by: Noone, not surprising there
I remember going to a book club and everybody was taking turn cooing over "Shadow Music" when it got to my turn. I took one look at these ladeis and blurted out, "I hated it. There was no plot. What the hell happened to Julie Garwood? What the hell was this crap?" They all look at me in horror and finally one lady said, "I thought I was the only one who hated it."

Julie Garwood, what the heck happened to you? She used to be one of my favorite authors because she created masterpiece and fantasies
Ns
Aug 16, 2010 Ns rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shadow Music takes us back to the Medieval times where fierce warriors and protectors reside along with perilous foes. Different times, different kinds of people who are less civilized but more adventurous -all elements that make for an exciting read. While some parts were that, many other parts did not hold my attention.

The idea and people of the story were very likable. Princess Gabrielle of St. Biel is the heroine of the story. She is strong, smart, independent, and beautiful. A true catch, w
Thenia
This is the third and last installment in the Highlands' Lairds series, which, although enjoyable, is probably my least favorite of the three.

It took a while for the story to actually begin and the mystery of the hidden treasure was not much of a mystery since I figured it out since the very beginning. That, combined with my lack of interest about the barons' motives, maneuvering and points of view in general, mostly balanced out the excitement of the romance of the story for me.

There are still
Persis Menon
I think the only reason I even stuck with this book was because it was read by Davina Porter! Or I would have left the book after the first two chapters. The way Gabrielle is used and abused is atrocious, and to think that people actually treated their women like that is abominable, to say the least. Other than that, it was an OK kind of book.
Christine Bode
I confess that I've been reading a lot of Diana Gabaldon's novels lately (she's a tough author to best in my world) and as I have a love for Scottish Highlanders and medieval times / historical fiction, I thought I'd give this book a read. I was really disappointed in it because the story was so freakin' cheesy, predictable and the characters spoke as if they were from the 20th century and not the 12th. It was just incredibly LAME. I kept hoping that it would get better but it was nothing more t ...more
Tracy
Jun 02, 2016 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and thought the MCs were great.
Ellen Gonzalez
I had never heard of Julie Garwood, but I wanted a new book to read, and after browsing books at Goodreads decided Shadow Music sounded like something I would enjoy. I read it fairly quickly, most likely because it was rather simple. I was expecting something full of history, but instead it seemed written by someone rather young and inexperienced. I was surprised to see that Garwood has written a number of books, many of which received much better reviews than this one.
I discovered this book w
Mansfield Public ...: Shadow Music Review 1 14 Jun 26, 2013 07:08AM
Let's Talk About ...: Shadow Music (Highlands' Lairds #3) 1 10 Apr 08, 2013 01:18PM
  • Conquered by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #4)
  • The Devil Wears Plaid
  • To Catch a Highlander (MacLean Curse, #3)
  • Highlander Ever After (Nvengaria, #3)
  • The Viper (Highland Guard, #4)
  • Seduction of a Highland Lass (McCabe Trilogy, #2)
  • Highland Heat (Highlander, #3)
  • Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8 & MacEnroy, #2)
  • The Sinner (Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • The Highlander's Bride (The McTiernays, #1)
  • Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood of the Sword #2/MacAllister, #1)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...

Highlands' Lairds (3 books)
  • The Secret (Highlands' Lairds #1)
  • Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2)

“Gabrielle turned to Colm. “These men will be of interest to you.”
Colm looked them over. “Why is that?” he asked.
With her back to the infidels, she whispered, “They like to dig holes.”
17 likes