Glass Houses

Glass Houses (Gregor Demarkian #22)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Philadelphia has been plagued by a serial killer dubbed the Plate Glass Killer by the media…until the police finally catch a break: Henry Tyder, the scion of a prominent Main Line family, is found literally with blood on his hands at the scene of the most recent murder. After more than a year of anguish, the city can now rest assured.

But even though Tyder has made a confes...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published 2007)

Julie
First time I've read this author...what I liked was the social commentary that went along with the murder mystery. Also liked the fact I could not solve the mystery ahead of time and she even left one mystery unsolved!
Diane
A serial killer is striking Philadelphia; preying upon middle-aged women. When an unconventional rich man is arrested for the crime, Gregor Demarkian is called in to investigate. I thought this mystery was very well-written, with a lot of plot twists similar to Agatha Christie or other similar writers. I also thought the author had a good style, and she developed the characters well, better than in most mysteries. This is the first book I've read by this author, so I found some of the material o...more
Joyce Lagow
No. 22 in the Gregor Demarkian series.[return][return]Haddam, who varies her plots by exploring new themes, for the first time takes on that of the serial killer. Given that it took her 22 books to get there, it� s surprising, since that was Demarkian� s specialty in the FBI. Nevertheless� she made it with this latest.[return][return]Her last book being such a disappointment, I was more or less steeled for a repeat performance in this book. But it does appear that if Haddam stays off of her main...more
Mary Jo
This one really grabbed me. I like Jane Haddam, but I go up and down from book to book. Many I love (Not a Creature Was Stirring, A Stillness in Bethlehem, Hardscrabble Road, Conspiracy Theory, Somebody Else's Music, to name a few), but others just seem weird to me (Dear Old Dead, Feast of Murder, Quoth the Raven), although I have to say I've read every one. In fact, I pre-ordered this one. Because I am engaged with Gregor's process, not only in his work but in his life.

It's interesting that in...more
Joy
The Plate Glass Killer, says the police department, has been arrested at last! With blood all over him, Henry Tyder claims he did it, did them all. What a disgrace for his sisters, the fabulously wealthy remnants of a Philadelphia Founding Family. Henry lives on the streets because he can't stand his sisters, and because they won't let him have his booze. The catch is that Henry has alibis for some of the Plate Glass killings.

Gregor Demarkian, summoned to save Henry from himself, can't believe w...more
Jessica
Read for a book group I'm to co-lead on Litchfield County (CT) authors. Maybe Haddam's other mysteries are better, but I wasn't impressed with this one. I did like the detective, thought him well-drawn and sympathetic, but there were far too many characters in this novel with little pay off and too much obvious (token) terrain covered: Philadelphia's African American population; its homosexual population; corrupt police force, politicians. The Armenian community was more interesting, less predic...more
Kate
Once again Haddam hits themes of modern culture, and forces the reader to think hard about what is right, with few pat answers. This time the serial killer story brings up issues of property,wealth, chosen homelessness, and foolish assumptions about American culture by those with Right or Left blinders. Gregor Demarkian is also stuck with the puzzle of why Bennis, who has returned, went away in the first place and just what is going on with their relationship. This series gets more enjoyable wit...more
Barbara
One in a detective series about an "Armenian-American Hercule Poirot" in Philadelphia. This one is about a serial killer nicknamed the Plate Glass Killer and is well plotted, though I was able to figure out the guilty party about half way through. Although this book could stand alone, I think having read some of the earlier books in the series made for a comfort level with the cast of characters.
Kyrie
Definitely one of the easier to follow stories. I like it when I can keep the characters sorted out.
Also, I liked it because it took me quite a while to figure out who did what.

The back story with Bennis and Gregor finally made some sense!

Also, the recurring parts with Phillipa Lydgate provided some irritation and comic relief.
Lorin Lee Cary
The review I wrote disappeared from Shelfari, and seemingly from here as well. I liked the book, and was pleased to come across another series of novels featured the same character---in this instance a former FBI profiler of Armenian descent. Interesting plot, characters and development. Good book.
Alline
I keep reading these because I want to know what happens with Bennis, and the priest who has books stacked absolutely everywhere, and the street they live on, even if I can't remember it right now. However, they mystery parts of the book are contrived and kind of dumb..
Meg Benjamin
Jane Haddam is a master--no two ways about it. This starts as a serial killer novel and then becomes something else. As usual it's intricate and requires close reading to figure out. And the end may actually challenge your definition of what a serial killer is.
Kristine
It's been a while since I have read a Gregor Demarkian mystery and I have no idea why I stayed away so long. The characters are complex and interesting as ever. A mystery that kept me guessing to the end and I bet it will keep you guessing too!
Mary Newcomb
It seems that Philadelphia is in the grip of a serial killer. Then Gregor Demarkian is called in and things are not exactly as they seem. I was especially fascinated by how the case was being investigated prior to his involvement.
Pmcdnld2
I was not familiar with this series. It was very convoluted and the resolution was unbelievable, but it was set in Philadelphia and the investigator was an Armenian-American so that was different. Just your basic serial-killer mystery.
Sallie
This was also at my local library, and even though there are a couple of Demarkian mysteries between the last I read and this title, I picked it up to read anyway. Can't do all series in exact order after all..

Mascanlon
Apr 18, 2008 Mascanlon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
I have enjoyed this series for many years and always look forward to a new mystery. This is no exception. Solid story, good writing and new line on Gregor's personal life....contented sigh.
Linda
A good mystery. The main detective in this novel is Gregor Demarkian, an Armenian. The Armenian community, as depited in here is fascinating, lovable and I want to belong to it.
Vi Bauhs
I love Jane Haddam's books. She really gets into her characters and the mysteries are always good ones.
Teresa
Gregor Demarkian is a retired FBI officer who lives in an Armenian neighborhood in Philladelpha.
Sally
I usually like this series, but this plot is overly complex, without any accompanying rewards.
Holly Lu
well-thought out & nicely convoluted--haddam can create very authentically despicable characters.
Mom
Timely plot, but Gregor Demarkian and the cast of characters are an acquired taste.
Eunira
Bennis and Gregor are finally getting there. Let`s see what happens in the next book.
User3162
I like the Gregor Demarkian series.
Binyan Liu
Could not finish it...it's slow moving.
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Aka Orania Papazoglou

Jane Haddam (b. 1951) is an American author of mysteries. Born Orania Papazoglou, she worked as a college professor and magazine editor before publishing her Edgar Award–nominated first novel, Sweet, Savage Death, in 1984. This mystery introduced Patience McKenna, a sleuthing scribe who would go on to appear in four more books, including Wicked, Loving Murder (1985) and Rich,...more
More about Jane Haddam...
Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1) Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2) The Headmaster's Wife (Gregor Demarkian, #20) Cheating at Solitaire (Gregor Demarkian, #23) Blood in the Water (Gregor Demarkian, #27)