Start by marking “Soldier Boy” as Want to Read:
Soldier Boy

Soldier Boy

2.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  184 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The true story of Jim Martin, the youngest Anzac.

On 28th June 1915, young James Martin sailed from Melbourne on the troopship Berrima, bound ultimately for Gallipoli. He was just 14 years old. This is Jim's extraordinary story of how an inexperienced & enthusiastic school boy became Australia's youngest Anzac.
Published February 15th 2004 by Penguin Global (first published February 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Soldier Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soldier Boy

Potassium (AKA The Queen of Randomness & Wackiness)
I Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book!

This novel, Soldier Boy, written by Anthony Hill is a well written book that takes hold of you and pulls you inside, showing exactly what the Australians went through in the World War 1. This novel, is a true story about a young boy, Jim Martin, the youngest ANZAC. Jim was only 14 years old, although his papers said he was already18, there was no proof of this.

Jim Martin was a normal boy at school in the senior cadets; he was full of adventure and wanted to
JB Rowley
May 27, 2012 JB Rowley rated it it was amazing
Soldier Boy provides us with a well researched and historically accurate picture of Australia at war that is easy to read and makes for an excellent introduction to Anzac.

I still cannot understand the minds of young Australian men who were desperate to go off to war - to be killed and maimed but it seems most chomping at the bit to become soldiers and serve overseas in WWI. Those young men had the courage and the gumption to do something I could not contemplate doing. Some of them were not men,
Xavier
Oct 12, 2015 Xavier rated it it was ok
This book is interesting, let's put it that way.
I went into this book expecting to read a biography of a young boy, thrust into the cold abyss that is war.
Instead I got a bunch of legal documents about a young boy, thrust into the cold abyss that is war, stuffed between two covers.
When I read a book I want to really embrace the character, but their was really nothing here to embrace.
This unfortunately, made me disrespect a book that really needs some respect.
In the saddest parts of the book I e
Mina
Mar 22, 2011 Mina added it
I had to read this book for yr 8, BORING! I reccon this book needs to be read more than twise for you to even get the story! I thought this book was so cinfusing, and not to meantion really boring! Sorry to those people who enjoy these sorta books... dont worry it just MY opinion of the book :p
Bron
Mar 29, 2012 Bron rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK. i loved reading about the youngest anzac and i even did a report on this book.
Jeannie
May 15, 2011 Jeannie rated it liked it
I only read this because of school and i didnt really like it that much.
Tilly Beard
Mar 22, 2011 Tilly Beard rated it it was ok
Ok, if you like depressing stories
Hgtribute
Feb 13, 2016 Hgtribute rated it it was amazing
Soldier boy brought me to tears, it really just comes to show that war does terrible but amazing things to our world and people. The bravery and strength shown by Jim Marrin was inspiring and proves that no matter what age you are that you can make a difference.
Eschutz
Jan 15, 2015 Eschutz rated it really liked it
This book is true amazing please read your in to war and history !
David Drew
This was a great book, have not updated it for a while.
Charlene
Dec 28, 2013 Charlene rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I thought it be a great insight into what it was like and what went through the minds of young men when WW1 broke out. this book should be read by all young australians so they have some sort of idea what boys who were close to their age endured and died far from home.
Keeley Brophy
Jun 18, 2012 Keeley Brophy rated it did not like it
Jessica
Dec 01, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok
The story in itself is sad, but quite good, but the writing style was, to me, really disjointed, and very poor. It didn't enjoy reading this book because of that.
Leina Antoniou
2nd WORST BOOK ever read..... it was so boring maybe people of an older age than 13 may be interested. but 13 year olds think it is terrible. :D
Tom Travers
Mar 15, 2011 Tom Travers rated it it was ok
i strongly disliked this book. very boring and nothing happens. it only has about 12 pages of him actually in turkey on the shores of anzac cove
Emma_Rose
Apr 12, 2010 Emma_Rose rated it liked it
another book i had to read for english, it was okay. i found the story skipped around too much for my liking.
Brandon Meikle
Jun 06, 2011 Brandon Meikle rated it did not like it
REEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amy
Mar 21, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it for some unknown reason. I guess it is close to me and my family:(
James
Mar 15, 2011 James rated it did not like it
Biographys aren't fun to read
Lachlan Kemish
Mar 15, 2011 Lachlan Kemish rated it did not like it
I will never read it again
Lauren Graham
Jun 05, 2011 Lauren Graham rated it it was amazing
i love soldiers and boys.
Cris Wilcox
Jan 06, 2013 Cris Wilcox rated it liked it
recoop reading was ok
Helen
Helen is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2016
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Maya
Maya added it
Apr 05, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Paranvir
Paranvir is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2016
Shannon Moore
Shannon Moore rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Finding Darcy
  • Deep Deceptions (A Game of Chance / Almost Forever)
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
  • Cross My Heart
  • 10 Short Stories You Must Read This Year
  • Business as Unusual
  • Fern Gully
  • Bookmark Days (Girlfriend Fiction, #9)
  • Barbed Wire And Roses
  • The Gallows Curse (CRYPT, #1)
  • Aphrodite's War
  • The Great Divorce
  • Amber Road
  • Trixie Belden Boxed Set #1-#3
  • Me and Rory Macbeath
  • Captured Sun: The Second Highland Home Novel
  • Exodus of the Phoenix
  • The Tea Chest
Anthony Hill was born in Melbourne on 24 May, 1942. In a varied career he has been a newspaper and television reporter, political journalist, antique dealer, speech-writer for Australia's Governor-General, and now full-time author.
More about Anthony Hill...