Start by marking “At Last” as Want to Read:
At Last

At Last (The Idle Point Stories #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  925 ratings  ·  91 reviews
From the moment they met as children, there was something special between Noah Chase and Gracie Taylor, something that grew and matured right along with them. Despite Gracie's troubled family--and Noah's cold, distant one--they man-aged to make each other laugh, and keep each other's dreams alive...

But Noah's father already had plans for his golden boy's future--plans that
Published November 1st 2000 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about At Last, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Last

Michelle Connolly
I thought I was really going to like this book. I love stories when the main characters have known each other for a long time and one of them has always been in love with the other... but in all honesty, this one just didn't do it for me.
For starters, it had way too much backstory. Sometimes it feels like Noah and Gracie are actually secondary characters and the plot revolves around their parents and their dislike for each other.
I never really felt the romance between the "main characters". Wha
Jo *Reality Bites! Let's Get Lost!*
This sort of story is right up my alley, second chance love, family secrets and a cute wee girl :)

Gracie has lived at Idle Point her whole life. Her mother died when she was a baby and her father turned to alcohol. This meant that her Grandmother pretty much raised her. Her father never seemed to get over losing her mother and seemed to forget that he even had a daughter.

When Gracie was 5 years old she met Noah at school. He was a sweet boy who took her under his wing and made her feel welcome a
Katie O'Sullivan
First let me say I enjoyed this book and found myself fascinated by the world and characters the author created. Her descriptions were detailed and loving as she described the coastal community and its inhabitants, and I was engrossed in the love story, rooting for the happily ever after.

But.

The writing style was old fashioned, or old school, or something early 90's... Different enough to keep pulling me out of the story to take a deep breath and say, well that's just her unique style. Parts sou
JoAnne
Idle Point, Maine Book # 1
The story begins with Gracie running away after a meeting with Simon Chase. She goes to get gas on her way out of town. What did he say to her to make her not go to her wedding?

Gracie meets Noah on their first day of kindergarten. Her grandmother works as a cook for his family. Gracie was born after her parents were married 20 years. Her father is 47 and he is a drunk. He started drinking after her mother died when Gracie was a baby. Noah's mother gave Gracie a sweater
Pia
Sandy Grissett
Amazing story! I loved it!

This is a story of Gracie and Noah. They were just 5 years old when they met and she considered him her knight. He was from a rich family and she was from a poor family. Noah's dad sent him away to boarding school. When he returned at age 17, Noah and Gracie got back together. Her mother died when she was very young and her dad turned to alcohol. She was raised by her Grannie. Noah's dad and Gracie's dad had deep hatred for each other and was determined to keep them fro
Veronica
Loved this story! Reunion stories are always so moving because you get to see how two people try to come together after they have spent time apart and grown. Gracie and Noah met in kindergarten and instantly become friends. Family drama, teenage hidden passion and secrets (oh, the secrets!) all conspire to bring them closer while pulling them apart. I loved both of these characters and all of the secondary characters.

The story is told from various viewpoints (even by some minor characters). Thi
Ann-marie
This is my fourth Barbara Bretton book so obviously I am a fan. Noah and Graciela have known each other all their life(since kindergarten). This is not only a love story but tragedy as well. Gracie mother died very young. She had to deal with an alcoholic father and was raised by her grandmother in poor setting. Noah is from a rich family and his father noticing both children care for each other even as they got older did not like it. It is revealed that Noah's dad had a relationship in high sch ...more
Melissa Gillmore
This book had me hooked. I can't pinpoint why, but I found myself searching for any and all spare time to read. Overall I wasn't a big fan of the details of the storyline. The big picture was good, but some of the plot twists were cliché and predictable. They definitely rushed the ending. I would have loved to have seen a conversation between Gracie and Ben at the end (right after she found out the truth) or a little more insight to how they rekindled their love. I loved the different views of e ...more
Gianna
I read this in a day, and even though it is a corny love story, this is soooo my type of corny love story! A must read for all romantics, particularly those who aren't fond of overly sexed-up reads!
Charissa
Contemporary romance that really tugs at the heartstrings. This was written with just the perfect amount of suspense and emotion to keep you hanging and holding on to hope that all will be made right in the end, even when life looks bleak for the characters…and it does. Gracie has the perfect flawed life, yet rises out of ashes with determination to make something of herself. Noah is almost too flawed, yet Gracie’s influence seems to heal his soul. This story takes the rich kid who falls in love ...more
Lizz
Eileen Carter
Love, old rivals, dark secrets make this a story you won't be able to put down

Old secrets, small towns, high school rivals these are things that can be found in any small town in the United States. Idle Point, Maine is no different.
Gracie had a rough start in life with the death of her mother from a car accident. Thankfully her grandma is there to help raise her, as her father is known as the town drunk, who tries to get sober every once in awhile, but never long enough to take care of her. Noa
jackie frye
Grace fell in love with Noah their first day of kindergarten. When she was a child all Gracie wanted was a TV family, a mother and father who loved her. However, her mother had died in a car accident when she was a baby and her father was a drunk who paid her absolutely no attention. Noah was the son of the wealthiest family in their small Maine town. He was shipped off to boarding school when he was only six years old. He and Gracie saw each other infrequently until the summer he was 17. That s ...more
GW
Jun 18, 2012 GW rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Got this free on the kindle, and I really wanted to like it more, but I couldn't. I didn't feel connected with the story, and I felt little to no emotion at all. The story's simply telling you what happened, and you read about the romance - but you don't feel it at all. It's a beginning from when they were little kids to their mid twenties. I mean, there wasn't any depth to the book either. It's in the 3rd POV, and we hear a little bit from everyone. I sometimes like the 3rd POV, but it just did ...more
Jennifer Reyes
At last.

