The Ages of Gaia: A Biography of Our Living Earth

The Ages of Gaia: A Biography of Our Living Earth

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Earth, James Lovelock proposes, behaves as if it were a superorganism, made up from all the living things and from their material environment. When he first sketched out his brilliant Gaia theory in the 1970s, people around the world embraced it; within a short time Gaia has moved from the margins of scientific research to the mainstream. James Lovelock argues that suc...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1988)

John Weibull
The classic work by James Lovelock introduces us to the Gaia hypothesis that our planet earth is a coherent system of life, self-regulating and shifting, an almost independent living organism.
David Drum
James Lovelock’s The Ages of Gaia, a Biography of the Living Earth, fleshes out his idea that all of life on Earth—including the rocks--is in fact one living self-regulating organism.
Is this even possible? To illustrate how it might work, Lovelock postulates a simple model of light and dark colored daisies, called Daisyworld, where populations of daisies increase and decrease according to how much sunlight the planet receives. His argument moves back to the Archean age approximately 3.6 billion...more
Faye
Initially Lovelock recounts the story of how he came up with the Gaia principle. He is in his fifties and working on instruments that will study the environments of Venus and Mars. His attention is turned toward the Earth and its ability to promote biological life as we know it. Cyanobacteria were the first producers to use sunlight and replicate themselves. Are we recreating the conditions under which they thrived initially in the shallow waters of Lake Champlain?
He talks about the successful...more
Dan
This is the second book written by Lovelock and the Gaia hypothesis and I enjoyed them both. Even after reading two books on the topic I still have trouble explaining to others just what it is. I do believe that the idea of a living Earth is a extremely beneficial of observing the planet and to me that is what this idea is all about. The books starts with a lot of rather in depth questioning and speculating on how life has effected the Earth, particularity it's atmosphere over geologic time. It...more
Benjamin
This book was okay. It got me interested in the beginnings of life on earth, and now I have a whole stack of books about that next to my bed, so that is good. Lovelock is a bit of a nut, though. I'm not a scientist so the Gaia idea doesn't threaten some deep need to keep my discipline separate from some other discipline. It's ironic that environmentalists are into his Gaia trip, when he's all into nuclear power and keeps referring to CFCs as harmless. I love the chapter on Mars though. Lately, I...more
Mason
Fairly complex in its scientific jargon but very illuminating if you like revolutionary ideas. Most scientists will dismiss you immediately when you bring up Gaia but the ideas are just as well based on evidence as the foundations of geology, climatology, or physics. This brings all of those together and that is what needs to happen. To much science is carried out in isolated disciplines which don't know what eacho ther are talking about. Great read but surprisingly difficult.
Jen
Apr 03, 2011 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: science
I viewed the 'save the planet' bandwagon differently since reading this. The planet will protect itself, it is mankind that will disappear if it continues to use up all that is needed for its survival. But Daisyworld itself will self heal and continue long after our species have self destructed. I will file this under 'science' but it does raise many philosophical questions too.
Mark
Aug 05, 2012 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in the Earth Sciences
Recommended to Mark by: Me
Lovelock tries to make a stronger case for the Earth as a living system (Gaia Hypothesis) with the use of the, e.g., computer
'Daisy' model. Also includes an interesting chapter near the end of the book on how one might seed or tera-form Mars.
Joseph Gendron
The book was a very good introduction to GAIA and how it has changed over the eons. Lots of food for thought sprinkled throughout the book along with a good dose of science.
Dereck
Aug 27, 2007 Dereck rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, sift
This was an amazing eye opener. You'll read this, and you'll either think the guy is an absolute nut, or you'll be amazed and never look at the earth the same again.
Amy
New perspective on Mother Earth -- truly insightful for those who are unfamiliar with Gaia.
Mateo
I was a philosophy student. I read this and Dune. I switched to Environmental Geology.
Rianna
not the book I thought it would be, interesting topic though
Sally
Jun 19, 2008 Sally marked it as to-read-library-has  ·  review of another edition
what truth may he portray?....
Steve
Brilliant.
Issac
Issac marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Eleanor White
Eleanor White marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Vivek Yadav
Vivek Yadav marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Robert Livingston
Robert Livingston marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Dylan Oak hill
Dylan Oak hill is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2014
  • Chaos, Creativity, and Cosmic Consciousness
  • Under a Green Sky: Global Warming, the Mass Extinctions of the Past, and What They Can Tell Us About Our Future
  • Climate Wars
  • The Last Human: A Guide to Twenty-Two Species of Extinct Humans
  • The Goldilocks Enigma: Why Is the Universe Just Right for Life?
  • Symbiotic Planet: A New Look at Evolution (Science Masters)
  • Wholeness and the Implicate Order
  • Richard Dawkins: How a Scientist Changed the Way We Think
  • The Origins of the British: A Genetic Detective Story
  • The Weather Makers: How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth
  • Six Degrees
  • Darwin's Island: The Galapagos In The Garden Of England
  • Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect
  • Right Where You Are Sitting Now (Visions)
  • If the Universe Is Teeming with Aliens ... Where Is Everybody?: Fifty Solutions to the Fermi Paradox and the Problem of Extraterrestrial Life
  • The End of Science: Facing the Limits of Knowledge in the Twilight of the Scientific Age
  • The Great Equations: Breakthroughs in Science from Pythagoras to Heisenberg
  • Eating the Sun: How Plants Power the Planet

James Ephraim Lovelock, CH, CBE, FRS, is an independent scientist, author, researcher, environmentalist, and futurist who lives in Devon, England. He is known for proposing the Gaia hypothesis, in which he postulates that the Earth functions as a kind of superorganism.
More about James E. Lovelock...
The Revenge of Gaia Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth The Vanishing Face of Gaia: A Final Warning Gaia and the Theory of the Living Planet Gaia: The Practical Science of Planetary Medicine