Start by marking “Soldier Boy” as Want to Read:
Soldier Boy

Soldier Boy

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The true story of Jim Martin, the youngest Anzac.

On 28th June 1915, young James Martin sailed from Melbourne on the troopship Berrima, bound ultimately for Gallipoli. He was just 14 years old. This is Jim's extraordinary story of how an inexperienced & enthusiastic school boy became Australia's youngest Anzac.
Published February 15th 2004 by Penguin Global (first published February 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Soldier Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soldier Boy

Kristen
I Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book!

This novel, Soldier Boy, written by Anthony Hill is a well written book that takes hold of you and pulls you inside, showing exactly what the Australians went through in the World War 1. This novel, is a true story about a young boy, Jim Martin, the youngest ANZAC. Jim was only 14 years old, although his papers said he was already18, there was no proof.

Jim Martin was a normal boy at school in the senior cadets; he was full of adventure and wanted to experie
Mina
Mar 22, 2011 Mina added it
I had to read this book for yr 8, BORING! I reccon this book needs to be read more than twise for you to even get the story! I thought this book was so cinfusing, and not to meantion really boring! Sorry to those people who enjoy these sorta books... dont worry it just MY opinion of the book :p
Tilly Beard
Ok, if you like depressing stories
JB Rowley
Soldier Boy provides us with a well researched and historically accurate picture of Australia at war that is easy to read and makes for an excellent introduction to Anzac.

I still cannot understand the minds of young Australian men who were desperate to go off to war - to be killed and maimed but it seems most chomping at the bit to become soldiers and serve overseas in WWI. Those young men had the courage and the gumption to do something I could not contemplate doing. Some of them were not men,
Charlene
I enjoyed this book. I thought it be a great insight into what it was like and what went through the minds of young men when WW1 broke out. this book should be read by all young australians so they have some sort of idea what boys who were close to their age endured and died far from home.
Keeley Brophy
Jessica
The story in itself is sad, but quite good, but the writing style was, to me, really disjointed, and very poor. It didn't enjoy reading this book because of that.
Leina Antoniou
2nd WORST BOOK ever read..... it was so boring maybe people of an older age than 13 may be interested. but 13 year olds think it is terrible. :D
Tom Travers
i strongly disliked this book. very boring and nothing happens. it only has about 12 pages of him actually in turkey on the shores of anzac cove
Emma_Rose
another book i had to read for english, it was okay. i found the story skipped around too much for my liking.
Bron
I LOVED THIS BOOK. i loved reading about the youngest anzac and i even did a report on this book.
Brandon Meikle
REEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amy
I really enjoyed it for some unknown reason. I guess it is close to me and my family:(
Jeannie
I only read this because of school and i didnt really like it that much.
James
Biographys aren't fun to read
Lachlan Kemish
I will never read it again
Lauren Graham
i love soldiers and boys.
Cris Wilcox
recoop reading was ok
Caylee Wallis
Caylee Wallis is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2014
Rhianne Conway
Rhianne Conway marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa is currently reading it
Nov 18, 2014
Hamish Davidson
Hamish Davidson marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Oct 28, 2014
Kew
Kew added it
Nov 07, 2014
Sofia
Sofia is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
  • Bookmark Days (Girlfriend Fiction, #9)
  • Fern Gully
  • Three Wishes
  • The Gallows Curse (CRYPT, #1)
  • Trixie Belden Boxed Set #1-#3
  • Nona and Me
  • Ben Cousins: My Life Story
  • When You Wake and Find Me Gone
  • Saree
Anthony Hill was born in Melbourne on 24 May, 1942. In a varied career he has been a newspaper and television reporter, political journalist, antique dealer, speech-writer for Australia's Governor-General, and now full-time author.
More about Anthony Hill...
The Burnt Stick Captain Cook's Apprentice Young Digger Harriet The Story of Billy Young