Start by marking “My Boys Can Swim!: The Official Guy's Guide to Pregnancy” as Want to Read:
My Boys Can Swim!: The Official Guy's Guide to Pregnancy

My Boys Can Swim!: The Official Guy's Guide to Pregnancy

FinallyâA Pregnancy Book That Won't Put Men to Sleep
My Boys Can Swim! tells real men everything they really want to know about pregnancy, such as: How much is it going to cost? Why does your wife primp before seeing her doctor when she hasn't put a stitch of make-up on for you in months? And, most important, what's it going to do to your sex life?
This rollicking, laugh-
Published September 22nd 1999 by Three Rivers Press

To ask other readers questions about My Boys Can Swim!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Boys Can Swim!

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
261st out of 2,412 books — 2,398 voters
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May GaskinThe Baby Book by William SearsThe Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci GoerWhat to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi MurkoffSpiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
Books for Expectant Parents
116th out of 190 books — 131 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 05, 2009 Heidi rated it did not like it

Lots of jokes about not calling your pregnant wife fat. Nice.
Jun 08, 2009 Kaplan rated it did not like it
After reading this book I have come to realize that men, in general, have absolutely no clue how to treat, care and love a woman...This book was awful and disappoints from the very first page. If you have trouble reading anything at all and your common sense about women is considerably lacking, then yes, this book is perfect for you, but for the rest of us that have a clue and do not need to listen to some guy that obviously has little to no experience with emotions before getting pregnant, can ...more
Sep 14, 2010 Kate rated it did not like it
I bought this one for Mark, but I ended up being the only one of the two of us reading it (he didn't like it at all). It was funny, very short, and full of crap. It had a lot of hurtful generalities ("She'll get so fat! She'll get so crazy! Expect to be dodging bullets and ducking for cover constantly!") and not a lot of helpful information. Not recommended.
Feb 24, 2008 Lewis rated it liked it
Recommends it for: expectant fathers with an hour to spare
Shelves: humor
This book is a very short read and you'll be finished in an hour or so. I didn't read the book until after our son was born, so that definitely reduced its impact. It's funny and insightful, but the audience for this book is the same as that for "men's guides to getting married." My wife was much more rational as an expectant mother as a bride-to-be; this book will make you appreciate the mother of your child just a little bit more if she is cut from the same cloth.
Phil Zimmerman
Jul 09, 2013 Phil Zimmerman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Many reviews of this book on goodreads are harsh saying this book is mean to pregnant women. I couldn't disagree more. I loved the tone of the book and it added just the right amount of irreverence and humor needed to rather serious subject.

This book isnt supposed to be "What to Expect" its meant to be more like the "Daily Show". It gives you real helpful information is a fun, silly way.
Jan 19, 2009 Bianca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: The men and the ladies
Recommended to Bianca by:
Originally I bought this book for my husband, obviously from the title, right? But decided to check it out myself. It's very cute, short and to the point. It's like the girlfriends guide to pregnancy for men, with their attention span in mind. I mean, how long can a book about pregnancy, geared towards men, be? Not very...Anyway, it was a fun and humorous read!
Mar 18, 2009 Gina rated it it was amazing
Got this for my husband and I read it first to make sure it would be something he'd like. I read it within an hour and it was funny and informative - just enough to get Daddy-to-be interested and involved with humor to keep him entertained throughout. :)

