Start by marking “Monkey Brain Sushi: New Tastes in Japanese Fiction” as Want to Read:
Monkey Brain Sushi: New Tastes in Japanese Fiction

Monkey Brain Sushi: New Tastes in Japanese Fiction

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Cyberpunk, sci-fi and erotica all meld together in this collection of cutting-edge short stories. The authors tend towards near-zero emotional chill, stunned urbanity and a shiny kind of violence.
Published December 1st 2002 by Kodansha International (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Monkey Brain Sushi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey Brain Sushi

Courtney
I have a thing for short stories. I love writing them. I love reading them.
I also am somewhat of an (un?)closeted Japanophile.

Thus Monkey Brain Sushi caught my eye at a discount book store.

I have to admit that a handful of these stories were somewhat too odd/creepy/oversexualized for my taste, but this collection houses a few real gems.

My personal favorite was Mazelife by Kyoji Kobayashi. It's a beautifully crafted story about a man seeking God, who quickly becomes disappointed with all the avai...more
Ippino
Questa antologia presenta otto racconti ed un fumetto, scritti tutti tra il 1984 ed il 1988.
Tra questi, spiccano per tipologia "La ragazza", unico fantascientifico del lotto, e "Il giorno più buio del Giappone", il fumetto appunto.
Rispetto alla qualità, invece, si fanno notare il geniale ed ironico "Esame di ammissione di giapponese per studenti zelanti", l'originale "Il diario di Yamada" ed il pimpante "Sproing!".
Non è una raccolta eccezionale, anzi: alcuni racconti sono soporifieri e mancano d...more
Michael
I stumbled across "Monkey Brain Sushi" (what a title, right?) on the shelves of the local Half Price Books back in the mid-90s. "New tastes in Japanese fiction" the cover declared. Well hey, I enjoy manga and anime, so why not? Plus it was five bucks--can't go wrong there.

I'll echo the comments of several other reviewers here in that I was disappointed to discover that many of what I thought were stand-alone short stories were, in fact, just chapters or excerpts from longer novels. That's not to...more
Kate
(Original pub date: 1991)

This is a collection of "modern" (compiled in 1991) Japanese short stories. Except, many of them aren't even short stories, I discovered, but excerpts from novellas. What the heck was the editor thinking?!? It destroys the integrity of the work if you cut half of it out; there's almost no point in reading it at all. It's like a sampler of various author's writing styles, presented without any possibility of deriving some meaning from the work.

Some of it was ok, and most...more
Brittany
Oddly, I was given this book by one of my high school English teachers after expressing an interest in Japan and Japanese literature--and these are a collection of tales I find myself going back and reading over and over again. They are all modern to post modern, and as such have intriguing and often sexual themes from authors who are either quite popular in translation now or have yet to be published otherwise in English. Amy Yamada's Kneel Down and Kiss My Boots remains one of my favorite stor...more
Terri Jacobson
This collection of short stories, published in 1990, features stories written by what was then the young vanguard of Japanese fiction. The writers were born between 1947 and 1966, and were considered the best of the new generation that came of age in the 1980s. The stories are interesting from this historical perspective. They are quirky, unusual, and definitely would not be to everyone's taste. I enjoyed this collection because I have a special interest in Japanese fiction.
Kyle Muntz
This anthology was an amazing surprise. It was full of the kind of contemporary Japanese writing I've always suspected existed, but haven't seen much of since so little of it is translated. I originally came across this book hunting for obscure translations of Genichiro Takahashi (his piece alone is worth checking the book out), but there some other great finds as well, especially Kyoji Kobayashi and Masahiko Shimada.
Isaac

This is mostly shivery modernist nothingness but includes a few incisive, worthwhile stories, including an incredibly dead-on satire of multiple-choice reading comprehension tests, of all things. Worth picking up just for that.
Roberta
Ma, non era quello che mi aspettavo. Due o tre bei racconti, il manga ha un bel finale, ma non mi ha coinvolto come altri romanzi o racconti. Forse devo rimanere sulla letteratura giapponese standard.
Raditya Dika
a collection of angry, experimental writing of contemporary japanese writers. i hate how murakami wrote in this one. dwarfs and all, this kind of stuff to, ehm, artly-advanced for me.
Sae-chan
Well, it's true that excerpting from a book doesn't do any justice to the book. But what can I say, excerpt or no excerpt, I really liked them. They are the edges of edgy.
Paul
An excellent introduction to the world of contemporary Japanese fiction... A few stories are less stellar than others but overall an excellent collection of short stories.
Clark
Spotty good/bad. Another book I picked up solely for the Murakami short (TV PEOPLE), which upon completion in this case made me feel very uncomfortable.
Jesse
Oct 30, 2008 Jesse is currently reading it
TV People by Haruki Murakami is surreally hilarious and engrossing. Mazelife by Kyoji Kobayahshi is a madcap Stanislaw Lem style take on personal philosophy.
Noah Parks
This is the book that got me interested in Japanese fiction. That was a long time ago and I should reread it as I cant remember a single story.
charlotte Phillips
Japanese contemporary short stories. Includes Haruki Murakami’s “TV People.” Some amazing stories, some really wacky ones.
Christiaan Keaton
Nov 30, 2009 Christiaan Keaton rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves manga & contemporary, edgy fiction.
Recommended to Christiaan by: No one...I sought it out.
I’m thoroughly enjoying this read. It is bizarre, edgy, hilarious & bold…in other words, it’s so me!
Mikael
Jan 20, 2008 Mikael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fluff
one story actually a comic or graphic story for shonen knife groupies/fantagraphics dandipsters
Will E
A grab-bag, and out of date now, but nonetheless an interesting collection of stories.
Katherine
An interesting array of short stories.
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
May
May marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
100luz
100luz marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Mina
Mina marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Hana Seif
Hana Seif marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Marc Jarvis
Marc Jarvis marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • Tattoo Murder Case
  • Acts of Worship: Seven Stories
  • Kappa
  • Tales of Moonlight and Rain
Zen for Cats: Teachings of the Zen Cat Masters Education For Creative Living: Ideas And Proposals Of Tsunesaburo Makiguchi Hear the Wind Sing (The Rat, #1) Underground The Elephant Vanishes