The Gettysburg Address

The Gettysburg Address

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  2,309 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The words of President Abraham Lincoln in the Gettysburg Address are as relevant and meaningful today as they were in 1863. In this handsomely illustrated book, Michael McCurdy's art extends the power and force of Lincoln's speech, imbuing it with an excitement and energy that will ignite the interest of readers of all ages. With a foreword by one of America's preeminent h...more
Published September 25th 1995 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1863)

Angie Mills
Nov 03, 2007 Angie Mills rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: 4th grade & up
The pictures really fit the tone of the speech and show children some of the history behind what was happening at that time. I think this book would be a great one to read when students study the Civil War and have to memorize the Gettysburg Address. It would give visual learners something to help them remember the different parts of the speech.
Nate
I really liked this book. This book is basically just the Gettysburg address in picture book form. The thing I liked was its amazing illustrations. The thing I didn't like is that it doesn't describe things like how did the Gettysburg address impact America or other facts about the Gettysburg address but a pretty good book.
Denise
Of the handful of political speeches that I value, this is one.
Amethyst
Short, sweet, and to the point! Like speeches should be :)
Crystal
Definitely worth spending the time to memorize.
Xdyj
Read it long long ago in high school.
Ken Moten
There is now cleaver or surprising way to introduce this speech. Written 150 years ago today, it is one of the definitive speeches of American history. This short speech was hardly so ambitious from Lincoln's view and he didn't intend it to be more than some token words to dedicate the National Cemetery at Gettysburg.

He started off by reminding the audience present that it had only been 87 ears since the The Declaration of Independence, and now they were about to dedicate a cemetery to those wh...more
Hannah Sidel
This story is the exact speech given by Abraham Lincoln during his presidency! Entirely written by President Lincoln, the book’s first words are the iconic phrase “four score and seven years ago” and ends with “shall not perish from this earth”.
The illustrations are all done in black and white, which reflect many levels of this era. In a passage before the speech, it is mentioned that the illustrations are inspired by real events that occurred during this time.
While it is Lincoln’s direct sp...more
Monchel Jones
"The Gettysburg Address" was very moving to me. Reading this really helped me understand what I have learned before about Lincoln's speech. Before I didn't really grasp a lot of information about the speech like I should have but reading this book helped me understand a lot better. This story was basically about Abraham Lincoln's speech that he made in 1863. I think this book is appropriate for ages 10 and up. The color stuck out to me the most because it shows the year it was in because in the...more
Amy
I really love books like this, in which the original text of the speech is given without all sorts of commentary. Sometimes, the original words can speak for themselves. I wish there were more books like this out there.
Steven
I read the speech, and its slight variances, here: http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/l...

Nothing needs be said of this speech or the significance of it to the history of the United States. It is honest, hopeful, and forward thinking. And short.
Becky
In reading Lincoln's second Inaugural address, I couldn't help but feel hope for the citizens at that time and for us today. I felt reassurance in Lincoln's words: "the Almighty has his own purposes." And the feeling he conveys that God is the one who is ultimately in charge of what goes on in this world, no matter how out of control we feel it is getting. Althought it is hard we do need to follow Lincoln's council (as citizens of one of the wealthiest nations) and help those who "have borne the...more
Lisa A.
If asked what great Americans past or present I would like to meet, Abraham Lincoln would definitely be in the top 10. His eloquent words stir the mind and the soul. They not only acknowledge the terrible state of our country during the Civil War but also give hope about what our country could become. It's been said that he wrote the Gettysburg Address while suffering from scarlet fever, if so he did an amazing job of overcoming his own pain and suffering to bring hope to our nation.
Joe
While we all, of course, applaud the sentiments, the speech is significantly shorter than I had supposed. I guess it adds punch to say a thing in fewer words. I am surprised by the emphasis on the dead and their contribution - in popular depiction, the Gettysburg Address focuses more on the living and what they can do, than the dead and what they can no longer do.
Claire
The Gettysburg Address by Abraham Lincoln was a short story with big meaning! This book was about slavery and civil war. In this book I enjoyed the pictures. My favorite picture was of Abraham Lincoln saying The Gettysburg Address. I learned a lot from this book about slavery.
Jill Brown
The only text in the book is Abraham Lincoln's speech. Every page is a few lines from his speech and illustrated to reflect what he was saying. There is an author's foreward to explain the history of it or importance of it.
Kim
Incredible woodcut illustrations that compliment the text very well. Great spacing of the speech so that there is time to discuss some of the big words that children probably won't know.
Karen
I had to learn this in 6th grade and wanted to refresh my memory. I love the story behind the writing of the Gettysburg address. It should be reread and studied by all Americans.
James
For some reason I forgot that I had read the entirety of the speech at the Lincoln Memorial. I thought that was just an excerpt. This is the recommended viewing area. Amazing, obviously.
Susan Lefebvre
Something every American should read at least once in their life. Completely moving, especially in the times we live in today. We could all take a chapter out of Lincoln's book
Emily
The words in this book are the exact ones spoken by Abraham Lincoln during the Gettysburg Address. I belive this book would be best suited for 3rd-5th grade students.
Josh Hellams
It's a book about the civil war and the Gettysburg address
It's a short book but heart touching
In this book it is about the civil war and abe lincon's dicisons
Juris
Moving, historical and unforgettable. This speech is still important and is one of the most memorable speeches given in America.
Michelle
Excerpt -- Hard to Pick Just One
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.
Alix Turner
Inspiring is one word you could use to describe this book. The trick is getting children and students to take the time to like it.
Marilyn
Outstanding. Lincoln's words set to beautiful illustrations (charcoal?). The foreword and notes are inspiring as well.
Sara Caroline
This book is about the Gettysburg address and when Abe Lincoln got shot . Even though this book is small , it is still very good
Maurice Lacerda
This book makes you understand why Abraham Lincoln is one of the most important and celebrated statesmen of all time.
Jaap
One of the most succinct yet brilliant speeches ever. For a man that "could not speak in public", he did quite well
Tyler
Some of the best speeches ever are super super short. Modern politicians could learn something from it.
  • I Have a Dream / Letter from Birmingham Jail
  • The Declaration of Independence
  • The Constitution of the United States of America
  • The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Constitutional Convention Debates
  • The Proper Role of Government
  • A Letter Concerning Toleration: Humbly Submitted
  • Nature
  • Collected Writings: Common Sense/The Crisis/Rights of Man/The Age of Reason/Pamphlets/Articles & Letters (Library of America #76)
  • Sarah Whitcher's Story
  • John Brown: His Fight for Freedom
  • Theodore Roosevelt: An Autobiography
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule
  • The Advancement Of Learning
  • The Federalist Papers
  • On Duties (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • Diary of an Early American Boy
  • More Than Anything Else
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1861 until his assassination. As an outspoken opponent of the expansion of slavery in the United States, Lincoln won the Republican Party nomination in 1860 and was elected president later that year. During his term, he helped preserve the United States by leading the defeat of the secessionist Confederate Stat...more
More about Abraham Lincoln...
Speeches and Writings, 1832-1858 (Library of America #45) Speeches and Writings, 1859-1865 (Library of America #46) The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations Great Speeches Selected Speeches and Writings

“Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” 189 likes
“Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead who struggled here have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us — that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion — that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.”
83 likes