Definitely a good buy for any daddy-to-be (or mommy-to-be, for that matter!)
Dec 27, 2008 Vassi rated it it was amazing
I got this book for my husband when I was pregnant. I read it and could NOT stop laughing. I love his description of maternity underwear! This books doesn't provide a lot of useful information, but it provides some. It's light hearted and funny. Get it just because it will make you laugh.
Jan 28, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it
I bought this for my hubby when I was pregnant and it was hilarous! I think it was the first time I saw him finish a book and enjoyed it. It gives great advice to new mom's like, just pull over when she has to pee and don't ask questions about her weight.
Jan 08, 2008 Andrea rated it it was ok
I picked this up at the library for my husband. Thought maybe I should read it before I went encouraging him to. The book is written for someone who is either a) stupid or b) looking for extremely light reading. It's not bad; it's just not good, either.
Matt Piechocinski
Sep 11, 2012 Matt Piechocinski rated it it was ok
My wife got this for me when she found out she was was pregnant, and I read to compete against her hormones, which I'm losing the battle against. It is what it is, mostly common sense or knowledge.
Aug 11, 2008 Kristy rated it it was amazing
My husband absolutely loved this book! Short enough to maintain his attention span, but realistic enough to get across what really happens to us women in pregnancy. I even got a huge kick out of it!
Jul 15, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
Got this book for my husband when I got preggo and he liked it so much I read it too. Very funny, a great representation of the pregnancy and childbirth experience from the man's perspective.
Nov 12, 2007 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
The first and possibly only baby book my husband bought for himself.
Lots of pictures. Cartoons even. How come women's books never have fun photos? Only horrid ones of alien fetuses.
Sep 30, 2012 Chad rated it it was ok
Moderately amusing at points. But you can tell it's a little dated - at one point the author refers to TLC as if the channel still showed educational programming.
Jan 21, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Short but very funny book. A great "crash course" for new dads-to-be, and a very funny gift for the man who has just learned he is going to be a father.
Jan 09, 2013 Anna rated it did not like it
This was a very stupid book, and the ridiculous attempts at humor were offensive and insensitive. I pity the woman who has a man like that in her life
Jason Bagley
May 01, 2013 Jason Bagley rated it it was ok
A quick read that only covers from the time your wife becomes pregnant to birth. It's a pretty funny book with some basic info you might want to know about.
Nov 21, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Very funny, even for a girl. I loved this perspective on pregnancy and childbirth. A very fast read, less than an hour forme from start to finish.
Jan 06, 2009 Greer added it
Shelves: for-someone
I bought this for my b-i-l since perfection is his game and with a new baby on the way (Yea Missy) ;-) He needs to find the lighter side of life !
Jul 02, 2012 Rob rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rob by: Jennifer
A humorous take on preparation for parenthood. I had a few chuckles and can't wait to see how much of what was stated is true!
Dec 23, 2008 Megan rated it liked it
My husband got this as a Christmas gift and I read it in one sitting. It was funny and got right to the point.
Oct 20, 2008 Eastofoz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Hilarious! Perfect for guys who may not like to read (it's very short!). Pregnancy from a guy's perspective.
Brandon Barnes
Some crude humor, but overall, oddly, one of the more beneficial books I read while my wife was pregnant.
Aug 22, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
Funny book! I got this book for Heath (obviously) and he did read the whole did I for kicks.
Jun 28, 2009 Shannon rated it it was amazing
my husband loved this book and gets for all his friends when they are expecting their first child.
Jun 02, 2008 Ben rated it it was amazing
Well what can I say ... it gives a very humorous account of pregnancy from a guy's point of view.
Jul 12, 2010 Eric rated it liked it
good and entertaining though not full of stuff you dont already know.
Feb 25, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
Great for the hubbies...
Funny, frank and tender.
Dec 06, 2007 Scott rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fathers to be
Very funny and can be read in a few bathroom breaks.
  • Conception, Pregnancy & Birth
  • Don't Sleep with a Bubba: Unless Your Eggs Are in Wheelchairs
  • Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature
  • The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be
  • The Secret Life of the Unborn Child: How You Can Prepare Your Baby for a Happy, Healthy Life
  • Great Expectations: Your All-In-One Resource for Pregnancy & Childbirth
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • The Mother of all Pregnancy Books
  • A Mind of Its Own: A Cultural History of the Penis
  • Get Me Out: A History of Childbirth from the Garden of Eden to the Sperm Bank
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Baby Furinture, Equipment, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear and Much, Much More!
  • The Complete Book of Baby Names: The Most Names (100,001+), Most Unique Names, Most Idea-Generating Lists (600+) and the Most Help to Find the Perfect Name
  • Jewelry: Fundamentals of Metalsmithing