Gracie Taylor fell in love with Noah Chase on the first day of kindergarten. Gracie was the girl from the wrong side of town. But when they were together, nothing else mattered. Until Gracie discovered a secret that sent her running. leaving Noah with a broken heart to match her own.
Now 8 years later katie returns home and must face her past and the boy she has always will always love.

a good book. would make a better lifetime move. it seem to have too much details and yet not enough. it
Adri
The story was sweet if predictable.

What bothered me was that a seasoned writer (I have never read anything else by this author but see on her profile that she has published multiple books) would permit so many inconsistencies and sloppy editing. In some places the 'hippie' family has 11 kids, in another 12. In some places a character is called Ann and a page or two later it is Mary. There are many places where sentences aren't separated by full stops, where words run into one another.

I find th
Mrsbrjean
This book was weird. The point if view switched so often I felt slightly psychotic. There were annoying discrepancies as well. Did Noah go to St Luke's at age 5? But he was in kindergarten with Gracie so that couldn't have happened. Did they breakup when they were in college or high school....very confusing. I think the book would have been good from the third person point of view or just Noah and Gracie's.
Ann Miller
I really enjoyed this many-faceted tale. Reaching back to the character's childhoods added depth to the story. Very satisfying.

The villain could have used a couple positive traits to make him believable. I was afraid Gracie's father had been painted with the same brush, but he found redemption.

A good romance with a lot more depth than I expect in the genre.
Carol Greenwood
There is nothing idle about "Idle Point."

Gracie grows up with the love of her Grandma Del, but without the love of a mother who had died in a car accident,and without her father's love who had become a hopeless alcoholic. Gracie loved learning and school. She also loved animals which inspired her ambition to become a veterinarian.
Angel
Terri
Another wonderful book by Barbara Bretton!

I don't care which of her books I read, I fall in love with the characters and love story she puts on paper. This story is full of love, disappointment, lies, misunderstandings, joy, hope and more love. Read it, you will love it too.
Alboiu
I liked it. Don't know why I didn't love it, but something held me back ... could have been the convenient timings, or the scarceness of dialogue, or the fact that everyone assumed ... it was like a pasttime for them ... A great, relaxing read, all in all. But not amazing and not memorable.
Cindy
I liked this book. A quick read with a predictable ending, or is it? He and she fall in love in kindergarten and never stop loving each other, but their families stand in their way of being together. A few side stories, and one of those books that you sit back and think about it after you have put it away.
Krystal
This story dragged on. There was not enough intensity to build the story. I was bored with it pretty quickly.
Also, was anyone else as grossed out towards the end as I was? Why would Gracie sleep with Noah if she thought they were half siblings??? Just eww..
Samantha
Oh how I love this book! So worth the read, full of feelings, passion, secrets, and the winding roads families can take, or can follow to come together. It's worth the read at twice the price if you like strong beautiful women who can handle life and love.
Deliasue
I loved this book, it kept me interested the whole way through. A bond forged by Love, Noah and Gracie separate on their wedding day and 8 years later find each other again, with a twist and turn along the way. You will enjoy this read.
Nita
This is romance with a little extra depth, set in a beautiful small town. I enjoyed the family history, deep sense of community and struggle the characters undergo. It is a romance so ultimately no surprises but a satisfying read ;)
Peggy
Everything a romance story should be

I would recommend this story to all romance readers out there. It's a wonderful story,and I think you would enjoy it very much. The characters, storyline are very enjoyable.
Angel **Book Junkie**
As much as I thought this was going to be just another romance story it wasn't and I liked it.
I liked the characters especially Noah and Gracie and I liked the story. I always like a good book where that the parents are at odds and the big thing was I just liked the plot. While I did not think that Gracie and Noah had a true romance. I never felt the connection but, I guess that love stories sometimes can be felt but not seen. The thing is I felt the love between the two of them but I never did
Goodreads Librari...: Series - Idle Point 2 16 Jan 18, 2015 05:46AM
  • The Love Of A Cowboy (Callister, #1)
  • The Great Bedroom War (Return to Redemption, #2)
  • Hale's Point
  • Oceans Between Us (A Cinderella Romance)
  • Almost a Bride (Wyoming Wildflowers, #1)
  • Just the Way You Are
  • Donovan's Angel (Donovan's of the Delta #1)
  • Bound To You
  • Memories
  • At Long Odds (Caspian Chronicles, #1)
  • Secret Vow
  • Kissing Kelli  (Texas Legacy Romantic Comedy, #1)
  • More Than Memories
  • Moonlight and Margaritas
  • The Christmas Tree Treasure Hunt
  • Across the Creek (Jesse & Sarah, #1)
  • Betting Hearts (Rancho Del Cielo, #1)
  • Amazon Lily
Barbara Bretton is the USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of more than 40 books. She currently has over ten million copies in print around the world. Her works have been translated into twelve languages in over twenty countries.

Barbara has been featured in articles in The New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Romantic Times, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Herald News, Home News, Somer
More about Barbara Bretton...

The Idle Point Stories (2 books)
  • Someone Like You
Casting Spells (Sugar Maple, #1) Laced with Magic (Sugar Maple, #2) Shore Lights (Paradise Point, #1) Spun By Sorcery (Sugar Maple, #3) A Soft Place to Fall (Shelter Rock Cove, #1)

“The parent-child connection was as deep and wide as the ocean, as mysterious as heaven, as impossible to explain as love.” 0 likes
“Sometimes the little voices in your head were all that stood between you and oblivion.” 0 likes